News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Pflum

Re:Who are you guys......really???
« Reply #325 on: March 21, 2006, 02:47:03 PM »
Name:  John Pflum, Jr.
Hometown:  Cincinnati, Ohio
Status:  Married going on 13 years and an 8 year old daughter
Index:  14
Home Course:  Don't really have one but I live close to The Vineyard, a great Jack Kidwell course, so I end up playing there a lot.  The staff are jerks but the course is nice.  
Best Golf Hole:  Bandon Dunes, #18, October 9th, 2005
Claim to fame:  Pound for pound, the longest hitter you have ever seen.  
Host of RSG Cincinnati http://www.rsgcincinnati.com
--
jvdp

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #326 on: May 29, 2006, 12:28:08 AM »
Name: Bill Shamleffer
residence: Springfield, Mass (from: St. Louis, Mo.)

This is my first posting.  I found this site by accident during some googling for golf sites back in 2003 and have been a regular reader since.  Only now am I joining as a poster in addition to being a reader.

I began as a caddie in 1977 with my older brothers at Algonquin Golf Club in St. Louis, Mo.  (One of my top five favorite courses due to my emotional attachment, but really a very fine course with some fun holes.)

From 1977 to 1991 I had jobs at golf courses.  These included caddying, the grounds crew, in the bag-room/cart-barn, and on the driving-range.  It also included two years as caddie master at Algonquin in 1988 & 1989 (we had about 70 active caddies at that time).

Being a caddie though was my favorite job.  This eventually led to caddying in half-a-dozen PGA events including the 1990 U.S.Open.

Since 2001 I have resided in Springfield, Mass. as a life insurance underwriter for MassMutual.  Currently I am also an evening law school student, which should result in a J.D. in Dec. 2007.

Golf though is my hobby, and an obsessive one.  I enjoy accumulating a golf library, now numbering over 200, covering golf course architecture, golf history, and books about caddies.

Since my high school days of caddying and reading Golf Digest and Golf Magazine I have been interested in golf course architecture.  Since moving to New England I have played George Wright in Boston and Highlands on the Cape, and I have walked Bethpage Black, Winged Foot, and Sleepy Hollow.  In addition I have taken my daughter to walk Yale, The Orchards, Longmeadow, and this summer have planned our family vacation on the Cape so that I can take my wife and 7 year-old daughter to see Newport C.C. host the Women's Open.  (My then 5 year-old daughter actually enjoyed sitting by the 9th at Yale and watching some of the groups in the NCAA regional qualifier.)

In addition to golf, my other interests include walking new cities to view the architecture, classical music, live theater, the history of St. Louis, and baseball (specifically the Cardinals).

Although I enjoy seeing the great golf courses (and playing them when possible), I have a special place for municipal and public courses.  I treasure playing courses like Breckenridge in San Antonio, Swope in Kansas City, George Wright, and especially Forest Park in St. Louis, and currently Franconia in Springfield, Mass.

Due to my very busy schedule (see above) I will not challenge as one of the top posters by quantity.  However, I look forward to contributing when possible, and especially about St. Louis golf.

Finally, I must comment that I think this is the BEST internet site of postings.  The commentary and debates are so more intellectual and reasoned then anything else of this type occurring on the internet.  Even when the debates tend to get somewhat testy, they still resemble a good caddie yard disagreement of opinions, rather then as the group talk time in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest.  The difference is that on this site, although one is unlikely to change a heartfelt opinion, the response is with some sort of reasoned analysis and not just by attacking the other's competence to participate in that discussion.

I think one of the principal items that separate this site from those other sites is that on this site contributors post under their real name.  I think this practice is what results in the higher quality of debates.  Therefore, this is a practice I will gladly continue.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #327 on: May 31, 2006, 08:18:54 AM »
Name: Andrew Mitchell
Lives: Baildon, West Yorkshire, England
Financial burden: Two children at University!
Handicap: 8
Home course: Northcliffe, Shipley, W Yorkshire (Vardon/Braid 1926)
Profession: Tax accountant

Favourite courses (travelling in a southerly direction):
Royal Dornoch
Royal Aberdeen
The Old Course
North Berwick
Alwoodley

Courses on my wish list:
Turnberry
Royal County Down
Royal Liverpool
Royal Lytham
Wentworth
Sunningdale

I've been following this site for a year or so & posting (infrequently) for the last six months.  I found it whilst researching and organising a trip to NE Scotland taking in Royal Aberdeen and Cruden Bay.

I would not say that I'm knowledgeable about golf course architecture but I enjoy reading about and playing great golf courses.  I'm looking forward to meeting people at the Buda Cup in October.

2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Bill_McBride

« Reply #328 on: May 31, 2006, 10:36:19 PM »
Andrew, you should consider coming to Hoylake to play in the GCA Buda Cup event in October - that will get you three or four rounds on Royal Liverpool and one on Wallasey!

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #329 on: June 01, 2006, 08:24:36 AM »
Bill, I'm planning on being at Hoylake for the Monday of the Buda Cup but I have two golf trips away in September which will use up my cash and most of my wife's goodwill so I cannot stay and play for all three days! I'm hoping to fit in another copule of rounds later in the week, possibly at Wallasey on the Wednesday and then another either Thursday/Friday.

Look forward to meeting you then.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Andrew Balakshin

« Reply #330 on: June 01, 2006, 09:07:43 PM »
Howdy!!!

I just joined the forum so thought I would introduce myself. I am 22 years old and from British Columbia, Canada (the west coast). I live in a town called Chilliwack but am currently working for a construction company making a new golf course in Kamloops (i’ll try and post some pictures of it later). I go to school in Vancouver so I am only in Kamloops for the summer.

Overall, I would have to say that my favorite type of golf is mountain golf (good thing I live in BC  ;D). My favorite courses are Chateau Whistler, Capilano, Jasper Park, Greywolf, and Pacific Dunes (how can you not love that course?). I also used to work maintenance at a course in Chilliwack called the Falls (www.thefalls.com), which is mountain golf at its craziest :P

I have been in golf course discussion withdrawal ever since they removed that one from the golfdigest website so I am glad I found this one. Talk to you all later!

Andrew

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #331 on: June 27, 2006, 08:30:35 PM »
Ryan Farrow
Pittsburgh, PA
Landscape Architecture Student at Arizona State University
Currently owned, I mean employed, by Oakmont County Club

I passed over this site probably over a year ago and kind of kick it to the side because of the less than stellar web design. It wasn’t until I stumbled across the discussion board months later that I began to take interest in classic golf course architecture. I usually check up on the site daily and try to read as much as possible in my spare time.
I still have two more years of school left which is kind of sad but I can’t wait to work full time at a design firm in the future. I am in the process of finding an internship for next summer; hopefully in the Phoenix area or Traverse City (I think Tommy would prefer that). I am still looking forward to visiting my first Mackenzie, Strantz, Doak, C&C, Richardson, the mediocre Jeff Brauer, etc… course  and meeting some GCAers along the way.

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #332 on: June 27, 2006, 10:10:53 PM »
Wyatt Halliday
Denver, CO
Married, three kids
Member, 2 Doak Courses
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 12:38:54 PM by Wyatt Halliday »

JR Potts

« Reply #333 on: June 27, 2006, 10:30:03 PM »
Matiral Status: Married with three girls (4/04)(10/05)&(5/08)
Profession: Banking, Real Estate and Small Business Attorney.
Handicap: 3.3
Club: Medinah C.C.
Golf History: Club Champion in 2003...runner up in 2005.  Was a member of the University of Illinois Golf Team from 1996-1998...however, have no real "college golf" accomplishments due to a Miller Lite obsession.
Favorite Course: Pine Valley
Favoirte PGA Tour Players: D.A. Points, Steve Stricker, Luke Donald (Go Big Ten), and David Toms
Golf Dream: To learn as much about the game as possible, to play golf in England, Scotland and Ireland, to play the Bandon Courses, to play Prarie Dunes, Augusta National, Cypress Point, Shinny and NGLA, and to build my own course.
Personal Dream:  To raise my children to love and respect the game and to teach my wife to love and respect the game (but not too much).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 01:48:00 PM by Ryan Potts »

jpenkwitz

« Reply #334 on: June 28, 2006, 09:57:29 AM »
New Member of GCA

Jeff Penkwitz, 45
PGA Professional
Former  Director of Golf of The Golf Courses of Lawsonia in Green Lake Wisconsin  1992-2004

Grew up in Elkhart Lake Wisconsin and worked at Quit Qui Oc Golf Club (Bendelow)

Also a professional in Florida 1987-1992

Vista Royale (Vero Beach)
Vista Plantation (Vero Beach)
Dodger Pines CC (Vero Beach)  Now closed
Sebastian GC  (Sebastian)

Spear headed the Lawsonia Links restoration project (tree removal etc)

Now a own a restaurant in Green Lake ... down the road from Lawsonia...JT Skewers....so if in town checking out the Links...check out our steaks!  We have alcohol    ;)

Gary Daughters

« Reply #335 on: June 28, 2006, 04:08:00 PM »
Gary Daughters, 46
Divorced.  Beautiful 6 yr old daughter, Ava
Atlanta
News Writer/Producer (seeking frame for my Peabody)

Spotted a set of Jr. clubs at Sears age 7.  Convinced my parents to spot me 35 cents/week until I hit $20.  Kept them until I was 13.  Learned to play at "Par 56" in Marietta, Ga., as did former Lockheed mechanic Larry Nelson.  Other than my nascient baldness, this is all Larry and I have in common.

Played one match in HS and impressed my coach with a nifty up and down for par at the conclusion. Then I gave him my card.  As I said, played one match.

Gave up the game for 10-15 years, but was prevailed upon to get in with a group at work.  Showed up in cutoffs and tennies with my mother's clubs and shot 94.  My friend likes to say it was the last time he beat me.

Visited Scotland last year and plan to go back.  Some of you may know of my thing for Tain GC.

Favorite course is the one where you meet someone new on the first tee and share a beer with them afterwards.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 04:15:04 PM by Gary Daughters »
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

MargaretC

« Reply #336 on: August 22, 2006, 05:45:00 PM »

Not much has changed since I last posted one of these -- whenever that was.  I'm older, my husband's older, the kids are older...my index is about the same. :'(

Margaret Carroll (maiden name) aka Meg
Westchester, NY
Husband: Sean 41
Six children:  Andrew 12, Bally 10, Cairn 8, Dunn 6 and 3-year-old twins:  Ennis and Erin
Physician - Internal Medicine
Index: 8.6  :'(  Periodically, I don't keep score and try to play from my husband's tees -- waaaay back -- to teach me that my static index could be much worse ::) and to chill-out about it 8) -- my husband views it as "bonding" and I let him think that's my motivation. ;)

Member: Not anytime soon with 6 kids -- finally paid-off my school loans -- play public

In my 10th year of playing golf.

Our 3 oldest also play golf -- their choice, honest! ;D

In the last 17 years, we've lived in Seattle, Portland, Chicago, D.C., Boston and now NY.  

I am intrigued by golf architecture and prefer links-style -- the more challenging, the better.  I am constantly amazed by the abilities of many of you to remember every detail of golf courses.  The "detail" section of my brain is crowded with medicine and patients.

In addition to Oakmont, I love Bandon and Pacific Dunes as well as every course we've played in the British Isles.  Really enjoyed watching a couple of rounds of the 2006 Women's Am at the Witch Hollow Course -- very impressed with the course.

This last week, my husband and I have each been recovering from very minor surgery -- no kids -- can't golf, can't...  Thus we've been restricted to surfing the web, reading and TV -- it's been a treat to participate in this board more than is typical (infrequent).  Sutures come out tomorrow and our life will begin to transition to normal with the gradual return of our kids from indulgent stays with grandparents, aunts and uncles and our return to work.  The 10 days of quiet sounded better on the front end -- the no golf and no...got old REALLY quick! :o  Oops!  Of course we also missed our children -- there's quiet and there's QUIET -- the latter just isn't as pleasant as you may think.  But they each called several times a day to check on us. :)  Looking forward to the return of our controlled chaos! 8)

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #337 on: August 22, 2006, 06:43:27 PM »

Hello.

I am a lawyer practicing construction ligitation in Vancouver B.C. and have lived in this area all my life. I currently live in White Rock BC which is just across the border from Blaine Wa. and I look out towards the Semiahmoo resort from the house.
I have been a member of Point Grey Golf Club in Vancouver for many, many years. Point Grey is an old parkland course which opened in 1922 and has gone through several renos, most of them fairly minor. From the back tees it is about 6800 yards. Lots of trees, relatively flat with a good mix of holes. We can usually play all months of the year with some exceptions. The last time a Canadian won the Canadian Open was at Point grey when Pat Fletcher won in 1954. Hosted Canadian Women's Open in 2003.
I am currently a 10 handicap, ranging up to 13 at times.
Began reading seriously about golf course architecture in mid-late 80s after first reading Herbert Warren Wind, which led me to Darwin and many more and into the world of architecture. Never really appreciated the art until I went to Scotland in 1991 for 2 weeks and played all of the Open courses and then some. Never before had I appreciated links golf including the subtle undulations, the wind, the different turf, lack of trees and water hazards. Like many of you, it totally changed my perception of the game in many ways.
Since then I have been reading more, studying what I can when I get time from work and family. I returned to St Andrews and the area around Edinburgh with my family a year ago.
I absolutely love Bandon (been there twice) and have been lucky to play a lot of great courses including Pebble, Cypress, Spyglass, Pasa, SFGC and Olympic, Sahallee many times, and also a few others such as Cherry Hills, a few in S Carolina, Banff, Jasper etc. I have been fortunate. Lots of great courses in BC and Washington.

I found this site during a search for info on the Sheep Ranch. Through Google, a thread on the Sheep Ranch from GCA appeared and I just kept digging around the site. It has become addictive. Lots of great information, lots of laughs and an appreciation for what architects do, the problems they face, etc.

I would love to have a get together of members in this part of the world, say somewhere near Seattle which could bring in members from the northwest US and BC.

Thanks for letting me on board.

Bob Jenkins

Chris Kurzner

« Reply #338 on: August 22, 2006, 07:24:20 PM »
Here goes:

Chris Kurzner
Attorney (general litigation)
Dallas, TX
Handicap index 3.3

Home course is Lakewood CC (1912 Tom Bendelow - 1947 Ralph Plummer - 1995 Coore & Crenshaw). I'm on multiple committees, including Greens & Grounds this year.

I'm 41, married with three great kids (only one of which is showing much interest in golf, though).  Didn't play much golf growing up--played tournament tennis in South Florida until I burned out around age 17.  Picked up golf in college and law school (U Florida Golf Course is a great track - former Gainesville Golf Club - 1921 layout - Donald Ross).  Dropped the game nearly entirely for about 10 years after school (young lawyer, multiple kids, etc.)  Just now hitting my stride again and love this site.  Thanks to all for the contributions.  Fascinating stuff.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 10:08:47 AM by Chris Kurzner »

Matthew Rose

« Reply #339 on: August 23, 2006, 08:20:41 AM »
Matthew Rose
Married
Musician & partial retail music-shop owner
Born: Lincoln, Nebraska
Resides: Denver, Colorado
Handicap Index: 3.8

[Updated July 2010]

My list of courses played is really quite pathetic compared to everyone else's, so I won't bother listing it. Probably the most well known course I've played is the TPC of Scottsdale. I've also played two Australian Open venues, Commonwealth and Moonah Links. I have yet to play any of America's 100 Greatest Courses and must admit this is a sore spot of mine, particularly when I joined this forum and saw everyone else's lists.

My interest in golf course design basically has existed since early childhood, when I would look through Golf Digests. Back around 1984-85, Golf Digest had a section in the back of the magazine called the Tournament and TV Golf Guide. This usually contained a small preview of upcoming PGA tour events with information on TV coverage. They also featured a partial map of the golf course, usually the last four or five holes. Occasionally some LPGA and Senior events were listed as well.

For the majors, particularly the US Open, a full color foldout map of the course venue was always available somewhere in the magazine. I ripped out and posted many of these on my bedroom wall; some of them I still have in a folder somewhere.

While other kids drew pictures of whatever things kids draw, I drew diagrams of golf holes. At first it was copying real courses, then I made my own up. My golfing grandparents got me a hardcover edition of The World Atlas of Golf as a Christmas gift one year and I cherished it greatly.

Many of my weekends during adolescence and even into high school were spent at my bedroom drafting table, drawing full color course designs on large sheets of 22" x 28" posterboard I found at the drug store.

My father did corporate real estate and was director of store planning for his company for many years. He had a proper drafting table in his office to do store layouts. On Saturdays he often went in to catch up on a few things and I used to draw courses on his desk. Occasionally he made blueprints out of these for me.

I was pretty much convinced this is what I wanted to do for a living.

For many reasons it never worked out, particularly because I didn't get things right academically after high school. I also wanted to pursue my other lifelong dream of music.

I lived in Australia between mid-2002 and early-2009, and married a Melbourne girl. While there I tried a couple of times unsuccessfully to get on Royal Melbourne and Metropolitan. I did get a good look at these and some other sandbelt courses like Victoria and Huntingdale when I attended a couple of Aussie Opens and Aussie Masters tournaments.

The bug has never gone away completely. I've designed a lot of courses on computer, for video games such as the Jack Nicklaus series and now Links 2003. Most of my designs tend to look like US Open venues, without the super rough. I tend to like classic parkland venues, although I'm not really into long, boring RTJ-type slogs.

I'm only playing about 2-3 times a month these days, due to having a 10-month son, a busy work schedule, and an economy that doesn't allow for a great deal of disposable income.

This site's been a blessing to me. It has really given me cause to look beyond the superficial and beyond tournament reputation as means for determining the best of golf course architecture. It has also given me cause to appreciate some courses I played in my past that at the time, I was perhaps too immature or too distracted by scenery to really form a proper opinion.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 07:30:36 PM by Matthew Rose »
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #340 on: August 23, 2006, 10:17:43 AM »
Mark Pearce
Age 46
Married (Lorna) with three boys (Cameron, 14 and Finlay and Gregor, 12 year old twins)
Member:  The Northumberland GC, Newcastle upon Tyne, Crail Golfing Society
Resides:  Newcastle upon Tyne, England

Started playing golf when I met my wife at law college (age 28).  Now playing off 12.5 and hoping to get that back to the 10.5 it was when I first wrote this in 2006.

Favourite courses - there are so many, but Muirfield (my father in law is a member), Ganton, Machrihanish (my wife's brother in law is from Cambeltown), Dornoch, Brora, Elie, Burnham & Berrow, Saunton (which reminds me, I've seen very little mention of Saunton on here, I wonder why?), Huntercombe (my best man's club), Woodhall Spa and the Berkshire all feature.  Since first written I have to add Silloth, Deal and Kington to this list for different reasons.

I may be at the point where children are actually beneficial to golf as I can disappear with Cameron for a couple of hours at weekends and play 9 holes.  That was hopeful!  All three boys play golf but all are keener on cricket, except during our holidays in Elie.  That doesn't stop me helping out as a member of our junior committee, though, and Cameron has become my partner in club foursomes events.  Perhaps 2011 will be the year we put his handicap to proper effect.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 01:17:01 PM by Mark Pearce »
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jim Colton

« Reply #341 on: August 24, 2006, 10:11:19 AM »
Jim Colton, 36 (Updated: July 2010)
Family: Married, 3 kids, 8,6,3
Handicap:
Courses: Ballyneal Golf and Hunt Club
Favorite Courses Played: Ballyneal, Cypress Point, Pacific Dunes, St. Andrews (Old), Sand Hills, Crystal Downs, Blackwolf Run (River), Whistling Straits (Straits), Carnoustie (Championship), Pinehurst #2, Kingsbarns, Bandon Dunes, World Woods (Pine Barrens), Kingsley Club, Kiawah (The Ocean Course), Arcadia Bluffs, Bandon Trails, TPC at Sawgrass (Stadium), Bethpage Black

« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 12:29:09 PM by Jim Colton »

LPolisano

« Reply #342 on: August 24, 2006, 10:58:55 AM »
Lee Polisano, 37
Live in Haddon Heights, NJ
Married, a kid on the way (1/07)
Index 5.4
Associate Member at Scotland Run, Steven Kay design in Williamstown, NJ
Caddied for a decade at Hollywood GC in Deal, NJ
Got interested in GCA on a trip to Ireland in 1997.  Played the new at Ballybunion and just didn't like it.  Later in the week, played Lahinch and loved almost every single thing about it, including the cross overs and The Dell.  Started asking myself, why did I dislike one course so much and love another course so much?
Been lurking for a couple years on GCA.com, but just started posting.  I love this site!

Gary Slatter

« Reply #343 on: November 13, 2006, 08:31:58 PM »
Gary Slatter, DOG Lucayan CC Freeport Bahamas, Canadian,
pro since 1966, former Captain CPGA, worked in Canada, US, Jamaica, Greece; played most of Europe, US and Canada.
Love playing the classic courses (and lucky my wife likes to play them too) and really enjoy CGA; opened a lot of courses, really enjoy the challenge of new turf; also re-opened courses. Score between 69 and 89, depends on interest!
My father worked at Royal York during its construction.
Born in a clubhouse in 1945! anyone else born that dclose to golf?
Played over 200 games with Moe Norman, the best ball striker in the past 50 years. Still cheer for Sandra Post and think Marlene Stewart Streit is the best golfer I've ever played with.
Did I say I love CGA?
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Chris Cupit

« Reply #344 on: November 13, 2006, 10:05:00 PM »
Chris Cupit, 38
Alpharetta, GA
Married, no kids (that I know of)

I come from a big golfing family--my dad and four of his brothers were golf pros--my unlce lost the US Open in a playoff in '63 and one year when he won the Canadian Open, my other uncle was the runner-up.  So, I'm the chop in the family.

I have played in 5 USGA and 5 R & A Championships--nothing great but hung around a few times.

UVA grad in 1991  played golf in college  studied Latin and Greek as my major?!  Useless major but I'm decent at trivia.

Owner/operator of Rivermont GC in Alpahretta that my dad started--just finished a renovation of the entire course

Member of The Honors Course since 1991, volunteer and serve on the board of the GSGA, A(atlanta)JGA and the USGA's mid-am committee.

Lifelong amateur--never understood what a re-instated amateur is--isn't that just a former golf pro?  Traditionalist who secretly longs for a golf czar to banish metal woods, u-grooves, long putters and any rule that allows you to touch your ball without penalty for any reason!!

Paul Jones

« Reply #345 on: November 13, 2006, 10:13:55 PM »
Paul Jones, 32
Lafayette, LA
Married with 2 kids: 5 year old daughter and 3 year old son

My family and I have lived in Atlanta the last 8 years and just moved back to Louisiana where I joined Oakbourne CC (with the help of John Bernhardt).

I work for Microsoft in their Consulting Division so I travel a lot; however, I never leave without my clubs.

Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #346 on: November 13, 2006, 10:37:18 PM »
Gary,

Having played with Moe Norman 200 times, you must have a few previously unknown Moe stories.
Also, how was he able to develop such a repetitive swing? I don't think I have ever seen anything like it in that it never wavered, at least in the video I have seen. Did he ever work the ball?

Bob,

Gary Cowan played on the senior tour for a few years but never did do well. As for Nick Weslock, one of the TO people would be more up to date than a westerner.

Bob Jenkins

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #347 on: November 13, 2006, 10:59:35 PM »
I'm 34, married but no kids, living in downtown Toronto. Pretty green here as a poster but I spent quite a while lurking before starting to chime in.

Don't have any club connections so it's a constant parade of daily fee courses -- Lakeview, Don Valley and the like. Since I work off hours as a newspaper editor, so I often play on mornings or Fridays. I don't mind travelling a bit, which really breadthens the possibilities - Muskoka, Niagara, etc.

Lorne Rubenstein wrote in Moe Norman's obit (2004) that he and Nick Westlock were still playing together a fair amount that summer.

Joshua Pettit

« Reply #348 on: November 13, 2006, 11:39:10 PM »
Joshua Pettit
22 Years of age
Student of Landscape/Golf Architecture
University of Massachusetts
Tamalpais Golf Design, inc.

I began to play golf and work in the industry at the age of 15.  I grew up in the northern region of the San Francisco Bay Area and have worked at several golf courses all throughout the state.  My passion resides in the field of Golf Architecture although my primary hobby is being stuck in the studio at 3am constructing a model.

Truly though, I am most fascinated by the lives and work of the majority of golf architects that were prominent during the Golden Age, and I aspire to be of such excellence as I begin to practice the profession that they mastered.  

"The greatest and fairest of things are done by nature, and the lesser by art."

Jim Johnson

« Reply #349 on: November 14, 2006, 09:55:37 PM »
Jim Johnson
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada ['bout 800 miles north of Denver, and 'bout 80 degrees colder].
48 years on the planet, married to a "casual female golfer", with 2 teenagers, both non-golfers.
Small business owner...a 5-pin bowling center and an indoor golf [simulation] center.
Golf highlight...probably this past Spring, attending the Monday practice round of the Masters. Wow. A beautiful golf course, on a beautiful day.
Still looking for that elusive hole-in-one.
I usually golf 25-30 games during our 6-month season. Handicap of 15.
Ongoing discussions with Jeff Mingay & Rod Whitman about building a public course in the Regina area. Will let you know how that proceeds.

JJ

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back