News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dave Bourgeois

Re:Who are you guys......really???
« Reply #300 on: March 08, 2006, 07:47:29 PM »

White Plains, NY
Was once a chemist and now use that knowledge for Evil as I am now a Sales Rep. for a scientific Company

Ended last year at 14.8
Played the majority of my rounds @ Bethpage State Park in 2005, have a baby on the way so 2006 rounds will be closer to home

Favorite Courses I've Played

Bethpage Black, Red
Pinehaven Country Club (Albany, NY)
The Architects Club (NJ)
Beechtree
Palmetto Hall Cupp Course

A short list of where I'd like to play

Fenway GC
Somerset Hills
NGLA
Sand Hills
Yale
Machrihanish
Bandon

Very interested in learning about Raynor and Colt and Alison. I'm also drawn to all things quirky!

I'm a short but straight hitter that has flashes of brilliance.  If I could stop casting and chip better I might just get down to a 10.  I've learned a ton on this site and look forward to more lively discussion.  I too hope to play with some members soon.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 08:11:54 PM by Dave Bourgeois »

Chris Parker

« Reply #301 on: March 08, 2006, 07:50:11 PM »
My name is Chris Parker.  I am 32 years old.  I live in Peterborough, Ontario, with my partner Dayna, my one-year-old son Sawyer, and my two step-daughters, Karley, 12, and Keyana, 8.

My educational background is quite diverse.  After graduating high school in London, ON, (where I was born and raised), I attended Sir Sandford Fleming College's School of Natural Resources in Lindsay, ON, where I obtained a three-year Diploma in Parks and Forest Recreation Technology.  Upon graduation I moved to Peterborough, ON, where I worked for a year before enroling in Trent University.  Initially I majored in Environmental Studies, but later changed to a joint-major in History and Canadian Studies.  I graduated from Trent in 2000 with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in History.

I am currently employed by General Electric Canada's Motors Division in Peterborough.  I work in assembly in GE Peterborough's AC Traction business.  Specifically, we manufacture AC-electric traction motors that are used to propel GE Locomotives, which are built in Erie, PA.  It is not glamorous work, but it pays reasonably well, is low-stress, and I never have to take my work home with me, which leaves me a little more time to pursue other interests.

In the golf realm, I consider myself first and foremost a researcher and historian.  I only took up golf ten years ago, and I am not yet much of a golfer.  I consider 100 a good score!

Some of my specific areas of interest include:  the origins of golf in Canada; the history of golf course development in Canada; the life and works of Stanley Thompson; and the history of golf course architecture.  I'm certainly not an expert in any of these areas, but I do my best to keep informed.  Between work and being a Dad, I don't get to do nearly as much research as I'd like, but whenever I get the chance I like to visit archives or other sources of primary information.  I also have a modest library of golf books that continues to grow unabated, much to Dayna's chagrin.

When I'm not working or spending time with the family, I do like to golf.  I only played five rounds last year, but I often manage to get out a dozen or so times a year.  Playing  Stanley Thompson courses is a priority for me, as I'm working toward a long-term goal of playing them all.  I also like to check out courses of some historical significance, as well as newer courses that seem interesting and well-designed.  

I'm a left-handed golfer, and I play an extremely mixed set of clubs, including a vintage Ray Cook putter, a Yonex driver, a Ping demo six iron, a Big Bertha 4-wood and a Cobra pitching wedge.  Some day I'd like to get a set of Pings.  

You can check out a website I put together here.
"Undulation is the soul of golf." - H.N. Wethered

James Bennett

« Reply #302 on: March 08, 2006, 09:02:01 PM »
Chris Parker

A left-handed vintage Ray Cook Putter!  I don't know that I have ever seen one of those.  The right-handed ones were terrific - real class in their time.  I had forgotten about Ray Cook putters.  

Thanks for reminding me of my memories, and good luck for some sub-100 rounds in 2006.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Steve Pieracci

« Reply #303 on: March 08, 2006, 10:58:06 PM »
Steve Pieracci

Age 46
San Jose, California
Married, 2 kids, daughter 11, son 9
Manager (used to be Engineer) Lockheed Martin Space Systems Co.

Share alma matter with Mr. Benham and Mr. Huckaby.  Santa Clara University.

Friends with Mr. Benham since freshman year in high school.

NCGA index = 6.6
No golf membership affiliation
Play the usual Nor Cal venue:
Pasatiempo, Poppy Hills, Poppy Ridge, Cinnabar Hills.  
Recent exposure to Metropolitan and Monarch Bay :)

Had the pleasure of meeting a few of you at KP IV and Dixie Cup II and had a blast.   :D

One trip to Scotland in May 2004, and can't wait to go back.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #304 on: March 09, 2006, 09:56:27 AM »
An update on my info, as its been 2 yrs since i did this:

Brad Tufts

Hometown: Marblehead, MA
Residence: about a mile from TCC in Brookline, MA
Club(s):  Tedesco CC (Wogan, Stiles) in Marblehead, potentially Concord CC (Ross) sometime soon, Va-Jo-Wa GC in Northern ME
Cap: 0.4ish, best score in a rd. is -3 (about 4-5 times, 67-69)
-Alumnus of Middlebury College in VT and 4-yr Golf Teamer NESCAC golf champs '99, '02, I was first team in 01, 02
-Architecture background:  Armchair, convinced a professor to let me write my senior history thesis on the history of American Golf Course Architecture, Golf Digest panelist.
-Top 5+1: Essex CC (MA), Prestwick, Ballybunion, Merion, Old Course, Cruden Bay
-Best golf moment: Made rd. of 16 in Mass. Amateur last year, finished 20th in MassGA rankings for 2005
-Worst: Led all divisions after first round at New England Intercollegiate in fall 02, 148 was in the playoff, went four over on last three holes to shoot 150, bonehead
-No holes-in-one, maybe 10 hole-out eagles though, longest from 185.  Witnessed my father get a hole-in-one for a car in a charity tournament!
-Traveled for golf: Ireland, Scotland, Arizona, Florida, Alabama, LA, Myrtle, Pinehurst, all around the Northeast and New England, and many more in the future.....I have Cape Breton (when Cabot Links is done), London Heathland, Wales, Scotland again, Ireland again, Michigan, New Mexico and Australia on the (quite a) list.

Looking forward to in 06:

Bandon (x4 courses) and the public Pumpkin Ridge course
Worcester CC (I hope, MA am qualifier at my home course)
Boston GC and Old Sandwich?
Sunday River GC (Golfweek's #1 public in ME?  Do they even have 18 holes open yet!?)
Perhaps a weekend in RI (Newport National, N. Kingstown, Shelter Harbor?)
Trip to Maine in Oct. to see Kebo Valley, Cape Arundel for the third time, and Samoset
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 10:04:25 AM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Ed Tilley

« Reply #305 on: March 09, 2006, 10:11:25 AM »
Ed Tilley

Age 33
Oxford, England
Married, 2 daughters - 4 & 2
Finance director for a toy retailer with 35 shops in UK (samples come in useful for birthdays and Xmas)

No longer a member anywhere nor playing as often as I'd like. Official handicap 9 although I don't play to it anymore. Learnt my golf at Frilford Heath GC near Oxford. Try to play as many new courses, particularly links, as possible. New ones pencilled in for this year are Silloth, Formby, and Royal St.Georges.

Favourite courses - Royal County Down, Dornoch, Enniscrone, St.Enodoc, Perranporth, Ballybunion (both courses), Machrihanish, Sunningdale, Frilford Heath Green course(particularly the original 9 holes on a summers evening, designed by Harry Vardon)

Would love to play - NGLA just to see why you all rave about it so much, Sand Hills because it looks fantastic, TOC (major hole in my golf course experience), Royal Melbourne, Machrie, Bandon

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #306 on: March 09, 2006, 01:11:07 PM »
Name: Matt Cohn
Job: Golfsmith salesperson, looking for something much better. Help and advice is always appreciated!

Handicap: Guessing, +2 or +3
Low Round: 65
Usually play at: Metropolitan

Known on GCA for:
- My "In My Opinion" piece on golf in Australia
- Posting from a very skilled player's point of view
- Enjoying and encouraging get-togethers with other GCA'ers

My story:
I grew up in San Diego and spent most of my life and time playing golf. Starting at age 10, I spent every summer playing a full schedule of tournaments - locally at first, then nationally and internationally before too long. I was also one of those kids who drew pictures of golf courses all the time and knew all the holes on the top courses. I was lucky to get to travel enough to see more golf courses than many people get to.

A lot of schools recruited me and I ended up at the University of Oklahoma. I had my highlights - I was ranked in the top 25 of the NCAA for a while, and I got to play with a lot of guys who are now on tour. The free golf trips were nice too, to say the least! I discovered GCA during college. GCA has been my source of information about golf course architecture; I can't say I've ever read a textbook on the subject!

At the end of my junior year, I wasn't feeling good about the situation in Oklahoma, and I made a decision to spend the first semester of my senior year in Melbourne, Australia. (Originally I decided on Sydney, and I put a post up on GCA. Then about 15 Melbournians told me where I really belonged if I wanted to play golf. They were right!)

Since I graduated from OU, I've lived in San Francisco for a year (cool), NYC for a year (I had to leave. I didn't even get to play a single round of golf), and now I'm back in San Francisco. My game is back, too!

No family or anything like that. I don't even know what I want to do with my life, and I really do want advice if anybody has some to offer! I also want to meet more GCA'ers around the Bay Area. I've been lucky to meet GCA'ers in a few different places and it's really a great group of people.

That's me!

Where I've played:
Oak Hill, Inverness, Mauna Kea, The Rim, L.A. Country Club, Torrey Pines, Southern Hills, Doral, Oak Tree, Point O'Woods, Royal Melbourne, New South Wales, Kingson Heath, Paa-Ko Ridge, Talking Stick, Moonah Course, Apache Stronghold, Wente Vineyards, Prairie Dunes.

Oh, and email me if you're around the Bay and want to go play!

~Matt Cohn

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #307 on: March 09, 2006, 03:03:04 PM »
John "Tiger" Bernhardt, 53
P. O. Box 52309
Lafayette, Louisiana 70505

Attorney; own a small Oil & Gas  Exploration Co.

Handicap anywhere from 2 to 8 depending on the amount of practice and time spent on here. I am feeling pretty 8ish these days.

Oakbourne CC, Lafayette, La
Champions GC, Houston, TX
Mountain Lake CC, Lake Wales, Florida

LSU Tigers, I was born a Tiger, I live a Tigers life and will one day hopefully many many years from now die a Tiger.

I have learned a great deal here and hopefully contribute as well. The friends I have made from GCA are some of the most interesting and best people I have ever met. This site is a wonderful gift to my life.

Favorite courses that I have played. TOC, Royal Dornoch, Cruden Bay, Prestwick,Turnberry Ailsa, Machrihanish, Muirfield, N Berwick,Carnoustee, Rye, St. Edonoch, Sand Hills, Cypress Point, Pebble Beach, Olympic Lake, SFGC, Pacific Dunes, LACC North, Seminole, Cuscowilla, Friars Head, Bayou DeSaird CC(childhood Club), Oakbourne CC(adult primary club). Every course I have played was wonderful and brought something to the table architecturally to learn from.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 03:14:16 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Jesse Jones

« Reply #308 on: March 09, 2006, 03:09:07 PM »

Hello all,

Name: Jesse Jones

Family: Wife-Kim  Daughter-Cydney 18 months.(Late starter, I know.)

Handicap:11--playing to 15 now--in the middle of a move from Cincinnati and haven't picked up a club in 2 months.

Best Round: 72 Tobacco Road

Home Course:Looking for a club to join in the Seattle area.

Favorite Courses:
Pinehurst #2
Teeth of the Dog
Whistling Straits (Straits Course)
Cascades
Bulle Rock
Tobacco Road
Old Works
Beechtree
TSN

My Story: My father was in the army so I learned on military courses. Played just to make him happy until I got to college. Then I caught the bug and I've had it ever since.

Sean_A

Re:Who are you guys......really??? New
« Reply #309 on: March 09, 2006, 03:48:09 PM »
?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 06:27:02 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

rocket

« Reply #310 on: March 09, 2006, 05:47:26 PM »
John Bautista

Toronto, Ontario

Penn State University Grad

I am constantly on-line with GCA but I rarely post.
Though I am on the maintenance side.    I have a passion for golf architecture.   A student of architecture I have been involved in all major facets of restoration and renovation in improving course conditions, asethics and playability.

Courses I have worked at:  
Bowmanville Golf Club  (C.E. Robinson front 9)
National golf Club of Canada  (Tom Fazio)
The construction of The ridge of Manitou  (Thomas Mcbroom)
San Franciscio Golf Club  (A.W. Tillinghast)
Baltusrol Golf Club  (Tillinghast)
Pinehurst #4  (Tom Fazio)
York Downs Golf Club  (Geoffrey Cornish)

Favorite Courses Played:
SFGC,CPC,P.B.,MPCC, Pacific Grove, origingal Harding Park and Sharpe Park, Lincon Park SF MUNIS ,  Pinehurst #2, National GCC, Tabacco Road, Upland Golf club in Toronto and Inverness in Toledo, Ohio

I want to visit Japan and visit some of the Charles Alison courses.

Favorite Architects:
Par 4's  Tom Doak
Par 3's Donald Ross
Greens: C&C, Fazio(Andy Banefield), Seth Raynor
Par 5: Alister Mackenzies
Rounting: TOC
Bunkering: the bunker GURU, Mike 'the maverick' Stranz
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 05:50:48 PM by R_J_Bautista »

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #311 on: March 10, 2006, 05:06:34 AM »
 I did this a long time ago and my respose was only one or two lines so this is more of an update.

Jeff Fortson
Family: Married, son (13yrs old), daughter 11yrs old)

Handicap: +2.6
Best Round: 62
Holes-in-one: 5

Always had a fascination with architecture but really started to become an architecture freak after meeting Tommy Naccarato in 2000 when he led me to GCA.com.

Favorite courses played: TOC, CPC, Royal Dornoch, Cruden Bay, Shinnecock Hills, NGLA, Riviera, Winged Foot (both), LACC (North), The Creek, Olympic (Lake), Carnoustie, Prestwick, Turnberry (Ailsa), Bethpage (Black & Red), Quaker Ridge, Pebble Beach, Pasatiempo, Newport CC, Pinehurst #2, Royal Aberdeen, Royal Troon

Favorite architect(s): MacDonald/Raynor, Old Tom Morris, & Thomas

I look forward to playing as many courses as I can designed by our collection of architects in here.

I like GCA for the usually informative discussions, course reviews and interviews.  I have met some good friends here, as well.  Get out and play with other GCA contributors, they are almost always good guys/gals.

Jeff F.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 03:40:09 PM by Jeff Fortson »
#nowhitebelt

Tim Leahy

« Reply #312 on: March 10, 2006, 07:04:39 PM »
Relatively new member, but have been reading the site for a couple of years after reading about it in Sports Illustrated article.
Grew up in Sacramento, went to college at Pepperdine Univ.in Malibu in 1980, revived the golf team, and stayed in Socal for twenty years until I moved back to Sacto in 2000.
45 years old, single but looking for a golf widow.
14 handicap, was once a 4.
I have played over 350 courses mostly in Calif., but also in Hawaii, Mexico, Georgia, South Carolina, Colorado and Nevada.
My favorites:
Olympic Lake
Pebble
LA CC
Riviera
Sandpiper in Santa Barbara
Torrey South
Rancho Murieta near Sacramento, Ca
Kapalua

Courses I want to play:
Cypress Point
San Francisco CC
Sherwood CC
Bandon
St. Andrews
Anywhere in Ireland

My golf highlight was walking Augusta National and seeing the par 3 tourny on a Wed. practice round in 1993. It really was like visiting the Cistine Chapel.
Golf highlight was going 6 under in four holes in a college tourny. two eagles on par fives and two birdies, shot 32-42 on a par 72, and was about an 8 hdcp at the time.

Life objective to get a hole in one and play a round on Cypress Point.

update 7-22-10, I have now played Sherwood and got a hole in one!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 01:06:19 PM by Tim Leahy »
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Bill_Yates

« Reply #313 on: March 11, 2006, 12:46:42 AM »
Bill Yates
Pebble Beach, CA
Born and raised in Pittsburgh - Steelers and Pitt Panthers fan
Founder/CEO Grey Town Golf, LLC and Pace Manager Systems

I'm a long-time GCA reader and now I'm a newbie poster.

I've been a performance improvement consultant for manufacturing companies all my life.  Ten years ago I began applying my management and process improvement techniques to golf courses.  Since that time I've worked with more than 100 municipal, high-end public, private and resort courses in the U.S., Canada, the UK, and Asia, helping them to improve the pace and flow of play.  The highlight here was working with the Links Trust on The Old Course then being asked to consult with the R&A on the 2002 Open Championship at Muirfield.

I also started applying my course measurement and simulation techniques to courses under design and construction.  Working with architects, my highlight came with having the opportunuity of meeting David McLay Kidd and walking with him on the site of St Andrews' Course #7.

I have a great wife, four grown kids that are wonderful and a beautiful grandaughter.  I'm a lucky man.

Before I die - I want to design a golf hole.  For real.  

Bill Yates
www.pacemanager.com 
"When you manage the pace of play, you manage the quality of golf."

David Ober

« Reply #314 on: March 11, 2006, 01:17:54 AM »
David Ober
Family: Married, 3 children: Jeff, 24; Paige, 21; and Jack, 19
Handicap: +1 to +2 in the winter, +2.5 to +3.5 in the summer
Best Round: 64 (8-under) -- Canyon Crest CC (6,570/72.0/132) Competition: 66 (6-under) -- El Prado Golf Course (6,850/72.0/124)
Holes-in-one: 1

My fascination with golf course architecture is nascent. Since joining this site, I have started to pay more keen attention to this aspect of the game.

Favorite courses played: Pebble Beach, Riviera, Rustic Canyon, Oak Valley, Hillcrest CC. Rancho Santa Fe, Pinehurst #2, Oakmont (Glendora), Maderas, The Crosby, North Ranch, Torrey Pines South, Bear Creek.

Courses I want to play: Bandon Dunes, Bandon Trails, Pacific Trails, Cypress, Spyglass, Ballybunion Old, Shinnecock Hills, Sand Hills, National Golf Links, Los Angeles CC North, Bel-Air, Lakeside, The Valley Club of Montecito, La Purisima, Pasatiempo.

Highlight of my golf life: Making 12 birdies and 3 eagles in shooting 73, 69, 69 for three rounds at last year's SCGA Mid-Amateur Championship at North Ranch CC in Westlake Village, California to finish in a tie for third.

Before I die, I would like to win an SCGA event and make it to the finals of a USGA event. I'm 38 years old and weigh 300 lbs., so I need to make it happen quick! :-)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:30:38 PM by David Ober »

Emmy

« Reply #315 on: March 11, 2006, 11:31:52 AM »
Who: Emmy

Residence: Currently- Woodland, CA, near Sacramento, CA,
with a part-time residence in Santa Clara,CA. Moving to the Monterey Peninsula in '06. That is, if I can ever squeeze in enough time to get this office packed and the house ready for market.                

Profession:           Business Consultant (within the Golf Industry)

Areas of Focus:   Media & Marketing Services
                           Governmental & Allied Relations
                           Speakers' Rep, Life Coach

Primary Clients:   Northern California Section of the PGA
                           Communications Consultant (12 years)

Golf Course Superintendents Assoc. of Nor Cal
                           Media & Public Relations Consultant (4 years)                      

Affiliations:           California Alliance for Golf, Board Member
                           California Golf Writers Association, Member
                           Northern California Golf Association, Member
                           Northern California PGA, Honorary Member
                           Play Golf America Initiative, Supporter                          
                           RailPAC-Rail Passenger Association, Member
                           Voice of the Valley Television Show, Producer
                           Yolo Fliers Club, Member

Favorites Played: Coyote Moon GC
                           Cypress Point Club
                           Lahontan GC                        
                           Monterey Peninsula CC (S)
                           Pasatiempo GC
                           Pebble Beach GL
                           San Francisco GC
                           Spyglass Hill GC

Background: My initial interest in golf course design started gently, when I was working in the SF Bay Area in the field of land use planning and real estate. Although I wasn't personally involved in golf course development, I did support the efforts of others who were faced with the daunting task of obtaining GP and zoning approvals for projects nearby. I also had the opportunity to be a proponent for golf while serving on the first golf course guidelines committee for Santa Clara County.

Before long, I found the study of golf and its culture becoming of paramount interest in my life. As luck would have it, I was offered an assignment with the Northern California PGA, serving as a public spokesperson and communications consultant for the association. A similar assignment emerged with the Golf Course Superintendents Association of Northern California.

Lucky me, as I am fortunate to be able to work with/for 1600+ individuals (superintendents and golf professionals) that are committed (on a daily basis) to enhancing golf experiences for others. Through close observation of their work I've grown to appreciate the many traditions associated with the game. I also care about the future of golf and its ability, to once again, become a vibrant industry/business. I support efforts like Play Golf America and other initiatives designed to bring new faces to the sport and former players back to a game they once loved.

Best Day of All in Golf: Playing an afternoon round of golf at Pebble, then at dusk getting married overlooking the 18th green. It was a very private ceremony, just the judge and the two of us (at least we thought it was private), until we heard a mysterious congratulatory applause from a foursome of golfers just completing their round.

Toughest Days in Golf: Reporting the sudden death of a pro or superintendent.

Best Conversations in Golf: It never fails, it's always when having dinner with Ken and Kathleen Venturi.

Recent Best Moments In Golf: Watching Jim Langley of CPC being honored as Nor Cal PGA Golf Professional of the Year and of course, Bob Lapic of Orinda CC being honored as GCSANC Golf Course Superintendent of the Year.

Most Personal Moment in Golf: Receiving distinction as an Honorary Member of the Northern California PGA.

Scott Cannon

« Reply #316 on: March 12, 2006, 12:37:02 PM »
Scott Cannon

Austin, TX

Former PGA Member 15 yrs. (1990 - 2005) Now Oil and Gas Man.

Club affiliation none. Financial reasons...see former profession.

hdcp 3ish

Started with PGA in Westchester Co NY. Being from  Houston TX I had never played anything like those courses.

Humbled to have played list:
Shinnecock
Pebble
Winged Foot E&W
Fishers (My favorite by a nose)
Maidstone
Olympic (lake)
Quaker Ridge
Colonial
Homestead
Los Angeles CC
Riviera
Bethpage
Bel Air CC
Baltimore CC east
Atlanta CC
Austin Golf Club
Sunningdale New, Old and NY
Willie Nelson's 9 holes (I think, my short term memory of that place is somewhat clouded)

Wish list
PVGC
CPC
TOC
Merion
NGLA
Seminole
Sand Hills
The Bandon's and Pacific's (all surprises huh)

Jonathan Cummingham

« Reply #317 on: March 12, 2006, 02:29:09 PM »
I've been a member for about a year.
Jonathan Cunningham, 27, single. I live in St.Marys Ontario
Member at St.Thomas G&CC, Stanley Thompson and
St.Marys GC, not worth the drive.
President of Castlebay Developments International Inc.
A custom exclusive home builder, operating in the Bahamas and Canada.  I work and golf in Canada during the summer and build in Caribbean during the winter.
There are currently five new courses approved by the Bahamian government.  There's nothing better than building houses on a golf course that over looks the ocean.
5 handicap
Best round: 75 Pebble, tips
2nd best: 77 Tullymore, 5 over first 4 holes, tips
Best golf trip: 8 rounds in Cal. Pebble, CPC, Spyglass, SFGC, Olympic, Wente's Vineyard, Mayacama, Pasatiempo
Longest golf trip: Scotland 4 months, played everywhere, caddied at Troon to pay for the trip.
Hole-in-one: back nine at Tuckers Point Club Bermuda, 213 yards over ocean, 3 iron.
Golf trips this year: Pinehurst, Vegas, Scotland, Poland, and Dubai if I have any money left.
Courses you must play before you die: Kingsley Club, Shadow Creek, Wolf Creek, CPC.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 08:31:06 PM by JLC »

Kerry Gray

« Reply #318 on: March 13, 2006, 09:43:21 AM »
Kerry Gray
Toronto Ontario
Newbie!! Please be gentle.
I am a Supply Chain Manager.

I am not currently a member of a course but I am in the market. I might just sign up at Scarboro and drive Wayne crazy.
I have played golf for over 20 years. I will be 40 years old this summer.

I don’t have a long resume of great courses played but I have seen a few.
I get to play a fair amount of golf for a Canadian. I played about 100 rounds in 2005.
My handicap index is currently 13. As my friend Marty says, "for how much you play, I thought you'd be better".

Most of my vacations are used for visiting family in Asia so I cannot do the world golf tour that many others in the forum have enjoyed. I look forward to planning mine in a few years.

I have been to one GCA Toronto chapter gathering and thoroughly enjoyed meeting other people with a similar passion for the game. Most of my friends and family think I am crazy.
I cannot thank Ran enough for this forum where I have learned a great deal. I look forward to getting to know all of you at some point.
Cheers.

Paul Payne

« Reply #319 on: March 13, 2006, 06:41:27 PM »
I am a few months new to this group but never really checked in officially.

I am Paul Payne.

I am a materials engineer from Minneapolis. I am married with one daughter in college and two dogs and a few cats which stayed home.

I play to about a 6 handicap.

I am an absolute golf addict. If I see anything with a picture of a golf course I must read it. I fly weekly for business and I always find myself scanning the earth below for courses. I discovered Google Earth only to find myself doing the same there.  

I have played a lot of golf while traveling, so here is a short list of the favorites I have played, not necessarily in order.

Sand Hills
Merion
Firestone
Tobacco Road
Palmetto
Aiken CC
Harvester
Royal St. Kitts
Burnham and Berrow
Turnberry
Whistling Straits
Ocean Course
Huntsville CC (I know it is Reese but I did like it)
Mount Vintage
Greywalls
Giants Ridge (Both)
Minikahda
Hazeltine

Courses I'd love to play one day

Cypress Point
Pine Valley
Friars Head
Bandon (all)
Cape Kidnappers
Barnbougle
All of Ireland
TOC

And probably around 100 more.

I have had the privilege of joining this group with the hope of learning much more about course architecture. So far it has been enlightening to say the least.

Cheers.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #320 on: March 14, 2006, 01:59:15 AM »
Since others are updating and I haven't since I joined...

Doug Siebert
Iowa City, IA
Single
Independant consultant in enterprise computing and storage
Handicap: been varying between 4 and 7 so far in the 00's
Holes in one: 2 (235 yard 4 iron on Carnoustie's 16th, 185 yard 7 iron on my home course's 13th)

My first trip to Scotland in 1991 really opened my eyes to architecture and how golf courses should play, and joining GCA back in 2002 has only opened them wider.

A by-no-means complete list favorite courses I've played:  TOC, Ballybunion Old, Prestwick, Lahinch, Muirfield, North Berwick, Harbour Town

A by-no-means complete list of some courses I plan/hope to play someday:  Royal Portrush, Machrahanish, Cruden Bay, Sand Hills, Friar's Head, NGLA, Cypress Point, Pine Valley, Pinehurst #2, Painswick ;)

A course I would be willing to grovel for an invitation to but I'm certainly not going to hold my breath over:  Augusta National

I've only played with a couple GCAers, I hope to make it to a GCA outing here someday!
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Andrew Thomson

« Reply #321 on: March 21, 2006, 01:35:57 AM »
Update: 2010
Andrew Thomson
29 - Married - 2 Children - Charlotte Grace & Harry Charles
Home Course: Brisbane Golf Club
HCP: 6
Profession: Marketing Manager
Favourite Course: Royal Melbourne West (Local) Royal County Down (Intl)

(updates: 5 years older and 2 children!)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 09:07:46 AM by Andrew Thomson »

Jason Shanks

« Reply #322 on: March 21, 2006, 09:59:26 AM »
Jason Shanks
Family: Married, 1 child: Ellie, 18 mos.
Handicap: 5
Best Round: 73
Holes-in-one: 0
Double Eagle: 1

Long time follower of this site, but a new poster.  Stumbled across golfclubatlas.com when I was researching and planning my first trip to Scotland (leaving in about 2 months).  

My father got me interested in golf when I was quite young.  However, I gravitated to the more "popular" sports, i.e. baseball and football, and didn't touch a golf club from time I was about 8 until my 2nd year of law school.  During that time, however, I never lost my affinity for the game.  When I did start playing again, I realized that I had come back to something that is of indescribable importance to me - the game of golf.  

Golf course architecture was not something I was terribly interested in until my first year of law practice, when I foreclosed on an old East Texas golf course on behalf of a client.  While I had never heard of this course before, I decided that I wanted to play the course before it was turned back over to the bank.  I was delighted to find a great old layout on a magnificent piece of dirt, that was in terrible disrepair.  When I got home that night, I did some research to learn more about the course.  I learned that the course (then known as Briarwood Country Club, now redesigned as an upscale golf community) had some history behind it, including serving as the host course for the former Southwest Conference Championship, with former winners including Fred Couples and Payne Stewart.  The course was not designed by a famous architect.  Instead, it was designed - as separate 9's - by two local golf pros.  The "playability" of the course was nothing short of perfect - at least in my opinion.  From that day on, I have been very interested in what goes into constructing a great golf hole from a player's perspective.  

Favorite courses I have played (just the top 4, in no order):

Ocean Course, Kiawah
River Course, Kiawah
Mauna Kea, Hawaii
Brook Hollow, Dallas

Wish list:

TOC
Royal Dornoch
North Berwick
Pebble Beach (had the opportunity to walk the course, but didn't play)
Bandon/Pacific Dunes
Pine Valley
National Golf Links

Fortunately, I will be crossing the first 3 off my "wish list", as well as a few other links courses, in about 2 months.

-Jason

Dave_Miller

« Reply #323 on: March 21, 2006, 11:53:53 AM »
Tom Paul
Newtown Square, Pa.
handicap: 2-3
Club: Gulph Mills G.C. (Ross 1916)

Dave Miller
Dover, MA
age - Younger than TE Paul; Older than Mike Sweeney
Spouse - Pattie
3 children - grown and out of college
Handicap - 12.5
Club:  Charles River CC - Newton Centre, MA
         Aronimink GC -  Newtown Square, PA
         Farmington CC - Charlottesville, VA
         Admirals Cove - Jupiter, FL
         St. Andrews Golf Club - Fife, Scotland
Fairways and Greens,
Dave
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 02:28:20 PM by Dave_Miller »

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #324 on: March 21, 2006, 02:14:23 PM »
I also like Rich's idea for a signature file...should help in getting to know others better!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back