News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Braunsdorf

Re:Who are you guys......really???
« Reply #200 on: May 05, 2004, 11:33:29 PM »
Douglas R. Braunsdorf
Hometown: Sayreville, NJ
Current Residence: Lansdale, PA
Education: Rutgers University, B.S. 5/2000
Handicap: 11.5 (10/07) 14.4 (5/2012)
Home Courses: Bethpage State Park, Lederach Golf Club. Greate Bay Country Club, Somers Point, NJ

Bag: Some are the same, some are different. 
Titleist 905 T 9.5, Speeder S
Titleist 904 F 15 deg strong 4 wood (TT Dyn Gold Stiff)
Hogan 3h hybrid, TT Dyn Gold Stiff Shaft
Hogan Apex Plus 4-PW 1" longer, 4 deg up (Hogan 4 Stiff shaft)
Vokey 52,56,60 raw wedges (All TT Dyn Gold Stiff)
Ping Anser Putter
Pro V1x
Hogan Bag  

Amazing to find this earlier tonight.  I've been around here 8 years now, and it seems like yesterday I came across this site.  Nothing but good has come from it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 08:15:37 PM by Doug Braunsdorf »
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Philip Gawith

« Reply #201 on: May 06, 2004, 04:11:12 AM »
philip gawith
age - 40
born in south africa, living in london the past 10 years.
handicap - 9
work - financial public relations
i am a member at huntercombe, a lovely willie park jnr designed "inland links" course near henley; and royal liverpool/hoylake. also hermanus in south africa.
i would always be happy to try and fix a game with any GCAers who are keen to play at huntercombe or hoylake.
have played a good portion of the better courses in the UK and Ireland, plus a fair sprinkling of Spain and Portugal. Also played some golf in florida, south carolina, oregon and california.

Matt_Sullivan

« Reply #202 on: May 06, 2004, 05:59:28 AM »
Matthew Sullivan
Hometown: Singapore (lived here 4 years, but originally from Sydney Australia)
Work: Publisher
Member at Laguna National in Singapore
Handicap: 4

Play a lot of different tracks in Asia and Australia (on a lot of the top rated courses in Asia Pac). Never played in the US or Europe. Never played in Japan, even when I lived there for a while.

Favourite course I have played: Royal Melbourne West and East, followed by Victoria, and then Newcastle (great course, nice people, fantastic value).
Most disappointing/most over-rated: Blue Canyon (Canyon course)
Most pleasantly surprised by in the last 12 months: Sorrento, in Victoria (not rated much, but a lot of fun and in good condition)
Pleasantly surprised because course met expectations: National Moonah
Best course in Singapore: Laguna National Masters Course
Most over-rated ocurse in Singapore: Sentosa (Serapong)

Andy Hughes

« Reply #203 on: May 06, 2004, 09:44:24 AM »
Home Courses: Congressional, Falls Road (MD)
Woohoo, Doug, I like that juxtaposition of courses!  ;)
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

John_Cullum

« Reply #204 on: May 06, 2004, 10:34:53 AM »

Member at Musgrove Mill GC near Clinton, SC...

And you should know in South Carolina it's pronounced "CLINNON"
Raynor was a hack

Peter Pratt

« Reply #205 on: May 06, 2004, 11:14:05 AM »
Peter Pratt
East Lansing, MI, but graduated from U-M several times
Health policy researcher and consultant
Married to a golfer (she went with me to play golf in Ireland before we were married--I'll never let her go now!); one daughter, 7, who is a gymnast, but does watch some golf on TV.
Hdcp: 7
Grew up playing the wild greens of Forest Lake CC (Bloomfield Hills, MI, Bill Diddel, site of Mickey-Wright-won Women's Open in 50s)
No home course, but have played most of the better Michigan courses
Oddity: I still think High Pointe is a great course
I'm trying to convince my wife and/or business partners that the national membership at the Kingsley Club is important for business and quality of life.

wsmorrison

« Reply #206 on: May 06, 2004, 11:37:54 AM »
Doug,
I am starting to amass some materials about Flynn and Rock Creek Park (courtesy of Patrick Hitt).  I've seen attributions to Flynn regarding East Potomac Park.  Can you share the information you have regarding EPP and Travis?  Thanks.
Wayne

Andy Hughes

« Reply #207 on: May 06, 2004, 11:56:14 AM »
Maybe I should've said E. Potomac Park or Rock Creek, then!(actually, in their day, these were probably both wonderful courses, Rock Creek was a Flynn design and E. Potomac was Travis)
Interesting.
Those courses even around/playable anymore, Doug?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

CBoudin

« Reply #208 on: May 06, 2004, 12:11:22 PM »
Chris Boudin
Home:  Grew up Warminster, PA.  Currently Middletown, DE.
Job:  Assistant Pro, Frog Hollow Golf Club
Education:  University of Notre Dame, 1998
Favorite Course:  Blackthorn, a Hurdzan/Fry in South Bend, IN (and superior to the C/C University course IMHO)

My story is that about a year ago I walked away from a pretty good job as a Database Administrator because I could not stand sitting in a cubicle staring at a computer all day anymore and took a rather hefty pay cut to start all over.  I've never been happier.  Found GCA while dreaming of all those courses at which it would be a privilege to be employed.

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #209 on: May 06, 2004, 01:27:00 PM »
Adam Foster Collins
Graphic and Communication Designer
Handicap 16(ish)
New Member of Brightwood G&CC (Park Jr, Ross 1914) in  Dartmouth, Nova Scotia Canada
Married to a beautiful Canadian Girl.

I run an design business called Epiphany Creative Solutions with my wife. (always looking to do golf-related design in order to combine obsessions)

No kids - yet. I've played two 'cat cards' keeping kids at bay, but I notice our trips into GAP KIDS "just to look around" are becoming more frequent - hmmm, maybe it's time for a 'dog card'...

I started playing golf obsessively 5 years ago and got interested in GCA at the same time. Read MacKenzie's Golf Architecture, Tillinghast's The Course Beautiful, and Doaks Anatomy of a Golf Course right in short order and have been transfixed ever since.

I have yet to experience almost all of the world's greats. I have only seen Highlands Links and St. George's so far from that list. I have played a number of very good Canadian courses and look forward to more discoveries.

I think this is an amazing forum, made great by the common bond of a passion for the game of golf. I found it in my searches for GCA-related sites and feel blessed to be a part of it.

Thank you, Ran for putting it together.

Casey Wade

« Reply #210 on: May 06, 2004, 03:08:06 PM »
Casey Wade
PGA Head Golf Professional at High Meadow Ranch Golf Club in Magnolia Texas(near Houston)

Ferris State University graduate of 1996, 30 years old, not married, and president of the professional golf management alumni association.

Past work experiences include internships at Horseshoe Bend CC in Roswell GA,
TPC at the Woodlands in Texas,
Eldorado in Cadillac, MI.  
Weston Hills CC in Fort Lauderdale,
Perdido Bay Golf Resort(now the Sportsman at Perdido) in Pensacola,
WedgeWood Golfers Club in Olive Branch, MS,
Lake Windcrest Golf Club in Magnolia, TX
Whispering Pines GC in Trinity TX.

It's great to see so many contributors from the Michigan area!  Got hooked on the sight from former boss and contributor Andy Hodson.

Mike Devries-Love Pilgrims Run!  My old college pal Jerry Palinski used to work there!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2004, 03:09:27 PM by cwade »
Some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #211 on: May 06, 2004, 03:17:22 PM »
Casey,

Do remember if you ever met GCAer Steve Lang at The Woodlands?

I played WedgeWood in MS back in March of 1997.  When were you there?  (WW and my home course were once Golf South-managed clubs, so I played there during a conference in Memphis).

Casey Wade

« Reply #212 on: May 06, 2004, 04:19:09 PM »
Scott,  I was at the Woodlands for a 6 month college internship in 1995.  Is Steve still in the area?  I'd like to meet him!  I was at WedgeWood from October of 98 to August of 2000.  Which GolfSouth/GolfMatrix(the company that bought GolfSouth) were you a member of?
Some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #213 on: May 06, 2004, 04:39:10 PM »
Steve is still in the area.  Another regular here, Mike Nuzzo, is a Houston resident.

I'm still a member at Wake Forest GC in North Carolina.  As you probably know, Golf Matrix went under.  We are now managed by a local firm that runs one other local club.

I got around to playing a few sister courses under Golf South.  WedgeWood, River Downs, Lee's Hill, South Riding, Pleasant Valley, Southland, and the one south of Orlando.  Played Foxfire before GS was affiliated with it.

Eddie Adams

« Reply #214 on: May 14, 2004, 12:26:26 PM »
   Eddie Adams
   St Andrews Scotland
   Greenkeeping Consultant European Tour

Eric Johnson

« Reply #215 on: May 14, 2004, 12:31:17 PM »
How is the new job going?

Eric Johnson
Bandon Dunes

igrowgrass

« Reply #216 on: May 14, 2004, 09:28:47 PM »
Sean Reehoorn
Just graduated from Michigan State University
Start my new job on Monday...Asst. Super. at Canoe Brook Country Club, Summit, NJ.
Handicap: 9
Driver TM 300 Proforce Shaft
3 Wood: Head Premise 15degree
Irons: 962B
Wedges: Cleveland Gunmetal 52, SW 56(steel)
Use to be a better player before I started growing so much grass, but can still get it around.  Originally from an area an hour north of Seattle.  Official home course, Avalon Golf Links. (Designer: Rober Muir Graves)

TEPaul

« Reply #217 on: May 14, 2004, 09:47:46 PM »
"Use to be a better player before I started growing so much grass,"

Sean Reehorn:

Welcome to Golfclubatlas.com---the Friday night barroom brawl!

Your mission impossible--should you choose to accept it is not grow so much grass but to figure out the best way at your new club to STOP GROWING GRASS (as they do in Australia and other places that seem to know what they're doing)!!

igrowgrass

« Reply #218 on: May 14, 2004, 09:56:04 PM »
Mr. TEPaul
I would like further instructions, in how I must stop growing grass, I believe I am missing what you are trying to say.  Thank you for the formal invitation to GCA.

I went to college to learn how to grow grass, and I believe I must have not been paying much attention in class, but I can kill it with the best of them.

Steve Lang

« Reply #219 on: May 14, 2004, 10:15:29 PM »
 8)

Sean,

I'd advise you to search under maintenance meld and expect your experience will become proportional to grass killed
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #220 on: May 15, 2004, 08:40:26 AM »
Sean,
  I also am a graduate of MSU (2002), and trust me, all you have to do is shut the water off!! ;D and throw Dr. Rogers teachings out the window...though being at Canoe Brook, you may be throwing your job out the window!!
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Eddie Adams

« Reply #221 on: May 15, 2004, 01:09:00 PM »
  The new job is going well Eric, I have been at 2 events so far Seville and Milan. My wine cellar is getting better every trip and I am of to France,Sweden,Russia and Switzerland over the summer.
    Hope all is well regards to all
         Eddie

Philippe Binette

« Reply #222 on: May 16, 2004, 08:34:04 AM »
Philippe Binette,  Boucherville, Canada (yes a frenchie)

22 year-old   Hdcp: 7 (was formely a 2)
Home course: Vercheres GC (two-time club champ)
Course in the area: nothing spectacular... (maybe Mt Bruno)

2003 Intern with Renaissance Golf Design
worked at Barnbougle Dunes Golf Links

Student in landscape architecture at U de Montreal
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 08:35:10 AM by Philippe Binette »

Markep

« Reply #223 on: May 16, 2004, 09:53:13 PM »
Anthony -- why do you think Sean might be throwing his job out the window because of a job at Canoe Brook ???

Sean,
  I also am a graduate of MSU (2002), and trust me, all you have to do is shut the water off!! ;D and throw Dr. Rogers teachings out the window...though being at Canoe Brook, you may be throwing your job out the window!!

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #224 on: May 16, 2004, 10:45:32 PM »
Mark,
  Sean was talking about killing/growing grass, therefore I responded in how to kill grass, but knowing a bit about Canow Brook, I'd try to keep it on the greener side....That's a GREAT place to start a career...not throwing his job out the window.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 10:45:48 PM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back