News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

dfloyd

Re:Who are you guys......really???
« Reply #175 on: March 19, 2004, 12:36:37 PM »
Derek Floyd,
long time lurker but really never post.
turfgrass management degree, Michigan State
avid golfer handicap rising maybe a 6

work experience
winged foot golf club
piping rock club
augusta national
national golf links of america
orchard ridge country club

i love this site, its provided me with many different views of courses, specially the ones i have worked on. i have gained so much respect for architecture and the importance of understanding it with regards to how to manage a course.
i am currently  looking to try to relocate closer to family in the midwest and tackle my first superintendents position.  but how can you leave the northeast and all its great courses.  oh well 14 days to go and i will be in augusta, ga to volunteer
for my 5th masters tournament.

Steven_Biehl

« Reply #176 on: March 19, 2004, 01:13:55 PM »
Steven Biehl (have posted as Steven B)
Turfgrass student at Purdue University
Have always lived in West Lafayette
I do not have a home club, but play most of my golf at Harrison Hills in Attica, IN.
I have been spending my summers in Michigan lately and would love to meet up with anyone for some golf this summer.

"He who creates a cricket ground is at best a good craftsman but the creator of a great hole is an artist.  We golfers can talk, and sometimes do talk considerable nonsense too, about our favourite holes for hours together." - Bernard Darwin, Golf

David Wigler

« Reply #177 on: March 19, 2004, 01:17:14 PM »
Don,

When did you move to Oregon?  Is this a good thing?  Hopefully we can tee it up again.
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #178 on: March 19, 2004, 02:41:26 PM »
Wayne Wiggins, Jr. (aka Wigs)
34 yrs. old
Married, no kids
handicap 10

Reside: San Francisco
Home Club: Aronimink GC

Came across GCA one day last fall, and have made it a daily stop on my commute on the information highway.  Thanks to all those who open up their vaults of knowledge and experience so fanatics of the game, like myself, can learn about the nuances of the courses and their architects.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #179 on: March 20, 2004, 02:03:01 PM »
Jeff Shelman (previously posted as Shel)
Handicap: 3-5 range
Home course: Mendakota CC in Mendota Heights, MN. A nice club with a pretty good course and very nice people in the membership.

I'm a sportswriter at the Minneapolis Star Tribune where I primarily cover college basketball. In the summer I cover some golf and other things.

If anyone is up in the Twin Cities, drop me a message.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #180 on: March 21, 2004, 01:16:28 PM »
RJ, Dave, Eric,
I have been in Bend since mid Feb. My partners in the TX deal bought me out and here I am. It's good for them and very good for me as I love the Bend area. Kind of nice to keep the fly rod in the car and stop on the way home and pick up a few fish. A new experience for someone who spent all their life in the desert southwest.

Lots of very good golf in this area. My course is a little cramped in spots, but a very fun 6,600 yard course that requires good course management. Definitly not a bombers course. Tricky greens and lots of slope and uneven lies as the site is rather severe.

Eric, I will see you soon as I hoping to take the family on a trip to the coast soon. I'll call well before I go in the hopes of getting you out on the course with me. My brother Ron spent a day with Ken at PD and took over a hundred photos. Definitly got me excited about making the trip soon.

Eric Johnson

« Reply #181 on: March 21, 2004, 02:49:43 PM »
Don,
Don't forget your fly rod when you come to the Coast.  Depending on the time of year, fishing can be great.

james soper

« Reply #182 on: March 21, 2004, 04:02:33 PM »
James Soper (medalist)
Hometown: Miami, Fl.
Married, three children
Home Club: Biltmore, Coral Gables, Fl.(Donald Ross)
Handicap Index:10.0 and heading south
Clubs: Irons:Mizuno Pro Forged
Driver: Taylor Made 200 Steel
Three Wood: Titleist PT
Hybrid:Mizuno Fli Hi 18
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Raw 52,56,& 60
Putter: Bettinardi bb7
Ball:Titleist Pro v1
Biggest GCA suprise: Offering a spot in a foursome at Seminole(for a charity event) and having no takers.

gookin

« Reply #183 on: March 23, 2004, 06:28:35 PM »
Dave Gookin
Pittsburgh, PA
Club: Fox Chapel Golf Club ( Seth Raynor 1926); Presently Green Chairman and I actually like it.
Handicap: 7
Golf Accomplishments: West Penn Boys Champion 1970; Club Champion FCGC 1971 & 1982. Yes my best golf is behind me.
Spoiled by having played Augusta, Cyprus, Pebble, Oakmont, Merion; sentimental favorite for you Flynn fans is the Upper Cascades.
Goal: Suck all the knowledge possible out of GCA

golf54

« Reply #184 on: March 23, 2004, 06:44:41 PM »
Eric Olsen
Attorney
Handicap: 5.6
East Coast Bandonista
Taylormade 510 Driver, 200 Steel 2 and 5 woods
Mizuno MP 30s

Cory Lewis

« Reply #185 on: March 23, 2004, 07:53:09 PM »
Cory Lewis

Occupation:  Class A PGA Professional, Assistant Professional at Beechtree Golf Club

Home club:  My home club is whatever club I am working at right now, which has been several nice places in the past, although last year I was tournament director for a PGA Section in NY and for the first time ever found myself without a home club.

Handicap: Don't really keep one because I'm a pro, but I hang around par most of the time.

Favorite Golf Moment:  Best day of my life came when my dad and I played Nairn in the morning, drove to Loch Ness and did the tourist thing, then drove back to Dornoch through the backroads of Scotland and played Royal Dornoch at 5 o'clock at night without seeing another sole on the course.  This is one of the many reasons I made golf my career.

GCA has been great because it's nice to see people who have the same enthusiasm for the game that I do.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 07:56:10 PM by Cory Lewis »
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Raphael_Larson

« Reply #186 on: March 23, 2004, 08:16:20 PM »
Raphael Larson
Home: Washington, DC (Proud native Oregonian)
Handicap:  too high to matter, not high enough to stop me.
Home Course:  wherever I can get on when deciding to sneak out of the office in the afternoon

long-time lurker found the site while researching my first trip to Bandon.  Been obsessed with Bandon/Pacific and similarly great courses ever since.

Andy Hughes

« Reply #187 on: March 23, 2004, 08:19:45 PM »
Woohoo, a Marylander and a DCer. I am starting to feel less alone!
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #188 on: March 23, 2004, 08:20:13 PM »
Cliff Hamm
Handicap: 15 or so
Clubs: Golfsmith components ( I suspect I'm the only one)
Play numerous public courses around New England

My interest in golf begain as a caddy in New Jersey at Baltusrol.  It was a wonderful learning experience and gave me an early apprectiation and love for the game and it's traditions.  Getting to play the Upper every Monday was wonderful as on other days it was off  to the local muni.  

Two experiences, both on the same day, while caddying at Baltusrol have always stuck with me.  One was caddying for Bob Creasy, head of the PGA of America,  in 1967 the weekend before the Open.  As we were on the 10th tee Jack Nicklaus and Dean Beman asked to join up.  As a 16 year old what a thrill to be a caddy in a group with Nicklaus and Beman for a couple of holes.  BTW I remember talking with Nicklauus' caddy (before pros could bring their own) after the open and his mentioning how Jack never hit the ball past the pin to keep his putts up hill.  Don't really know if that's true or not but interesting.

After caddying went out to watch some of the pros practice which was great as the public wasn't allowed on the course.  On the 8th hole Ben Hogan's (this was his last open) caddy asked me to get Mr. Hogan a soda.  Ran over to the half way house and handed Mr. Hogan his soda.  Never a thank you or an offer to pay for it.  Oh well it makes a good story from years ago and is  none the less a fond memory in its own way.

Before coming across this board never realized how many folks were interested in golf architecture and am truly impressed with your knowledge.

Cliff

« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 08:41:33 PM by Cliff Hamm »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #189 on: March 25, 2004, 10:50:52 PM »
Annapolis, Maryland
I am 57 years old
I have had both ACL's replaced due to Skiing accidents
I am a Lutheran clergyman
I belong to CC at Woodmore (MD)
                Four Streams GC (MD)
                Musgrove Mill GC (SC)
                Bryce Resort (VA)
                Royal North Devon  (westward Ho!)
I play to a 6 handicap(sometimes)
I have written two books(on religion)
I will lecture at Lincoln College at Oxford University this summer.
I am married and have two children one teaches at Carleton College in Minnesota and the other is a lawyer working with the homeless in Mpls, MN.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 10:13:22 AM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jack_Marr

« Reply #190 on: March 26, 2004, 10:00:53 AM »
Annapolis, Maryland
I am 57 years old
I have had both ACL's replaced due to Skiing accidents
I am a Lutheran clergyman
I belong to CC at Woodmore (MD)
                Four Streams GC (MD)
                Musgrove Mill GC (SC)
                Bryce Resort (VA)
                The European Club (Ireland)
I am a panelist  for GOLF DIGEST
I play to a four handicap(sometimes)
I have written two books(on religion)
I will lecture at Lincoln College at Oxford University this summer.
I am married and have two children one teaches at Carleton College in Minnesota and the other is a lawyer working with the homeless in Mpls, MN.

Snap (forgive the pun). I have had both ACLs replaced due to football accidents, or soccer as you call it. I am a member of Stackstown Golf Club and Carne Golf Club.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 10:02:50 AM by Jack_Marr »
John Marr(inan)

Danno

« Reply #191 on: March 27, 2004, 01:38:50 AM »
Dan Eulitt   43  in Kansas City. Self Employed. I travel to Canada to play many times a year and they have some great courses.  I play at Shadow Glen CC in Olathe KC. Weiskopt and Morrish with Watson touches.  I also rate for Golfweek. I have a passion for sports car racing and of courses that you can run the ball up on. Get to see many new tracks each year and reading comments on this service is interesting to say the least.. 3.1 handicap

Big Pete

« Reply #192 on: March 27, 2004, 05:18:59 AM »
Peter Wood
Age 49
Resident of Melbourne , Australia
Occupation - Accountant , Financial planner & Company Director
Member - The National Golf Club
            - The Heritage Golf & Country Club
            - The Links @ Port Douglas
            - Rosanna Golf Club
Handicap - out to 6
Doak fan
Regularly travel the world playing the great courses
Organise golf trips
Part owner and Chairman of Barnbougle Dunes
« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 05:23:51 AM by Peter Wood »

s. mann

« Reply #193 on: March 27, 2004, 08:58:18 PM »
steve mann
family: wife, son-4, daughter-3, 1 dog
residence: boston, ma

previous work experience:
olde kinderhook g.c., NY-head pro
pine valley g.c., NJ- Asst.
wannamoisett cc, RI- Asst.
troy cc, NY- Asst.

clubs- everything titleist!!

CBFriars

« Reply #194 on: March 28, 2004, 12:24:26 AM »
Chris Barnicoat

Asst. Superintendent-Friar's Head,NY.

Other clubs:
Asst. Superintendent-Garden City Golf Club,NY.
The Country Club,MA.

Been reading threads for a long time and never post.  Enjoy checking out this site from time to time.

hoggmeister

« Reply #195 on: March 28, 2004, 08:30:55 PM »
Peter Hoggan
Age-57
Lawrenceville, NJ
Occupation--Architect (buildings that is )
Married 25 years to a wonderful woman who let me drag my clubs along on our anniversary trip to Hawaii.
Handicap--12 and going up fast.
Home course--any public track that will take my money.

I played some and caddied a lot as a kid, but gave up the game for other sports because my dad- a scratch/+1 and twelve time club champion, made it look too easy. Took up the game 8 years ago when my son, then 12, wanted to learn. He got good and I got hopelessly addicted.

My son has cleverly decided to take a semester abroad at St. Andrews University. I am presently saving my pennies so we can visit him, and my wife can have tea at Greywalls while I  play Muirfield. At least that is the plan.

I lurk often and post seldom. I find the site very entertaining--particularly those treads that remind me of architectural discussions.

DTaylor18

« Reply #196 on: March 30, 2004, 08:48:35 AM »
Dan Taylor
Hometown: Baltimore, MD
Clubs: Mountain Lake & The Orchards

I learned to love the game later than most as I grew up in NYC, away from golf courses.  Ironically, my high school was across the street from the Dyker Beach golf course in Brooklyn, but I never played it once.  I have the most understanding wife who lets us take vacations in golf destinations and allowed me to get many rounds in on our honeymoon.

I have traveled with and met many GCA'ers, and made some good friends in the process.  I would be happy to get together with anyone if they're in the area.  Please let me know.

david h. carroll

« Reply #197 on: May 05, 2004, 04:24:29 PM »
thought it might make sense to pull this thread back up

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #198 on: May 05, 2004, 09:30:54 PM »
I guess maybe I should finally get around to posting on this thread since I have looked at it so many times and learned who our fellow members are.  I have just never taken the time to do it.

Daryl K. Boe
37Yrs.
Greenville, SC

Member at Musgrove Mill GC near Clinton, SC.  An Arnold Palmer (Ken Tomlinson) design that I have posted on a few times on here.  Have enjoyed hosting several GCA travelers as they pass through.

Although I usually play less than 20% of my rounds at home as I travel quite a bit and enjoy playing different courses.

Hcp 8.3 (supposedly but as the new baby has changed my playing habits dramatically so has my meager god given ability at this game been exposed more)

On a quest to play every golf course in the US, but they keep building them faster than I can play them.  Should pass the 1000 course level this year.  Although I am concerned that my seven year streak of playing over 100 different courses my come to an end this year.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Ash Towe

« Reply #199 on: May 05, 2004, 10:55:34 PM »
Ash Towe
Age-56
Resident of Auckland, New Zealand
Born and raised in Leeds, England
Occupation-Teacher
Club-North Shore
Handicap-3.5
I play mostly on my home track but have played on many courses in NZ.  Made 2 trips to England and Scotland for family and golf reasons.  In recent years made 3 visits to the US where I have been the recipient of fantastic hospitality from other members of this forum.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 03:05:12 PM by Ash Towe »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back