News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Gracely

Re:Who are you guys......really???
« Reply #150 on: March 17, 2004, 04:58:42 PM »

piece on Friar's Head coming up in June issue of LINKS mag.

You need to post under your real name or Ran might kick you off the island  ;)  (it can be changed under "Profile").

Looking forward to the Friar's Head article!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 05:54:17 PM by Brian_Gracely »

Gene Greco

« Reply #151 on: March 17, 2004, 05:47:47 PM »
Michael;

Welcome!

Always loved your articles in years past.

Purchased "Second Shots" based on your recommendation from among a list you posted on this website a couple of years back.

Must have crossed paths with you in the American Hotel at some point over the past 16 years!

Gene Greco

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Michael_Choate

« Reply #152 on: March 17, 2004, 06:34:28 PM »
Michael Choate

Residence: Glenview, Illinois
Home Course: Pine Meadow- Libertyville, Il
Handicap: 6

I became aware of the site one day when I was home sick and decided to "surf the web" to kill time.  I developed my interest in architecture when a friend gave me the original Cornish and Whitten book "The Golf Course" in answer to my question "why is that bunker there?"

THuckaby2

« Reply #153 on: March 17, 2004, 08:16:27 PM »
I'm at home, Dave - killing time till some Irish for the day friends come over.  The corned beef is boiling and I am on my second pint... It should be a crime having St. Patrick's day mid-week.

;)

ed_getka

« Reply #154 on: March 17, 2004, 10:57:58 PM »
Ed Getka
RN Neonatal ICU (perfect golfing/raising family job, I work 3 days a week!)
42 years old, married for 21 years (well ahead of the national average)
2 boys 5 & 9
Handicap is around 12 or so, but I have an amazing ability to top tee shots on the 1st hole at GCA gatherings.
My goal this year is to play more rounds than years I've been alive.
Making my first trip to Scotland in May to play Dornoch, Cruden Bay, TOC, Prestwick, North Berwick. Oh yeah, and also the GCA Ryder Cup at Painswick with the gang. Its going to be a great year.
I look forward to meeting more of you guys and gals.

Dave,
   I'm busy learning to paint right now, but the erhu solo should be ready to be unveiled by KPIV. I'll be painting golf landscapes in my retirement years when I can no longer play.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #155 on: March 17, 2004, 11:01:46 PM »
Some events open with the bagpipe.  I cannot wait to see both teams at KPIII standing at attention as Ed jams on the ehru.  Rock on with your bad self!

Warning, just be advised if you ever room with Ed, he will undoubtedly keep you up all night with the most obscure golf course trivia and pursuit of his latest collectible.  Just ask Shivas about Seve's shirt!

He is a Great American!

Mike

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Joe Hancock

« Reply #156 on: March 17, 2004, 11:08:28 PM »
Mike,

True, unless Ed decides it's time to go to bed...err...tub...errr...car.

Ed, are you learning to paint by remodeling your place? Doing murals of golf courses on interior walls sounds like a cool idea!

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Stan Dodd

« Reply #157 on: March 18, 2004, 12:14:12 AM »
Stan Dodd aka whitey now it is more like baldy or grey
High School Principal
The older I get the better I was.
Play off 9. Going on my fourth trip to Scotland this summer with my son for his college graduation... Dornoch, Cruden Bay, Lossienouth, Prestwick are the only rounds scheduled at this time.
Daily lurker some time poster.
Cheers

ian

« Reply #158 on: March 18, 2004, 09:13:21 AM »
Ed said "I look forward to meeting more of you guys and gals ;).

Your wife's OK with this Ed?  ;D

ed_getka

« Reply #159 on: March 18, 2004, 02:38:54 PM »
Ian,
  Since one lady did post I thought it appropriate to include her in the mix. We could use a little diversity on this whitebread site. :)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #160 on: March 18, 2004, 04:38:13 PM »
Gilbert "Gib" Papazian II
aka "Gyrogolf" and "Arthur Gumby."
Occupation: Commercial Agriculture - Golf Writer San Mateo Times. Occasional magazine articles when I have the time.
Course Panelist who agonizes over every rating.
C.B. Macdonald/Seth Raynorphile  
Residence: Burlingame/Hillsborough, CA
Olympic Club member since 1974
44 Years Old
Divorced  :'(
Twin 6-year olds, Nicky & Katie  ;D

Claims to fame:

#1. Successfully rode on George Bahto's coat tails as editor of The Evangelist of Golf.

#2. *guesst*  

Ping Driver, two degrees flat, 10 degrees loft. Pro Force 65.
Mercury 16 degree 3-wood, K-2 Pro shaft
Orlimar Tri-metal, 19 degree, EI-70 shaft
Ping Eye2 irons (1982 model) No square grooves.
Cleveland 49 degree PW
Cantwell (local clubmaker) SW 55 degrees (32 years)
Orlimar Gyro Putter (32 years)

THuckaby2

« Reply #161 on: March 18, 2004, 04:42:53 PM »
I was wondering if and when we'd hear from you on this, Mr. Gumby.  Great stuff.

I am most intrigued though by your bottom quote - did you make that up?  Man that does sum up a lot here.... see my additions below.

"Golfers can be roughly divided between those who view the game as an antiseptic examination [THEY LIKE SHINNECOCK HILLS] or a whimsical adventure [THEY LIKE NGLA]. Upon which side of the fence they fall tells much about how they view the game of golf - and ultimately the game of life.

Put me down for NGLA and whimsy, obviously.

;D

TH

ps - guesst is your best claim to fame, with all proper deference to your editing and writing.   ;)

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #162 on: March 18, 2004, 07:03:57 PM »
GyroGolf,
You forgot to add the title of Wildman and proverbial wearer of the lampshade.

ed_getka

« Reply #163 on: March 18, 2004, 08:30:01 PM »
Gib,
  You forgot Chief Gesticulator. You have illustrated more than one hole or concept in the air with your hands. :)

Steve Lapper

« Reply #164 on: March 18, 2004, 08:45:15 PM »
Steve Lapper
aka slapper
Age 46
Far Hills, NJ
Club: Hamilton Farm & Roaring Fork, Basalt Co.
Hcp: 5.5, 11 knee surgeries (none by redanman) and      
        early Alzheimers.
Married to my best friend (she did let me play the Sandbelt on our honeymoon!)

My proudest achievement: Little Sydney Blair, 13mos old. and Whitney Paige, now 5yrs old

Loved and learned golf at an early age, rebelled against it and went on to play lacrosse and skied professionally: thus the knees. Now, and forever, back to loving the game for eternity.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 09:09:04 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #165 on: March 18, 2004, 09:19:20 PM »
Bradley Anderson

Golf Course Superintendent

Midlane Country Club
Wadsworth, IL

Avid golfer

I am eager to learn more about the game, and the history of golf course architecture. The views and opinions expressed on this site have been very enlightening and they have profoundly effected my work as a golf course superintendent.

Whenever I play a golf course that was built by one of the masters I always wonder why we don't build them all this way.

Gyrogolf

« Reply #166 on: March 18, 2004, 09:22:29 PM »
Huckster,

Yes, I "made it up." . . . . . . It is sort of an inarguable truth, eh?

Ed,

*Gesticulations* with a lampshade adorning my inflated skull usually (only) happen after a speed run with Naccarato or a long evening in a Southampton hangout with Neal Meagher.

The rest of the time, I am a perfect gentleman . . . . . except when I am not. . . . . . five hours in the tavern at Half Moon Bay with Goodale comes to mind.  

P.S. I forgot the 60 degree Cleveland SW. However, it badly misbehaved the other day in Scottsdale and may soon be relegated to the dreaded "naughty bag" in the broom closet.  
« Last Edit: March 18, 2004, 09:23:58 PM by Gyrogolf »

Neal_Meagher

« Reply #167 on: March 18, 2004, 09:23:11 PM »
Neal Meagher

Residence: Pleasanton, California by way of Mississippi and Tennessee

Occupation:  Golf course architect - formerly with Robert Muir Graves firm - Maderas GC, Sea Ranch GL, Sonoma GC, Sterling Hills GC, Seven Oaks CC, Richmond (B.C.) CC, Richmond (CA),CC, The Institute

Married:  For 10 years to the most perfect wife I could ever imagine having.

Home club:  None in particular.  I don't cheat on my wife but I do like to play around on more than one course.

Clubs:  Driver - TaylorMade R580
3 and 5 woods - TaylorMade Burner supersteel
3-pw - King Cobra
58 degree Nike forged wedge
Sand wedge - Wilson staff JP IV copper
putter - Odyssey Dual Force 550

Finding this site and meeting so many of its contributors has meant much to me. It has allowed me to get inside the heads of those for whom I design, but also to get to know some really fine individuals.  For this, I believe that the game itself brings such good people together.

Furthermore, it is invaluable as a forum to allow us to discuss our feelings of what constitutes golf design.

I have been fortunate to collaborate with several very talented people who contribute here on theoretical excercises, potential real projects and on actual in-the-dirt projects. And from the Armenian scribe's pen, I definitely agree with my friend Mr. Huckaby's view of the game as being a whimsical adventure.  Though at times it can be mystical as well.  
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 02:05:14 AM by Neal_Meagher »
The purpose of art is to delight us; certain men and women (no smarter than you or I) whose art can delight us have been given dispensation from going out and fetching water and carrying wood. It's no more elaborate than that. - David Mamet

www.nealmeaghergolf.com

Gyrogolf

« Reply #168 on: March 18, 2004, 09:28:04 PM »
Huckster,

You might also compare Troon and Prestwick . . . . . or Lahinch and Ballybunnion . . . . . Stevinson Ranch or . . . . . anything in the Calif. Central Valley.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2004, 09:28:18 PM by Gyrogolf »

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #169 on: March 18, 2004, 10:01:30 PM »
Don Mahaffey

River's Edge Golf Course
Bend, OR
Robert Muir Graves-1988

Handicap 2.5

Former golf course owner in TX and have worked at courses in AZ and CA. I love central Oregon and am making plans for my first trip to Bandon. ;D

Great Wife, Dee, from Traverse City, MI and I've been lucky enough to play some of the great courses in that area.

This site has greatly influenced my greenskeeping style.

If your ever in Central Oregon, please stop by and see me.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 03:44:18 PM by Don_Mahaffey »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #170 on: March 18, 2004, 10:16:06 PM »
So Don, this is a news flash for most of us.  You relocated to Oregon?  Good Luck and I hope your new position is a rewarding one.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Eric Johnson

« Reply #171 on: March 19, 2004, 07:45:27 AM »
Don Mahaffey

River's Edge Golf Course
Bend, OR
Robert Muir Graves-1988

Former golf course owner in TX and have worked at courses in AZ and CA. I love central Oregon and am making plans for my first trip to Bandon. ;D

Great Wife, Dee, from Traverse City, MI and I've been lucky enough to play some of the great courses in that area.

This site has greatly influenced my greenskeeping style.

If your ever in Central Oregon, please stop by and see me.

Don, when did you relocate to Bend?  When you make the drive to Bandon get in touch.

JohnV

« Reply #172 on: March 19, 2004, 08:59:07 AM »
John Vander Borght (JohnV)

Director of Membership Development and Services for the Western Pennsylvania Golf Association
Member of the USGA Mid-Amateur Committee
Former Software Engineer/Consultant (back when money was more important than enjoying my job)

Handicap: 8.3 and rising

Reisdence: Oakmont, PA
Home Club: Hannastown Golf Club (9 holes 1920 Emil Loeffler,9 holes 1997 Ault & Clark)
Golfweek Rater

Divorced, no children.

Formerly lived in Portland Oregon for 25 years where I was a member of Pumpkin Ridge.  Grew up in San Jose, CA.

Born in England (Still a British citizen), 51 years old

Clubs:
Nike Steel headed Driver and 3-wood
Tommy Armour 845 5-wood
Titleist 962 irons 3-W
Vokey 58degree SW
Ping Anser 3 putter

THuckaby2

« Reply #173 on: March 19, 2004, 09:14:01 AM »
This thread has been an hell of a learning experience.  So Mr. VanderBorght, my source and guru for all things re course rating, handicapping, and rules of the game, is a British citizen?  I surely did not know that... and I won't hold it against you, John.   ;)

Gib/back to Gyro - hell yes that is an inarguable truth in your bottom quote...you tend to give me a lot of those... and good call re those other course comparisons.

Neal:  to paraphrase a great line from Jerry McGuire:  you had me at "Sea Ranch."  Man I love that place....

TH

John Nixon

« Reply #174 on: March 19, 2004, 10:12:40 AM »
John Nixon,
formerly known as "Nixer"
Carmel, IN - just down the road from Crooked Stick, still waiting for someone to invite me for a round   ;)

Environmental attorney, married, 3 kids
Hndcp is 17ish, unofficial
Can't contribute much for the likes of "Pete Dye's Top 10", but willing to opine on his early Indy-area munis, as I hang out there often.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back