News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Emmons

Re:Who are you guys......really???
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2004, 07:46:17 AM »
Robert Emmons
Huntington New York

Member...
Huntington Counrty Club [ President,past green chairman]
TPC at Sawgrass
Ibis Country Club
PGA National
Floridian golf club
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 11:29:09 AM by Robert Emmons »

David Ownby

« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2004, 08:25:58 AM »
David Ownby
Age 34
Knoxville, TN

Senior Vice President of Finance, Regal Entertainment Group (operates movie theaters under the Regal Cinemas, United Artists and Edwards brand names)

Member at Holston Hills Country Club (Ross 1927). Handicap 13.

Infrequent poster but avid follower of the site. Never paid much attention to golf course architecture until I played two wonderful but totally different courses in one week about ten years ago while living in Chattanooga. Brainerd Golf Course (a Ross muni that you could walk for six dollars) and the Honors Course (fortunately my boss was a member). Have been hooked ever since.

BigEdSC

« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2004, 08:37:02 AM »
Ed Galbavy, aka BigEdSC
Charleston, SC

45 (God, it hurt to type that!)
Cost Engineer for the US Navy
1-2 handicap
Member, Summer Golf Association, Yeaman's Hall Club

Grew up behind the 13th green at Warrenbrook Golf Club in Warren, NJ.  Remember when the architects and surveyors were staking out the golf course when I was in 1st grade.  Grew up selling golf balls to golfers and then graduated to caddying when I was old enough to work.  Snuck out on the course at twilight after the members went home to learn how to play.  Played in HS and pretty much quit when I was in college.  Moved to Charleston after college and have been playing since.

Have always been interested in golf and its architecture.  While typing this, been asking myself why I never got into this aspect of the business.  A friend of mine told me of this site when you did the review of Yeaman's Hall.  Own a copy of Tom Doak's book, the Confidential Guide, and I appreciate its information.  I enjoy the information and banter on this site and hope it continues.

Have taken trips to Ireland and Scotland and fully believe if you play, you must take at least one trip over there in your lifetime.  You will not regret it.

mj3putt

« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2004, 08:47:14 AM »
Matt Jones
Potomac Falls, VA
Online Product Manager
Handicap 13
Club Affiliation - another America's guest

LONG time lurker - infrequent poster which I'll endeavor to improve on.  (I just got around to registering yesterday under mj3putt...so Ran was calling me out  ;)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 09:00:55 AM by Matt Jones »

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2004, 09:14:28 AM »
Mike Vegis
Golf Publicist, Kiawah Island Golf Resort

Great to see so many posters from the Great Lakes State!  Go Green!!!  46 years old, married with a son born in 1/1999 and daughter born in 9/2000 (I'm done!).  I've been playing the game since I was 4, working at our country club in Battle Creek, Michigan (Riverside CC), while in high school.  Currenty carry a 8 handicap index.  Still waiting to take Ran on in match play at The Ocean Course.  Tried a couple of weeks ago but we got rained out... :P :'(

After craming a 4-year engineering degree into 6 years at Michigan State University, I decided engineering wasn't for me.  Went to Washington and got a job on Capitol Hill.  Spent 5 years as Legislative Assistant to Congressman Mike Oxley (R-OH) the 5 years as Legislative Director to former Congressman Don Ritter (R-PA).  Worked mostly on Energy and Commerce Committee affairs (specifically on the Subcommittee on Telecommunications and Finance).  Also was campaign strategist to two of Ritter's reelection campaigns.

Ten years is a long time on Capitol Hill and I had no desire to run for office (although the NRCC wanted me to do so in Michigan against former congressman Howard Wolpe (D-MI)).  I wanted to have some fun and get paid for it so I headed to Miami and got a job as Director of Marketing and PR for Windjammer Barefoot Cruises.  For the next 8 years I sailed the Caribbean on Tall Ships while schmoozing with the press.  Met my wife "fishing off the company dock" as she was a Windjammer passenger.  Met her on St. Lucia, got to know her on St. Kitts and St. Barts.  During my time with Windjammer, I took my 2 week vacations in Monterey working on the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am (the former tournament director, Lou Russo, is a family friend).  I worked contestant registration, hospitality, photography, even bag transportation -- you name it, I did it...  

Windjammer was fun but didn't pay very well.  My wife (before we were married) worked in Charleston and loved it.  I used to vacation on Kiawah back in the early 80s and loved it.  We wanted to move to the Lowcountry to raise our family.  So, I begged my way into the best job in the world at the most well run, well thought out resort in America.  

Hope to see y'all down here on Kiawah Island soon.  We've opening a $125 million, 255-room ultra-luxury oceanfront hotel and spa called The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island on June 15th so we have the place for y'all to stay.  We're looking to win a Mobil 5-star rating within two years of its opening.  Not an idle boast.  We also own the Hermitage Hotel in Nashville which just got a AAA 5-star (a precurser to getting the Mobil 50-star) and The Jefferson Hotel in Richmond which has both a Mobil 5-star and a AAA 5-diamond, one of only 23 hotels in North America with that distinction...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 05:04:27 PM by Mike Vegis @ Kiawah »

FREEMAHC

« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2004, 09:15:39 AM »
Name: Hunter Freeman
Residence: Raleigh, NC
Occupation: Civil Engineer - land development and hydrology, now working for a firm that does a small bit of golf course design work, but has done the residential and strret design on a number of golf course developments in the area.

No current club memberships, but consider Yale and Kiawah (River and Cassique) as close to home courses as I get. In NC, I play everywhere, or more specifically, which ever course is hosting a decent tournament that weekend.

Handicap - somewhere around 2

Architecture is merely a hobby that I pretend to know something about. Attedned the Rich Mandell semester long course at NC State a couple years ago, and also the Cornish/Graves Harvard course. Both were loads of fun.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 09:17:01 AM by Hunter Freeman »

Paul Perrella

« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2004, 09:16:42 AM »
To Paul Cowley,

Might you be the designer of Orchard Creek outside of Albany NY.

mike_malone

« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2004, 09:27:14 AM »
 Mike Malone
  54 age-13 hdcp.
Wallingford,Pa.(outside of Philadelphia)
 Manage investment money(very contrary)
 Member Rolling Green(Flynn 1926)
 Got interested in architecture the first time i played the course and wondered why there were trees so close to the line of play.Then as part of the master plan discussion they put out in the grill room some of the 1926 photos-i was hooked.There was the evidence of what was intended and it was great!!!Why wouldn't we want it that way?
    Got the nickname of "mayday" from a friend i play with often.That was Sam Malone's nickname when he played for the Red Sox.
 I want to thank Ran for this site.I know much more than i did two years ago-and know i have alot more to learn in the next two years.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 09:39:41 AM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

David Wigler

« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2004, 09:33:47 AM »
David Wigler
5 Handicap
Manage the Midwest for a software firm
Married for ten years with a beautiful wife and two great kids who are both starting to love golf
Member - Plum Hollow (Host of the '43 Ryder Cup, '47 PGA Championship - Won by Jim Ferrier, '57 Western Open, and numerous state events and qualifiers)
             University of Michigan alumnus association - Winner of everything that matters!!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 09:34:18 AM by David Wigler »
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

John_Lovito

« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2004, 09:42:16 AM »
John Lovito
Handicap: 13
Married with three boys (8,6,3) so my foursome is set for many years to come.
Home Club: Plainfield CC

THuckaby2

« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2004, 09:46:56 AM »
Tom Huckaby
San Jose, CA
run of the mill raconteur, striving to be delightful
Married with two kids, also striving to be raconteurs
Member:  nowhere.  Have clubs, will travel.   When she who must be obeyed allows such.
Handicap:  currently 4.1, has ranged from 2-7 for about 25 years.
charter member (assuming the founder will have me) of FOB.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 10:21:25 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Gene Greco

« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2004, 09:53:16 AM »
Gene Greco

Southampton, NY

Southampton Golf Club
   Seth Raynor 1925

Island Dunes CC (Florida)
   Joe Lee 1988

Hncp 9
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

JSlonis

« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2004, 09:59:17 AM »
Jamie Slonis
Age 35
Sewell, NJ

Member- Tavistock CC, Alex Findlay-1921(Haddonfield, NJ) Upcoming restoration under the direction of Ron Forse & Jim Nagle.

USGA HDCP- +1.7

Insurance/ Financial Advisor

Married, no kids yet(helps the HDCP)

The Doyen of Doyens- TEPaul introduced me to this wonderful site a few years ago and I've been hooked since.  I've been interested in Golf Course Architecture since I was in Grade School.  I still have my rudimentary course designs that I used to doodle in my notebook when I should have probably been paying attention to my teacher.

Equipment:
Taylor Made R7 Tour- 9.5 deg., Fujikura 660TR,X
Sonartec NP-99, 13 deg. 3 wood, Aldila NV85, X
Tourstage Z101 Irons, 3-PW, Dyn Gold S300
Mizuno Fli Hi, 18 deg, 2 iron
Cleveland CG10, 53 & 58 deg.
Bpbby Grace V-Foil M14K- 49"
Pro V1X

PS.  I am NOT a Rater...not that there's anything wrong with that.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 01:43:11 PM by JSlonis »

THuckaby2

« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2004, 09:59:56 AM »
John:

Anyone who's paid attention here knows what panel I belong to.  I just noticed many others who left out that info, then noticed that Eric didn't ask for it and it is his thread, so I decided to leave it out myself.

But of course it's easy to DIGEST what I do.  As for these others, my guess is every WEEK they are told they shouldn't publicized their affiliation.

BTW, I should add that I am a member of the only "rating" system that really matters:  I am also a course rating committeeman for the Northern California Golf Association.

TH

THuckaby2

« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2004, 10:08:29 AM »
                       I am not a rater.

However, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

;D ;D ;D ;D
Love it!

And Jim Lewis - good for you man, tell it like it is.  The world needs more crusty gents like you.  If you ever get out to CA, let me know - we need a game.

For the record, I have met a lot of GW raters and they are all great guys, every last one.  Thus I love to give them crap in here!   ;)

TH

THuckaby2

« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2004, 10:14:33 AM »
Hey, this Schmidt guy has a pretty wise way of looking at these things... plus he's damn funny.  Reminds me a lot of my bud shivas.

;D

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2004, 10:16:29 AM »
If Jim Lewis learns to play guitar like he rates courses, he's the next Danny Gatton!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2004, 10:18:24 AM »
Mike Hendren
Brentwood (Nashville), TN
Age 46
Index:  6.1 (Send the private plane for me and bet large!)
Club:  Legends Club of Tennessee (Cupp/Kite)
Former Club Champion (1974, 1976) Rolling Hills Country Club, Ripley, Tennessee
Charter Member:  FOB
Huckaby Wannabe
Still believe Ross got jobbed in the Dead Architect Survivor Series.
Favorite Course:  Foulpointe
Am ridiculously excited about KPIII.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 10:20:02 AM by Mike_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

RJ_Daley

« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2004, 10:19:32 AM »
Jim, if you learn to play guitar, you'll have even more in common with Tommy Naccarato! ;D ;) 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

THuckaby2

« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2004, 10:20:17 AM »
"Huckaby wannabe"... oh man, that is a sad and undistinguished title.   ;D

But Mike's post reminds me... I need to go back and modify mine....

TH

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2004, 10:20:46 AM »
Steve Shaffer aka/formerly known as acer2x
Ambler, PA(suburban Philadelphia)
Handicap Index:13.4
Club: Social member at Talamore at Oak Terrace, formerly member at Commonwealth National where I served on Greens Committee and Board of Governors,currently contemplating a new club affiliation.
I returned to golf after a long hiatus in 1988. I grew up in Philadelphia playing the munis-Cobbs Creek, Juniata and Walnut Lane- and banging balls over the fence at Burholme Park driving range.Shell's WWG was an eye opener for me. I watched it religiously.I used to sketch golf holes in some of the more interesting high school classes. I learned how to play better golf from my room mate at Penn State. He was a scratch golfer from Bethpage, NY. In law school, I played mostly at Walnut Lane. An injury caused my long hiatus. Since I returned to golf, I have immersed myself into the game and courses. I try to visit AZ and FL every winter and try out the new courses there. I thought I knew a fair amount until I came here. This site has been and continues to be a great learning experience for me. I now have read Tom Doak's Confidential Guide and will soon read Discovering Donald Ross, The Life and Work of Dr. Alister MacKenzie, The Evangelist of Golf and The Golden Age of Golf Design. I am a charter member of The Shivas Irons Society.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2004, 10:26:44 AM »
Wow, Danny Gatton, the Master of the Telecaster!  That cat could play.  Lets hope Jim only learns to play like him though.

Vital stats:

Name: Craig Edgmand
   Occupation/Hobbies:   Computer geek, College Student, Golf Bum
   Live: Stillwater, Oklahoma
   Golf Course: Muni-golfer at Lakeside Memorial (Labron Harris, Tripp Davis)
   Handicap: Handicap? I don't need no stinking handicap, I don't even keep score!

2010 Updates

Occupation: Lead Security Engineer at Oklahoma State University
    Happily married with 3 fantastic grandchildren
    Still not keeping score.

How about them Cowboys!!  

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 08:55:56 AM by Craig Edgmand »

TAyotte

« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2004, 10:33:59 AM »
Name: Tom Ayotte
Residence: Rockville, MD
Marital Status: Happily married for close to 5 years (no kids)
Club: Manor CC (soon to be “plowed under” Flynn-Toomey/Collis course)
Handicap: 3

I've been a "lurker" here for a while and have met a few of the other "regulars" on this site, but I haven't posted much. Got interested in architecture as a kid growing up on Long Island. Parents wouldn't let me major in Landscape Architecture, so I majored in Accounting instead.  Oh well, at least it pays my dues.

John_Cullum

« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2004, 10:46:39 AM »
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 04:22:53 PM by John_Cullum »
Raynor was a hack

MarkT

« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2004, 10:51:57 AM »
Mark Tilker (aka Texas Three Putt)
Home: Beaumont, TX (formerly of Santa Clara, CA)
44 years old, married with 2 kids (boy 7, girl 10, my golfing buddies)
President of software company (aka computer programmer)
Graduate of Texas Tech University
No home course
Last official handicap (10 years ago, as in before kids): 3
Claim to fame: My name is engraved on a trophy at Huckaby's beloved Santa Teresa.

My college notebooks are filled with golf hole designs (made studying for test tough sometimes). Always been interested in golf architecture but never really understood the concepts and thoughts until I started reading this site. Enjoy reading everyone's opinions and thoughts. Only get to play maybe 10 times a year, and that's usually with the kids. Spend most my free time coaching baseball, softball, and basketball.

Basically, I'm a boring middle aged man who now lives vicariously through everyone on this site :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 10:53:08 AM by Mark Tilker »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back