News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

NAF

Egan's Imitation Dunes and Pebble Beach
« on: October 17, 2001, 06:54:00 AM »
I was thumbing through my Pebble Beach Golf Links book the other day and saw a great picture of the 7th holes surrounded by faux dunes instead of bunkers..Egan built dunes into other holes to give them that Cypress Point look...

Does anyone think this was a better look for Pebble or was it a gimmick?

brad_miller

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2001, 06:59:00 AM »
Have not seen to many pictures, but if 7 looked anything like Mike Miller's painting of it, that was a great look. Don't know how thought it would have integrated with most of PB's other wholes.

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2001, 07:25:00 AM »
It was a tricky task but given how well he did it, Egan's work was miles and miles a better look - he keep it low profile which is why it appears so natural. Unlike many modern architects, he never once built up some massive sand dunes and asked for a bagpipe player to start banging away   Egan's work lends Pebble the artistry that it presently lacks.

Noel, which opened first in 1928: Cypress or the Egan's re-do of Pebble? I think it was Pebble but I'm not sure.

Cheers,

T_MacWood

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2001, 08:54:00 PM »
The look of those dunes holes was spectacular, they were not a gimic because the numerous beautiful models in the neighborhood. I believe Cypress Point was completed prior to Pebble Beach, in fact they used the same construction company led by Robert Hunter. Egan and MacKenzie became partners at around this time, and I've always suspected MacKenzie was more than a casual observer, especially when reading Egans description of the construction of those dunes bunkers, he claimed he had never designed and anything like them and was little skeptical at first.

BCrosby

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2001, 09:36:00 AM »
I too think they are spectacular, but I see more than just a little MacK in them.  We'll probably never know for sure, but I've got to think Egan and MacK worked together, some way, somehow.  My understading is that MacK had wanted to get his hands on Pebble for years, but there were personality conflicts with the Pebble managment and he was shut out.

I also seem to recall that it was Egan that introduced Jones to MacK which led to MacK getting the Augusta National job.

Egan was a superb amateur golfer (won a couple NCAA's and a USAm, while a Harvard undergraduate, I think) who played a lot of competitive golf with Jones.   They were very close friends.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back