News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Richards

Lawsonia (Links)
« on: October 09, 2001, 03:58:00 PM »
Just played the Links course at Lawsonia, in Green Lake, Wisconsin.

Was wondering how many GCA'ers have played here?  What are your thoughts on it?

My initial impression was that I was playing in a "golf museum" - with today's agronomy.  The Links course is a wonderful example of William Langford's work, and seems to be pretty true to its original intentions.  

Big tabletop/platform greens which are very undulating and with dips and hollows.  The bunkering is superb - huge mounds on the faces, yet the trap bottoms were relatively flat.

All in all, me'thinks its a must-see for all of you golf architectural buffs out there.

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Evan Fleisher

Lawsonia (Links)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2001, 09:16:00 PM »
Agreed, on all counts!

Played here last summer with our own Mr. Daley and it was a blast and a teriffic course to walk and view...a definite "must play" for a trip to the Chicago area, or Midwest for that matter.

Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

John_Conley

Lawsonia (Links)
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2001, 06:50:00 AM »
Played it and loved it, but that was 15 years ago.  BTW, I believe Ripon or a surrounding town was where the Republican party was founded.

Dan Kelly

Lawsonia (Links)
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2001, 07:24:00 AM »
Agree with all of you.

Like John Conley, I played it 15 years ago (unfortunately, with a couple of not-so-good "golfers" with whom I spent much time in the rough and the woods -- and remember little of the details. Do remember thinking it a fine, fun course that I would return to someday.

Ripon: birthplace of the GOP.

Even closer, I think, is Baraboo -- home of the International Crane Foundation (whoopers and sandhillers, not the construction kind) and the Circus World Museum.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

aclayman

Lawsonia (Links)
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2001, 08:14:00 PM »
There can be few experiences that beats all day golf at Lawsonia and dinner at Norton's.  

Paul-As for the those flat bottom bunkers, did you mean the ones that are at the bottom of those thirty foot grasswall directly in front of you?, If so I for one am darn glad they are flat. The needed explosion shot would be imposs from a downhill lie.

Paul Richards

Lawsonia (Links)
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2001, 03:48:00 PM »
aclayman:

You are exactly right.  Those grass walls are awfully (frightfully?) high, and the flat bunkers make escape possible, though hardly guaranteed.

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Pete Adams

Lawsonia (Links)
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2001, 02:56:00 PM »
Paul Richards: I love Lawsonia (links), played 54 there a few weeks ago. The condition was about as good as it gets, greens running about 11 and the ground firm and fast. I don't care much for the woodlands course (if your in the area for awhile its ok for a change). I have played the links 12 times over the last 4 or 5 years and always loved it. Now that they have removed a large number of trees its even better than before! People who haven't played it recently won't believe how much better #6, #8, #9 & #17 are now. The links is a very good golf course and a must for anyone interested in "classic" golf. BTW it is a very walkable course.  

RJ_Daley

Lawsonia (Links)
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2001, 03:30:00 PM »
I'm planning on going there Wednesday the 17th!!!  Anyone in the area is welcome to join in...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jim_Nagle

Lawsonia (Links)
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2001, 08:33:00 PM »
We never get tired of visiting the place (Forse Design).  The recent tree removal has made the course even better.  I do believe more trees are to be removed.  The Owners are starting to move towards the restoration, mainly reinstating old bunkers, of the grand old course.

If you ever have a chance make a trip to the other side of the Lake where a local watering hole has a mid-fifties photo hanging on the wall.  The Golf Pro/Manager knows the name and directions.  We stopped in for lunch and a quick look.  Talk about dry!

Ran Morrissett

Lawsonia (Links)
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2001, 10:21:00 AM »
Paul, How would you compare its pros and cons of its architecture to the two Raynor courses in Chicago?

Paul Richards

Lawsonia (Links)
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2001, 06:38:00 PM »
Ran:

Lawsonia is a very good course, but not in
the same category as the two courses in
Chicago that Seth Raynor had a part in -
Shoreacres, his design, and a redesign of
CB MacDonalds' Chicago Golf Club.

Lawsonia was designed by William Langford.

RJ_Daley

Lawsonia (Links)
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2001, 07:44:00 PM »
I played Lawsonia today.  It has benefited from a couple of hard frosts and that knocks down the native to a very playable tangle of blues and fescues that has an alluring texture to it (I visit the rough often even though the fairways are very generous).  Wisconsin is in full fall glory and it couldn't have been a better golf day of 52*, brisk wind 15MPH.  I have been very laid-up with sciatica and have only been able to complete 2 full rounds in 6 weeks.  But the two full rounds were walking at Wild Horse and Lawsonia.  I consider myself a lucky man indeed to have experienced them both in two short weeks.

Jim Nagle, I will send you a pic of view into #6 without the two red maple aiming trees.  I have mixed emotions about the removal of those two particular trees.  On one hand it is a bullet that must be bitten to really be true to the links characteristic of the course, and on the other, the aiming trees were a bit of local lore and uncanny how the aiming principle worked to get you to the correct tier depending where the pin was cut.  

I have only seen 2 Seth Raynor works (Yeaman' Hall and CCof Charleston) and I am confident to favorably place Langford's similar manufactured style of FW frog eye FW bunkers and tabletop/plateau or knoll greens with steep grass walls to flatish bunkers 10-18 feet below green, in equally brilliant company.  As for ChicagoGC, I have not seen it other than pictures.  It is hard for me to imagine the greens being anymore interesting or well designed and situated than Lawsonia's.  The biggest valid criticism I have heard of Lawsonia is that it is all right turns and no legitimate doglegs left.  There are right to left shaped shots to hit to take advantage of the turbo boast gull winged aiming bunkers that channel proper shots to favorable FW positions.  But alas, no dogleg lefts...

May and October are the prime months to play Lawsonia to get firm ad fast conditions, and I highly recommend it to anyone without reservation that they would think it not in upper tier of great classic golf design.  Unfortunately, I did have to play today in the wake of greens and FW aerifying from a few days ago and no topdressing yet applied to heal wounds.  But for $33 walking, there aren't too many better deals in the country except Wild Horse in Nebraska.  

Oh, did I mention?   I think I died and went to heaven today at Lawsonia...it is that good!  

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

aclayman

Lawsonia (Links)
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2001, 09:20:00 PM »
Ayuh! Dick, you really know how to make a guy remenise. When you mentioned the colors and the maples I was ... envious  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back