News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

A hoot in Nebraska.. another kind of minimalism
« on: November 11, 2001, 07:12:00 PM »
In my humble effort to bring GCA readers the best of Nebraska prairie golf, I have left no stone or cow pie unturned.  One could say that Nebraska is the tale of two eras of golf.  The era of the pure sand hill masterpiece creations of Coore and Crenshaw and Proctor and Axeland at Sand Hills CC and Wild Horse GC, were preceded by the husker and sodbuster era of sand greens and pasture golf.  I had the pleasure to visit one of these prairie settler museum pieces located a couple of miles east of Dannebrog Nebraska, a village made famous on the Sunday Morning with Charles Osgoode CBS show, where local reported Roger Walsh often files reports about the doings in this quintessentially middle of America hamlet.

The Dannebrog CC is operated by Harland and LeeJean Kroeger.  They are a senior couple recently united in blissful matrimony, both having had their first spouses pass away within the last few years.  They do a little cattle ranching and corn cropping nearby.  They also have acquired the management and proprietorship of the Dannebrog CC.   They charge the princely sum of $2.00 US per round for individual 9-hole play, and as a better deal for locals, $15.00 for an individual yearly membership, $25 family fee.  

One responsibility that yearly members do have is to volunteer once per season to drive the tractor pulling an old gang mower across the fairways to groom them where the free roaming cattle have neglected to graze.  One has to be sharp at the wheel however, as the fairways are a minefield of recently deposited natural fertilizer.  

The nice thing is that no greens keeper is needed because the sand greens only require the barbed wire fence perimeter to keep the cattle from entering the putting surface.  One uses the tined on one side and rounded on the other side precision greenskeeping instruments to maintain the putting surfaces as one goes.

The course is laid out upon a rather unremarkable pasture of no particular contouring or relief, save for the meandering creek that bisects some fairways on interesting diagonals, or laterally guards others.  The course plays to a par 34 of some 2650 yards.  A new swilcan burnesque foot bridge traverses the creek and adds a touch of whimsy to the crossing, reminiscent of the great crossings at The Old Course when storied players cross the old stone path for the last time.  

Like all courses of merit, the Dannebrog CC has its signature hole.  That, a par 3 of 125 yards from the tips is a shot across the creek over the bridge and played into the island sand green contained within a cut out grain bin of about 80feet diameter.   The pressure and tension one feels to bring the ball from on high into the bin in a stiff Nebraska wind is palpable, perhaps only rivaled by the similar island green shot of Dye’s Ponte Vedra Sawgrass TPC.  Again a local rule is needed for the shot that lands just outside of the corrugated pen wall whereby one can have a two club length relief from the wall to have room for the deftly struck flop shot over the wall and onto the sand green within the “bullpen”.  

The only sand hazards to be found on the course are in fact the greens themselves.  The ubiquitous hazard that most confounds play is indeed the more freshly deposited fertilizers characterized as a gooey lie that creates some mental aversionary processes in the golfer’s subconscious, thus adding penalty and mental debilitation as a hazard to overcome.  The randomness of the placement of these natural hazards is indeed most democratic and it is the same course strewn with these piles of recycled prairie grass for all levels of player to negotiate.  In fact, the severity of playing out of such lies in said hazards leads to the accepted self imposed rule that one “may” take a free drop from said hazard to a place no nearer the hole within one club link of the highest dairy queen like swirl at the tip of the hazard.  Local purists however play them down and gooey which explains their unique local golf attire.  A savvy local player may sport suitable footwear that would include the impermeable moisture barrier of the more famous Footjoy and a hightop feature to keep those annoying picker burr sand burrs from stinging the ankle.  The local fashion includes a lovely ensemble of engineer bib overalls that is also most effective when worn along with eyewear protection and a red bank robber bandana used to cover nose and mouth.  These described local golf wear accoutrements are a must for the purest so inclined to play the ball down as it lies in the randomly strewn fresh hazards.

Maintenance on the Dannebrog CC is a clever system that is designed to keep annual fees down to affordable levels.  Fertilization is as described above a natural recycling of prairie grass process, applied through the oversized nozzles of the free roaming fertilization units.  These units are replaceable yearly with the reward that in good grazing years, weight is added to the units and they can be sold at equity auction for profitable gain.  New units are obtained in subsequent years and the fertility regime of the fairway grasses is resumed with the new season of newly acquired equipment and materials.  However, modern environmental laws have restricted the costly and messy practice of the bygone era where petroleum waste product was amended into the sand green material to allow for a tightly and easily smoothed putting surface.  With that practice now prohibited, the controversy rages.  Locals say that the old stimps on the oiled sand were at the peak of the good old days running as high as 3-4.  Today, sans oiling, the best one can hope for is a rather dawdling 2 foot stimp.  New technology is now being tested to amend a natural vegetable oil product to again get up to the lightening fast putting speeds of yore.

After a brisk early morning round, one can retire to the clubhouse that contains both a candy and soda machine and a fine picnic bench where one can munch their homemade and carried sandwich.  But, for the local early birds, the best way to conclude the round is to hustle into town to Tom Schroeder’s café and pizza parlor.  There, one can find a self serve coffee bar to rival the Starbucks of the city dwellers, and Tom will make you a two egg fried sandwich where the poultry delight is tucked between two thick cut slices of homemade bread and buttered and grilled to perfection, for $1.25.  However, not to be bored by the mundane repetitive cuisine of the most popular breakfast that no local passes up, Tom also comes out from behind the grill counter to strap on the 6 string western guitar and play and sing some of his own written renditions of Nebraska prairie folk songs.  One becomes truly amazed at the quality of the young restaurateur’s singing voice and so early in the day to expect for such cabaret entertainment.  To cap off a lazy forenoon, one can also get into the always-ongoing Sheepshead game being played at one of the café tables.  Tom can be expected to go home and take a nap in the afternoon in order to come back for dinner hour when he turns the breakfast club into the best darn pizza parlor on the prairie.

Never having the thirst slaked for locating new pure sand hill - prairie links venues to uncover whilst visiting the intriguing environs of Nebraska, your intrepid reporter adds this last comment to the overview of the Dannebrog golf scene.  If one studies the picture of the Dannebrog clubhouse, one will see high ground just beyond the building over to the far deep right side.  

That high ground is a seam of pure sand hill characteristic property running perhaps 10 miles SW to NE and about 3-4 miles deep.  It contains the varied rolls of sand hill hummocks and hollows now so prized by the modern designers to bring back a links like ground game and varied shot values coupled with minimalist construction ideals.   The early cornhuskers did not obviously understand these qualities of terrain and built their early courses in the flats like we see at the Dannebrog CC.  They probably thought the rugged sandy hills and ridges were good for poor grazing and nothing else.  We now know different.  That piece of property shown in the final two pictures is 10 miles north of the Grand Island airport (one of longest runways in the state where they practice touch and goes for Air force One).  The city of Grand Island is vibrant and only 1.5 hours from Lincoln and 2 from Omaha population centers.  That highground is 1.5 miles above Harland and LeeJean’s golf course.   I think it would be a very symbiotic relationship to offer guests at a pure sand hills golf course that could be developed there, an extra 9 holes to be played down the road at Harland and LeeJean’s to allow the golfer a chance to compare the thrill of sand hills golf with the game of the fading prairie settler culture.  What a good time could be had by all…

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

aclayman

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2001, 07:31:00 PM »
Way too precious, Dick! Thanx. I have a suggestion for the routing; In keeping with the neighborly nature of the prarie, and to apease them if they're mift that you opened-up next door, would be to route your course so that those of your clientel could contributre economically thru the purchase of the best "slice" on the prarie. Extra cheese please.  

jglenn

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2001, 08:44:00 AM »
"A hoot in Nebraska.. another kind of minimalism" gets my vote for the 2001 Post of the Year.  

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2001, 09:26:00 AM »
Dick,

Absolutely classic!  

As you know, I'm a big fan of natural hazards, but the one's you described might be a little too "natural" for even this purist.  And to think that we citified, sissified urban dwellers even need rakes in our sand bunkers!  

Thanks for sharing such a wonderfully winsome experience.

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2001, 10:33:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing that, RJ. As I mentioned here before, though I spent just the first month of my life in Nebraska, it made an indelible impression on me!

I bet some of you guys can't remember the last time you paid less than $30
for a round of public golf , let alone a couple bucks.

John Bernhardt

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2001, 11:59:00 AM »
Dick, that looks like great fun, but i must confess my country club background might kep me from playing more than once. lol

Gene Greco

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2001, 12:17:00 PM »
HOW GREAT WAS THAT!!!?? I can't thank you enough for sharing!!!!!
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2001, 01:25:00 PM »
I'm glad you folks had a chuckle.  Thank you to Tommy for letting me highjack his home page to post the pics.  I must set a goal of getting my own web page so I can share some of the really good pics I have of the sand hills and hopefully many of you who haven't seen it will come to realise the endless amount of pure golf links prairie terrain that is out there.  I have some good pics of the terrain I spoke of just over the ridge from this property at Dannebrog that is pure sand hill quality and I really wish some of our archie friends like Jeremy will get a chance to look the area over.

I will commit to organizing a GCA outting next spring or fall out of North Platte so that we can play at least three sand hill courses if a significant number of you are interested.  Good motels, great steak joints and golf all day...  

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2001, 01:43:00 PM »
100:1 shot that the gentleman in the clubhouse is sporting a red hat that says
something other than "Go HUSKERS!" or the like.

john f

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2001, 02:52:00 PM »
Dick,

Thanks for making my day!! I'll be smiling all week from this!!

Enjoy!!

joe zaepfel

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2001, 05:48:00 PM »
God bless America!

TCotham

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2001, 06:26:00 AM »
After that great story, do you suppose week in advance is long enough to reserve a tee time?

Dan Kelly

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2001, 10:47:00 AM »
Mr. Daley --

That, sir, is a classic -- 50 times better than ANYTHING that that insufferable pseudo-rube Roger Welsch has done from Dannebrog on "Sunday Morning."

Thank you.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

GeoffreyC

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2001, 11:38:00 AM »
Great stuff Dick

However, isn't anybody disturbed by the golf cart in the 6th picture down?

How does it get over the bridge?

Does the master plan for the course include some paved cartpaths?  That shoud raise the greens fees to at least $4  

Dan Kelly

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2001, 12:01:00 PM »
Here's something I love about Dannebrog CC:

If people don't like the course ... if they say something really insulting about it, like "Looks like something Rees Jones might have built, if there weren't any bulldozers around" ... if they even so much as look at it sideways ... it's the easiest thing in the world to show 'em the gate.

There it is! Right there in the first picture!

Hell, they'll have to open it themselves on their way out.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2001, 12:15:00 PM »
This is such a nice, homey, calm thread.  

Would you all mind if I just hide out in here for awhile to escape the "Pictures of The Bridge" thread?  

Thanks...I either need to stay here or request emergency sessions with Dr. Katz!

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2001, 12:17:00 PM »
p.s.

Please don't tell Patrick that I'm in here. Shhhhhhh!

Cory

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2001, 02:46:00 PM »
Hey, I have played this great course a few times and it is possible to one putt every green.  You just draw a line in the sand from your ball to the cup and the ball will go in every time.  Just kiddin.  Nice to see that the bakery was included in this piece because they serve the best pizza I have ever eaten in my life.  I have ate Chicago pizza, and many others, and this stuff takes the cake.  Incredible!

RJ D

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2001, 03:49:00 PM »
Is this the Cory who has a cottage on Lake Maloney?  

Cory

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2001, 05:50:00 PM »
No, this is not the Cory who has a cottage on Lake Maloney.  I'm originally from Grand Island and when I was younger my buddies and I would go up and play Dannebrog.  I didn't discover the pizza until a few years ago.  It is fantastic!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back