News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Bluejack National
« on: January 03, 2019, 08:20:44 AM »
Given that Houston has been a topic of discussion recently, what are the views on Bluejack National?  The older threads all seem to have died out or digressed.  I see that top100golfcourses.com (which I find to be a very useful site) has the course number 1 in Texas and number 88 in the US.  Valid assessment or newness/Tiger factor?

Thanks,

Ira

David Wuthrich

Re: Bluejack National
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 09:28:43 AM »
A little of both!

Paul Jones

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 04:16:30 PM »

Ira,

I played the course when it first open and thought it was a ton of fun.  They did not over bunker it and have wide fairways with exciting greens.  There is no rough and the conditioning was fantastic.  I think more courses should strive to be more fun, instead of more difficult to help grow the game.  You can almost play the whole course with a putter.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 05:03:31 PM »
Hi Paul
How would your opinions of Wolf Point differ from what you wrote about Bluejack?
Your description of Bluejack could work for Wolf Point.
David
Same question.
Look forward to seeing you both at Nine Grand this year
Cheers

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Paul Jones

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 06:04:17 PM »

Mike,

I think Bluejack and Wolf Point are both the direction the industry needs to go to grow the game, but more towards the Wolf Point side on maintenance cost.  The other aspects that they differ are more about being a Golf Club compared to a Ranch with a Golf Course.  Finally, I would give the nod to Wolf Point on greens, as those are some of the best and exciting greens I have ever seen. Similar, they both have a ton of variety in holes (short, long, left, right, etc.) and both are on a great piece of property.

I had so many wonderful memories at Wolf Point.  I miss that place but excited to see you and Don at Nine Grand this year.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 08:31:35 PM »
I agree w every writer on this post regarding WP and BJN.  They are both great but of course very different.  From a pure architectural standpoint I think WP is better, although BJN has some wonderful features as well.  Certainly agree w Paul J about the greens at WP...the word creative falls short in describing them.  BJN is one of the most family friendly (as well as golfer friendly) clubs I have seen, and that is a tough combo

Steve Lang

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 11:24:56 PM »
 8)  ... and the old curmudgeon view from southern Montgomery County...

Still amused that BJN is touted as an original TW design, he reused most of C&C's + Blaketree's existing holes & corridors, reversed play on some holes, routed some new holes, re-established the turf, etc. and cleared the treelines.

It would be interesting to see what TW would have seen and created on the original untouched property, rather than this house flipping episode

Still amazed that someone would really pay greater than $xxx,xxx initiation fee and $xxxx per month for the privilege of playing that one course and short game practice area... and for partaking of all the captive offerings..  that is serious disposable capital

Not surprising the raters like it...
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

mike_beene

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 11:50:55 PM »
Perhaps Tiger should be given credit for keeping a lot of what is there and not trying to create some clowns mouth water and snake infested amusement park.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 06:42:49 AM »
Haven't played the course, but the facilities look very impressive. If I had a family I think my kids would really look forward to visiting as it seems to have something for everyone.  Although the odd aspect of membership is that despite the "National" in its name, they don't offer a national or international membership option. As well it doesn't appear to have on site lodging so I guess that fits without national members who would desire on site lodging.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Jim Nugent

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 07:02:27 AM »
8)  ... and the old curmudgeon view from southern Montgomery County...

Still amused that BJN is touted as an original TW design, he reused most of C&C's + Blaketree's existing holes & corridors, reversed play on some holes, routed some new holes, re-established the turf, etc. and cleared the treelines.

It would be interesting to see what TW would have seen and created on the original untouched property, rather than this house flipping episode

Supposedly Mackenzie did much the same thing at CPC, putting his personal stamp on the routing Raynor came up with.  I'd love to know how true that is.  If it is true, should Raynor get co-design credit at what is usually rated the #1 or #2 rated course in the country/world?     

David Wuthrich

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 08:53:24 AM »
Mike,
I would agree with Paul and Paul.
I would much rather play WP on a daily basis, but is was always set up to be a different kind of course and you and Don did a wonderful job.
Can't wait to see Grand Nine this year.
All the best in 2019.

Paul Jones

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 08:54:43 AM »
Haven't played the course, but the facilities look very impressive. If I had a family I think my kids would really look forward to visiting as it seems to have something for everyone.  Although the odd aspect of membership is that despite the "National" in its name, they don't offer a national or international membership option. As well it doesn't appear to have on site lodging so I guess that fits without national members who would desire on site lodging.

Jeff,

When I played the course when it first opened they had plans for cottages (which I think they completed) and they do offer a National Type Membership.

Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

WilliamN

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 03:15:31 PM »

Still amazed that someone would really pay greater than $xxx,xxx initiation fee and $xxxx per month for the privilege of playing that one course and short game practice area... and for partaking of all the captive offerings..  that is serious disposable capital

Not surprising the raters like it...

I was a guest of a young-ish (early 40's) member at BJN last year.  He has a home walking distance from the first tee and also a home in downtown Houston.  His young family spends most weekends there and it is their version of a lake, mountain, shore, or hamptons, etc. 2nd home.  I was fortunate enough to meet a number of other members - it appears as if they have a really good group of people, with a similar view of BJN.  The other stuff they have for kids ("The Fort") makes it a very family friendly place. 

Separately, thought the course was incredibly fun.  I am looking forward to getting invited again this year.  On my visit, I also played Lochinvar (all male Nicklaus course in Houston).  If I had 10 rounds to split between the two, I think all 10 would be at BJN

Jeff Schley

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 03:32:44 PM »

Jeff,

When I played the course when it first opened they had plans for cottages (which I think they completed) and they do offer a National Type Membership.
Thanks Paul. I couldn't find either on their website, which actually is a very good site IMO, so if they have it I would have expected to see if there. Not financial information, but their three categories are golf, corporate, social.  Maybe shoot them an email to see what kind of deal it is.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back