News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jed Peters

Ingleside Golf Course--San Francisco, CA Area
« on: July 12, 2008, 03:30:16 PM »
Anyone know of this course? It is presumably one of the first in California, near the S.F. area.

I found it noted in this article:

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9D02E6D61239EF3ABC4A53DFBE668389639EDE&oref=slogin

Jed Peters

Re: Ingleside Golf Course--San Francisco, CA Area
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 03:32:25 PM »
Further inquiry points out that there was ANOTHER course on Lake Merced around this time--where the Park Merced Apartments now exist off the SFSU campus....

Wow, anyone know about this? It woulda been right across from Harding....

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 11:02:03 PM »
Jed -

The Ingleside course may have been the precursor to San Francisco GC. I have a vague recollection that the group that founded the golf course at the Presidio (in the 1890's), developed and moved to a course in the Ingleside district and then moved on to build San Francisco GC.

I could be mistaken on any or all of the above.

DT

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 11:15:19 PM »
That is correct. I think this was just discussed a week or two ago here in that California 1930 thread.

edit: It wasn't in that thread. Help! Where did I see that map?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 11:17:48 PM by Matt_Cohn »

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 11:24:45 PM »
FWIW, somebody told me there used to be a driving range at Forest Hill too?

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 08:16:28 PM »
Matt -

Yes, I can remember the driving range in the Forest Hill neighborhood when I first moved to SF in the fall of 1970.

The driving range was located near the corner of 7th Avenue & Clarendon Avenue. It was east of the reservoir that is right at the corner of those 2 streets.

It was plowed up for housing in the early 1970's.

DT

Jed Peters

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 10:22:36 AM »
I think it's funny how a "lost" golf course in the same neighborhood as 2 other top-25 courses isn't that big a deal to us norcal guys.

If this site was on the east coast, there'd be 5 pages about it by now, and 2 guys would have quit the site already.

For what it's worth, apparently this site was literally between SFSU and Harding......where the Dorms and the new high-rise apartments sit.

Sean_Tully

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 09:13:57 PM »
Jed,

The course that you are interested in is the 2nd course that SFGC played over. They moved to this location around 1905(still looking for specifics, I'm still searching in the 20's so i haven't got there yet. I have a couple of photos and an early routing map of the course. After SFGC moved to its current location in 1918 the course was taken over by the California Golf Club until they moved to there current site in 1926. The course would still remain open until the early to mid 1940's. I have looked over the property a number of times and it would have been a great view from the clubhouse over the golf course and the ocean on the horizon.

Hagen shot a 66 there.

It was not in the same league as the other courses that you mention, just the same zip code. Cop bunkers and RR tracks that crossed a handful of holes will do that.

Tully

John_Conley

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 01:01:40 AM »
Sean, great to see you posting!  All is well in Marin I hope. JOHN

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back