GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

What is your handicap...?

<< < (10/36) > >>

Dean Stokes:
Wasn't the idea of this thread to establish why so many golfers cannot play to the handicap they admit to being?

We are not discussing sandbaggers here. We are discussing 'inverted' sandbaggers and how the system allows them to get to this point.

Let's get back to the point. How can players call themselves 5, 10 or 15 handicappers when they cannot play within 10 or 15 shots of that in a competition scenario?

Simple. Because a system that allows you to walk to a computer screen and punch in whatever numbers you want on any given date allows it!

Until the USGA enforces 'competition' scores only counting for handicap there will always be 'inverted' sandbaggers. I just hope you don't get them as a partner :D

Matt Varney:
Well said Dean

Tony, I would love to play with you in a money game as your partner and see the look on your face when you hit a tee ball O.B. on 18 with the match on the line and you are counting on me to make par on 440 yard par 4 hole to win a match for a couple hundred.

Your thought process would change completely when I hammer a drive in the fairway and can hit the green then two putt.  I can play the game the guy that is really a 20 handicap that says he is 7 you need to go ahead and get your money out because you lost the match.

Let me know when you want to play sometime?  I will take your money

Eric Smith:

--- Quote from: Tony Petersen on June 08, 2008, 12:00:19 AM ---
--- Quote from: Ed Oden on June 07, 2008, 11:46:53 PM ---Matt Varney:

Adjusting your handicap to reflect what you think it should be because you don't like the way the USGA calculates handicaps is like adjusting your income taxes to reflect what you think you should pay because you don't like the way the government calculates your taxable income.  I doubt that your playing partners would be any more thrilled with your adjustment than the IRS.  While you may not agree with the USGA handicap system, until it changes, those of us that live in the US have to honor it.

Ed   

--- End quote ---

Well said, Ed. In the end, you're cheating. Case closed.

--- End quote ---

Matt didn't 'adjust' his handicap yesterday.  He doesn't have a handicap.  He told us all he played to a 10 on the first tee.  I can't speak for anyone else, but in my experience, when I hear 10, my brain tells me the person shoots around 82.

Now I do have a usga hcp and right now my index is 9.1, equating to a 10 from the blue tees at The Olde Farm yesterday.

Matt shot 86, I shot 87.  We played the same.  Missed more putts than usual, attributed to the challenging greens.

I am also not a fan of the system.  I turned in 22 scores to my pro last month, all of my rounds for 2008.  The average score was I think 86.5, something like that.  Equals a 9.1?  It's the system and that's fine.  I'm just sticking up for Matt here because "In the end, you're cheating. Case closed." got my attention in the above post.

Eric

--- Quote from: Matt Varney on June 08, 2008, 12:04:45 AM ---Ed,

Golf is founded on honor, integrity and traditions.  I find it truly amazing that a game that at its core requires you to be honest and play with honor by the rules and that you call a penalty on yourself during your round then post you scores.  The USGA GHIN system is totally screwed up and it will never get fixed and when I shot a score around 80-82 all the time from the tips and then get my handicap and it says 6 we have a problem.  I am a total gentleman and play by the rules and I have never had a round where a playing partner on any course felt I was not truly honest on my abilites to play the game. 

Comparing my income and taxes paid to the IRS and the USGA GHIN system is absurd.  I play by the rules pay taxes on all my income earned - I don't cheat the system and I have flawless financials in the event I ever get audited with my accounting firm standing right next to me.

My character and my integrity mean more to me that some dumb ass handicap index.  I don't carry a USGA handicap anymore I just play the game and tell my partners this is my true handicap.  Guess what Ed, I play courses all over the country (public, private and resorts) and I rarely shoot 5-7 shots over my average scores at home in Knoxville.

That is honest and real so the system is flawed!

--- End quote ---

Great day yesterday.  Still grinning ear to ear. 

You're a 10. 

Matt Varney:
Eric,

Great post to this thread and I would love for you and I to play as partners against some guys that tell me they have 5 or 8 USGA handicap.  We would smoke them playing together you have a really good game and what it really comes down to is - Can you play?

Really great day yesterday one of the best days of golf I have had in long time.

Matt

Richard Boult:

--- Quote from: Matt Varney on June 08, 2008, 12:04:45 AM ---Golf is founded on honor, integrity and traditions.

--- End quote ---

Yes, and whether you like the current system or not, it ONLY works if everyone uses it with honor and integrity.  People like you who choose not to use it are cheating.  The current system is fair as long as everyone uses it as designed (which requires honor and integrity).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version