News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Brauer

This is bad news for one of my favorite courses
« on: November 07, 2006, 09:42:23 AM »
I was just looking at the routing of the original 27 hole course (which is hung over our copy machine) yesterday, and today I see this.......we know the club has a history of selling off land.

There is some land on the north boundary.  The high rise apparently will take out the old range, which is too small anyway.

Des Moines Register (Iowa)
October 21, 2006 Saturday

The board of directors at Wakonda Club wants to develop town homes in two locations on its private, 18-hole golf course as a way to lift the aging club out of debt and build its declining membership.
The plan would include clusters of 40 to 50 town homes along Park Avenue, north of the fifth fairway, as well as a midrise building with an undetermined number of units adjacent to the clubhouse. Club President Brad Winterbottom said each town house could translate into $30,000 to $50,000, for a potential of several million dollars in new revenue to the 84-year-old club.
"We've been looking for ways to create additional revenue opportunities without assessing the membership," said Winterbottom, who would not disclose de-tails on membership fees. "I would stress that we're still in the conceptual stage with this project, and while the board of directors is viewing it very positively, we still want full membership feedback before we make a final vote."
Wakonda Club's membership has dropped 25 percent, to 352, in 13 years. It has 57 members younger than the age of 40, club officials said.
Winterbottom said the decline is reflective of the country club industry as a whole, as more upscale public clubs become available and suburban families choose to join clubs closer to home.
Where Des Moines Golf and Country Club has enjoyed strong growth in the western suburbs, Wakonda Club has remained somewhat stagnant, he said.
"When you have a vibrant, full membership, it creates cash flow to buy more amenities and attract even more members," Winterbottom said. "Our hope is that this project will allow us to retire our debt and make significant improvements so that we too can draw in new members and better serve our existing ones."
Golf course housing has become increasingly common in suburbs and rural areas, but the move would be a big step for a landlocked club in the middle of the city. Wakonda leaders stressed that while the club was still sound financially, the trends were troubling.
In a DVD sent to members explaining the proposal, businessman and philanthropist Jim Cownie implores: "If we don't do something like this housing initiative, we will continue to languish." . . .

Two member forums will be held next week to discuss the development, and board members will vote on the plan early next month. If they decide to move forward, Wakonda would then begin meeting with developers, Winterbottom said. The club would sell land to developers, who would then sell the units. A range of costs for the units hasn't been determined.
So far the feedback from members has been good, Winterbottom said.
"We absolutely want to make sure that the golfing and club experience that people have historically enjoyed out of Wakonda remains intact," Winterbottom said. "I feel certain that we will."
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

John_Conley

Re:This is bad news for one of my favorite courses
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 10:23:04 AM »
Jeff, never been there, but I've heard Wakonda is wonderful.  Des Moines is a relatively affluent city and the golf course is supposed to be outstanding; the economics for private clubs are pretty ugly.

Hey, look on the bright side... at least they aren't doing this at one you designed!

(Aside for the board:

I was just in Myrtle Beach and a lot of talk is about the course closings.  Wild Wing is grinding up 3 of its 4 courses.  To Jeff's credit, HIS WILD WING IS THE ONE THEY'RE KEEPING!!  At least he says it is his, the promotional material I saw attributed it to Larry Nelson.  ;)  Congrats to Jeff, you're a survivor!)

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 10:40:18 AM »
Thanks John.  Hey the Golf Digest Best New Plaque (10th place, 1994) is hanging in my office and has both our names.  And Larry hasn't done much since. ;)

Actually, the same thing is happening at Stallion Mtn in Vegas, although I understand Curley Schmidt is actually taking three holes of one of the other two courses and combining it with the 15 of my course.

On the other hand, the Nelson/Brauer Centenniel in Acworth, GA wasn't immune and is an NLE. Kinda makes a guy feel old.

And to be fair to Rees, his course at WW was as popular as ours, or nearly so.  He had the most land, which he converted to lakes, inadvertantly making his course the best candidate to convert to "premium housing."   The facility was originally supposed to be 90 or 99 holes, I think, the Owners lucky number.  Willard Byrd did the master planning and first two courses, using more than 2/5th the land.  We had to squeeze our 3rd and 4th holes into a strip of land between his courses and MB National to keep within our land allocation, but it still wasn't enough to let Rees do the last two courses, so he went for big lakes, which will now be converted to "fishing lots."

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 11:46:49 AM »
If they started selling firewood, they could be in the business for years and maybe even attract a few more members.

Jason Topp

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 11:48:36 AM »
I don't remember much room to the North of the 5th fairway (maybe to the North of the 2nd hole) and, while the range is too small, it is difficult for me to imagine that elimination of the driving range could help the club.  I can't think of a spot where they could add one but if they can - a high rise would do little to hurt an ugly corner of the property.

Interesting comment about club culture.  The newer competition mentioned in the article includes Des Moines Golf and Country Club (Dye), Glen Oaks (Fazio) and the Tournament Club of Iowa (Palmer).  None of those courses are anywhere near the quality of Wakonda, but when I was a kid, Wakonda was really the only high end alternative in the city.  DMCC existed but was considered way out of town and an immature course.

Ironically, even people living in the outer suburbs of Des Moines could get to Wakonda in 15-20 minutes.  The City just is not that big.  

Dan Moore

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 03:05:18 PM »
My apologies to to the original poster of this aerial which I copied off an earlier post.  

Often cited as one of Langford and Moreau's very best courses, how will these changes affect the course itself?

How true to the original course is the course today?  

Would the club use the new funds for restoration?  

Assuming the club needs an infusion of capital to remain viable, are there reasonable alternatives?  

Would a national membership be attractive to fans of L&M?  

What happened to the other 9 holes?

"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 04:24:46 PM »
Dan,

The other nine is north of five and two, across the road. It sits under a 10-12 story high rise.  From the architecture of the high rise, I doubt it was earlier than the fifties, but could be wrong.

Holes 3-5 were actually part of the third nine originally, as was No. 2, which was reversed at some point.  The renumbered a bit when the nine went out of commission.  Besides the range, there is a small bit of land by 3 green, but I have to believe the range is in play to be, uh, out of play.

As to how true the course is, I haven't been there in a few years.  Roger Rulewhich had recently redone some greens and bunkers which do look different than the original remnants that still exist.  Dave Gill did the 18th green in the 60's and Dick Nugent did the ninth green in the 80's.  A local firm did some work around the creek, widening it for flood control and adding some formal landscaping.

Lots of neat old bunker remnants, some of which are only 120 yards or so from the tees.  My favorite is the sunken, fall away 11th green, which appears untouched and would be loved by all on this board.  I also love the footbridge connecting 16 tee and fw - it crosses a large valley. Of course, today, carts zip most players up and down that valley, and there is no need to level out the walk.  It shows that it was a walking course at one time!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 04:26:10 PM by Jeff_Brauer »

Buck Wolter

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 09:30:13 PM »
My recollection from my time in Des Moines was that Wakonda was and probably is 'the club' in DM and the state-- hard to believe this isn't self-inflicted. With only 500,000 people in the Metro area there may not have been enough up to their standards.

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 09:59:06 PM »
Jeff, It is sad news.

Maybe this isn't appropriate and/or should have its own thread, but my naivate' on these matters is boundless. So here goes.

Doesn't anybody save anymore?

Obviously times were good for this club. And from the sound of it they were good for a long time. Shouldn't the boot straps havebeen pulled long ago, and why weren't they?

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 11:27:39 PM »
Adam Clayman -

The answer to you question is simple - NO ONE SAVES ANY MORE! Not only do they not save any more, they are taking cash out of their home equity at record levels and spending it. This phenomenon has probably been the biggest driver of the U.S. economy for the last 5 years

The U.S. has had a negative savings rate for well over 10 years now. If people no longer save their own money, it is hard to imagine the board of directors at any golf club having the discipline to save other peoples' money.

DT

Brad Swanson

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 10:52:48 AM »
If they started selling firewood, they could be in the business for years and maybe even attract a few more members.
Very funny, and very true.  This course is a Langford gem that needs some clearcutting, not condos!  I love the hilly start (though my recollection is through the rosy glasses of a small town teenager who had never played a course anywhere near as nice).

Cheers,
Brad

Cheers,
Brad

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 07:37:07 PM »
We just heard that the ownership of my club, French Creek (PA) has put the club up for sale.  Given the circumstances, it'll almost certainly remain a golf course.  But who knows what'll happen.

The golf biz is not for the faint-hearted.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back