News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Linear LONGNIDDRY GC New
« on: September 24, 2023, 07:32:45 AM »
Longniddry is a small coastal community about 12 miles east of Edinburgh. Being on the Edinburgh-North Berwick train line makes Longniddry an ideal bedroom community for the capitol city. There isn’t much in the village except access to the Firth of Forth via the Longniddry Bents. The 134-mile-long foot and cycle path, John Muir Way, passes through the bents on its way to North Berwick and eventually terminates in Dunbar, the birthplace of John Muir. Muir was a 19th century environmentalist who as a boy immigrated to Wisconsin with his family.  At university he became interested in botany, geology and zoology which eventually led to the creation of Yosemite National Park and being a co-founder of the influential Sierra Club.

Longniddry is also home to the 1921 designed HS Colt course across Links Road from the bents. In fact, parts of three old holes abandoned on the Bents side of the road are now part of the John Muir Way…which seems somehow appropriate. I am uncertain as to when the three holes were lost, but I suspect Philip Mackenzie Ross re-routed two holes for safety reasons when repairing the damage from vegetable growing during WWII. The short 6th was possibly re-routed later, perhaps by Donald Steel, again for safety reasons. Braid too had a say in the evolution of Longniddry when he worked on the course in 1936. I wish I knew more about the history of Longniddry, but to some degree it doesn’t matter. What we have now is fine parklandish course with some tendencies toward links in that Longniddry plays firm.

The map indicates a long, narrow, rather cramped property. Measuring 106 acres, Longniddry can't be accused of wasting space.

The course is bit like a three act play. 1-4 tend toward the long and difficult, but more open. 5-10 are through a wooded area. 11-18 are back to the main part of the property, but have a more varied approach to the architecture than 1-4.

The opener looks and feels like classic Colt. A right-front knob (no need for sand) hides the severe drop-off to the right and rear of the green.

Sandwiched between the 1st & 2nd is a practice ground...rather unfortunate.

Another attractive green-site.

Swinging left, the brutally long third takes no prisoners. We come to the par three account on the lovely 4th. The four bunkers look like a spear tip pointing at the tee. There is a bit of room to kick the tee-shot onto the raised green.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 02:27:05 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Linear LONGNIDDRY GC:1-4
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2023, 02:52:55 PM »
Looking forward to this.   

Parkland?   Lots of pine there and the times Ive played the fairways have run well.   Heath(ish)?  Like Elgin this means it tends to get overlooked when surrounded by Links.

I've a lot of time for Longniddry.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

Re: Linear LONGNIDDRY GC:1-4
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 09:22:12 AM »
Spangles

A lot of trees were removed to build Longniddry. It feels like the first cousin of links.

Longniddry Tour Cont

The 5th is a case in point as to the aesthetic issues of trees. The hole is very dramatic because of the greensite, yet the impact is reduced by the presence of trees. The fairway corridor is also unecessarily narrow.

Not surprisingly, the back to front slope is quite severe.

There is a whiff of the modern about the 6th. It used to play across the road.

We now cross Dean Rd for 7-10. Four holes which do feel a bit samey. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that a few of these are replacement holes. The land is flatish and the yardage for three holes varies but a mere three yards. That said, these holes have individual merit. The 7th is 60 yards longer than the other holes. I wonder if the bunkers on 7 approach are meant to be centreline.  The balance seems off.

8 heads in the same direction as 7 and is less interesting. We head back toward the house at the well bunkered 9th, however, the green is unprotected. Perhaps the best of the these four holes, the 10th green is well guarded by a large front-right bank with a bunker at its base. A cool plaque on the drinking fountain.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 04:15:29 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Stewart Abramson

Re: Linear LONGNIDDRY GC:1-10
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2023, 01:13:08 PM »
Thanks for another enjoyable tour. Longniddry looks very appealing. It flies under the radar with so many other good East Lothian courses. Looks like it's £85 weekdays and £100 weekends

Michael Graham

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2023, 01:24:26 PM »
Sean,

Looking forward to the rest of the tour. Like you I have lots of time for Longniddry. If the Buda does make it to East Lothian in the next few years I’d highly recommend it as a pre or post stop off. As Stewart mentioned, the green fees are punchy but where in Scotland aren’t these days.

Mike Worth

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2023, 04:32:45 PM »
I played a Longniddry last year. Very enjoyable day, even if it was a bit windy.

Another member-oriented fun course with a variety of holes, even if there are no par 5s.

I’m going to name my favorite hole from memory, but I think it’s #17 - a roughly 135 yard well bunkered par 3 with a green angled from lower right in front to upper left in back, making the landing area very small.

Sean_A

Re: Linear LONGNIDDRY GC:1-10 New
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2023, 09:26:46 AM »
I played a Longniddry last year. Very enjoyable day, even if it was a bit windy.

Another member-oriented fun course with a variety of holes, even if there are no par 5s.

I’m going to name my favorite hole from memory, but I think it’s #17 - a roughly 135 yard well bunkered par 3 with a green angled from lower right in front to upper left in back, making the landing area very small.

Are you thinking of 16?

Longniddry Tour Cont

We break from the trees after crossing Dean Road again with the short, two-shot 11th.  The distinguishing aspect of this hole is the roly poly fairway. The 12th too plays over impressive terrain. It isn't clear from the tee, but the fairway falls-away left as it doglegs right. Its a counter-intuitive style of architecture I have time for. Below is a look from well beyond the tees.

Great raised, side-by side two-tier green which moves perceptibly left.

No prizes for going long.

Another cracking hole, the short, uphill 13th must be a bear into a good wind. Its a shame the club allows trees to impede on the left.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 02:31:14 AM by Sean_A »

Mike Worth

Re: Linear LONGNIDDRY GC:1-13
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2023, 04:24:50 PM »
Sean — yes 16. I noted in my comment that I did it from memory without looking. Now you forced me to look at the card lol.

Sean_A

Re: Linear LONGNIDDRY GC:1-13 New
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2023, 11:25:24 AM »
Longniddry Tour Cont

The longish down n' up 14th is a par 4 of great merit. Longer hitters may have to lay up, but the hole is more about the uphill approach.

Whenever I see the patented Colt rear knobs it signals a severe back to front sloping green is likely.

We run to the end of the property on 15.  This hole is quite dangerous due to the dogleg left 17th. Its fairway aims directly at a blind area of 15 fairway. A good drive will leave a sharp uphill approach.

A short hole along the boundary, the 16th doesn't look like much, but the green is one of the more interesting on the course despite its size being much smaller than it should be.

Mentioned previously, the 17th is dangerous and awful for it. The hole turns vigorously toward houses on the left. The natural shot will often fly straight down to 15 fairway. I am surprised this hasn't been picked up as a serious safety issue. Onto the dead-straight 18th. It wasn't until now that I realized there are no three-shotters. This long par 4 is broken up by a large dip in the fairway with a crossing bunker. The green mimics the fairway in that it too is long and narrow. The back of the green is sunken making for excellent hole locations just short or wide of it. This photo, taken from the 1st tee bodes great promise for the round.

A handsome house.

I recall eagerly reading about Longniddry before ever visiting Scotland over three decades ago. I always thought it enjoyed a great reputation, but it seems this certainly isn't the case anymore. It feels as though the other East Lothian clubs have left Longniddry in a forgotten time. More is the pity. The Longniddry bones are sharp. It is merely the presentation which disappoints, but only on the level of modern high green fees. I had fairly high expectations regarding the design and they were met. If one is invited to play Longniddry it should be happily accepted. 2023

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 03:22:38 AM by Sean_A »

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Linear LONGNIDDRY GC
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2023, 04:31:53 PM »
What no mention of the John Panton ?

The Bar Manager makes his own ginger mix for this. Probably the finest non alcoholic post round refreshment in the entire free world  (they are welcome to quote me in their advertising).

Glad you liked it.   Times I've played its been quiet enough that safety isn't such an issue on 17. it's an odd one though. But 16 & 18 send you home on a high.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 04:33:54 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2023, 11:58:30 PM »
Thanks for another enjoyable tour. Longniddry looks very appealing. It flies under the radar with so many other good East Lothian courses. Looks like it's £85 weekdays and £100 weekends

Yes, I am not convinced the club presents the course in a manner which justifies the green fee. But as Michael stated, East Lothian is a high tariff area.

Ciao

JohnVDB

Re: Linear LONGNIDDRY GC
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2023, 09:22:46 AM »
What no mention of the John Panton ?

The Bar Manager makes his own ginger mix for this. Probably the finest non alcoholic post round refreshment in the entire free world  (they are welcome to quote me in their advertising.

I discovered the John Panton during my visits to Dornoch (where he was an honorary member) this year.  It has become my favorite after round sip on days where I play early or need to drive so a beer is out of the question.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back