News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Shulman

The Most Under the Radar New Links Course Opening…Ever?
« on: August 31, 2023, 09:36:12 AM »
So, I’m just back from a visit to the Lofoten Islands. Along the way, I spent two days in the nearby Vesterælen region, where I stumbled across a 9-holer named Bleik Golfstrømbane. It sits alongside the Norwegian Sea about a three-hour drive north of Lofoten Links.

The layout is fairly basic, although there are some good holes and green sites. The course is maintained by volunteer members, including a retired gentleman I met who handles the bulk of the work, assisted by a Roomba-like robot mower. Green speeds are VERY slow (you do get used to it) and each teeing area offers two options – a very small grass tee with markers and a driving range mat atop a wooden platform.

While playing, it started to dawn on me that maybe this is a links course. The first clue was that the bare spots in the fairway revealed sand, not soil. Others are its seaside location, the complete lack of trees and the wee burn that runs throughout the property. After I got home, I did some research and discovered it's a relatively new course, having opened sometime in the last five or so years, leading to the title of my post.

Does anyone know anything about this place? Playing it was serendipitous good fun. I do have photos I can post, but need a tutorial on process, so please DM me. In the meantime, check out the club's Facebook page, which has pics and a March 22 video that provides a feel for the terrain and very scenic location.

Matt Schoolfield

Re: The Most Under the Radar New Links Course Opening…Ever?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2023, 04:16:39 PM »
I've made an explainer for uploading photos. Here you go: https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,72248.0.html

I'll also be adding this course to the wiki right away.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 04:19:06 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Andy Shulman

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2023, 10:11:14 PM »
Thanks so much, Matt! I guess I'm one of the many dinosaurs to have tried and failed (miserably, I might add) to add photos to their post. Check out the club's Facebook page if interested in seeing some of the course and its spectacular setting.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 04:28:55 AM by Andy Shulman »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2023, 10:51:20 PM »
Andy, when I played Lofoten Links last summer, I thought about making the drive up there but relented. I think it might be the most northern course in the world.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Andy Shulman

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2023, 04:22:31 AM »
It is a long drive, Tommy, and the golf is still pretty rudimentary, so I understand your decision. Our primary objective for visiting the area was to hike Matind and get away for a couple of days from the crowds that now invade Lofoten every summer. Unfortunately, two days of low-hanging fog made the hike pointless, but opened up time to give the golf course a try with borrowed clubs.

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2023, 05:22:48 AM »
I think it might be the most northern course in the world.
I would would say it's the perfect debatable type of topic for the forum. While Tromsø is up there and Hammerfest might also claim most northern, I think Ulukhaktok Golf Course in Canada might win on some technicalities (at 70.7º North vs Bleik's 69.2). Norway however has conditions that allow it to grow proper grass for golf, whereas Ulukhaktok relies on artificial tees and greens.
If someone were to build an 18 hole course on Magerøya, it would end any debate for now at least.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Jeff Schley

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2023, 10:56:50 AM »
Great click bait title. ;D
Was going to Lofoten Links this summer, but guy coordinating had to drop. Next summer and will keep this in mind for a diversion.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2023, 11:19:26 AM »
Great click bait title. ;D
Was going to Lofoten Links this summer, but guy coordinating had to drop. Next summer and will keep this in mind for a diversion.

I spent a week on the islands and loved every minute of it. Drive down to the village of 'A". It is a stunning drive.

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Andy Shulman

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2023, 05:59:01 PM »
Thanks for posting-looks amazing.
Hope they can make a go of it as a community asset.

Why is there a need to build formal tees?
I see that wonderful tawny turf all around the tees, and then those awful, tiny elevated weed farms and and I wonder why a player just couldn't find a patch of turf and tee off?

This is not just something that plagues this course. I often see it at low budget courses, that are far better as playing surfaces when bare than when covered in rough/weeds, often fueled by artificial irrigation.

Other than for drainage(which may be the answer).I've never understood the need to move dirt to build an awful elevated platform that is highly likely to get worn out, rather than just rotating the markers in a region of reasonable turf near the previous green.
Especially when there is nearby attractive turf, such as in this case.(I do undertand the need for the mats at certain seasonal times)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 06:07:20 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Thomas Dai

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2023, 03:33:15 AM »
Spotted this course at Bleik on googleearth some time back - see - https://earth.google.com/web/@69.27733701,15.98109634,0.01539a,3093.89485544d,60y,-0h,0t,0r

Looks interesting so thanks for the photos.
Love the irrigation system in photo 1. Reminds me of decades gone bye. Same with the conditioning, nice and raw and rugged. Note though, how the desire for course furniture, ie the hole signage, has now spread even to the north of Norway.

And for those who have an instant desire to visit it theres an airport at Andeness only a few miles away.
atb

PS - and this is what the course looks like from atop a nearby mountain - !!! - https://earth.google.com/web/@69.2827759,16.004055,283.56770078a,0d,60y,271.82809042h,75.58941309t,0r/data=IjAKLEFGMVFpcE9aMjJ3U1NHQ0FoQ2FmeXQzdHV0Q1Rpb0JwbHg2RW1uSnRkenM3EAU
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 03:38:43 AM by Thomas Dai »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2023, 08:12:24 PM »
I had a college roommate from Tromso, Norway. It is north of Bleik, and claims the northernmost 18 hole golf club.

Pretty sure you can find 9 hole golf course(s) even north of that.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back