News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Stephens

Taymouth Castle
« on: August 20, 2023, 04:27:48 AM »
Has anyone heard what's going on at Taymouth Castle?

Apparently the course is being ripped up again - third iteration and designed by Beau Welling.

Braid did the early work and it was recently modified by Weller Designs with Stephen Gallacher now its a building site. 

Adam Lawrence

Re: Taymouth Castle
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2023, 12:11:55 PM »
Landmark Land have acquired it and it is their first UK development.

Landmark is spreading its wings: it has Costaterra in Portugal and a development in Dubai too. Both, as far as I can see, are mostly focused on American customers, and I suspect Taymouth will be the same.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Niall C

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2023, 12:29:12 PM »
There has been an awful lot of local press recently about Taymouth and none of it positive. Much of the press focused on locals concerns that the developer was buying up as much of the local town as possible with the intent of making it a gated community. Many of the reports mention gated community developments they have done elsewhere.

I haven't read anything about the course being remodelled again but I did walk a good part of it during lockdown and to be honest wasn't blown away by that particular iteration.

Niall

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2023, 01:26:26 PM »
Sorry Discovery Land
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2023, 03:45:40 PM »
I will let you know  after i play it next week but I already like it for the story about the player being harangued for teeing from the forward tee.
I seem to remember liking the view and the gentle handshake.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

David_Tepper

Daryl David

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2023, 07:39:42 PM »
https://www.thenational.scot/culture/23661235.taymouth-castle-plans-echo-history-clearances-fake-fantasy/

I bet the execs at Discovery would have never believed they would be associated with the clearances.  Wow.

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2023, 11:20:07 PM »
Daryl D. -

The history of the Clearances runs very deep in Scotland, especially in the Highlands.

DT

Ben Stephens

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2023, 04:10:00 AM »
There has been an awful lot of local press recently about Taymouth and none of it positive. Much of the press focused on locals concerns that the developer was buying up as much of the local town as possible with the intent of making it a gated community. Many of the reports mention gated community developments they have done elsewhere.

I haven't read anything about the course being remodelled again but I did walk a good part of it during lockdown and to be honest wasn't blown away by that particular iteration.

Niall

The latest google aerial shows that the course is like a construction site with barriers around protected trees. Also there was an ad for a senior greenkeeper with an image of the castle being revamped/restored and course under construction

Niall C

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2023, 06:40:57 AM »
Ben

Clearly you get a different Google Earth signal in Wales than I do up here because the aerial I'm seeing doesn't show any work on the course although recent photos show the building is covered in scaffolding. Presumably there is something on Beau Wellings website ?

Niall

David_Tepper

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2023, 08:58:25 AM »

Ben Stephens

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2023, 11:56:36 AM »
Ben

Clearly you get a different Google Earth signal in Wales than I do up here because the aerial I'm seeing doesn't show any work on the course although recent photos show the building is covered in scaffolding. Presumably there is something on Beau Wellings website ?

Niall

Niall,

I live in Rutland, England in the middle of nowhere as a Welsh exile :)

Try Google Earth Pro - as they have a timeline of aerials

Cheers
Ben

James Boon

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2023, 12:14:39 PM »
This article on the BBC news website gives a bit more background to the wider development and has some photos of the work underway to the golf course:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-66536183

I know the village of Kenmore well as I've stayed in it on many occasions while on holiday. I also knew the previous Braid course pretty well, and though it was a decent parkland course, it wasnt anything special. Having been there several times in the last few years I've walked some of the more recent version that as far as I'm aware no one has played, which seemed a waste, not necessarily because the course was anything special (I cant really say as didnt walk all of it) , but because of the time, effort and resources that went into it being built. Seems even more of a waste if its now being dug up to start again.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back