News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

YOK 1 in New Buffalo, Michigan (aka Dunes Club)
« on: August 04, 2021, 10:43:44 PM »
YOK stands for "Year of Kevin," as in the celebration of Kevin Lynch's 50th birthday (which tremored last year, during the early worst of the pandemic.) Postponed until this year, our mild midwest tour visits a number of courses. None will be identified by name; it won't take you long to identify them by place and images. Enjoy YOK1.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 08:59:25 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

Re: YOK 1 in New Buffalo, Michigan (aka Dunes Club)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 01:37:28 PM »
I'm going to add in the names of each of the YOKs, one per day, over the next eight days. YOK 1 is the course that might be considered as the one that got it all started. Born in 1990, it predates Sand Hills by four years. They say that the lookout point at Bandon Trails 14th tee is hallowed ground for this generation, but the nine-hole layout along Lake Michigan's southeastern shore is equally venerated.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 02:31:26 PM »
The 14th at Bandon Trails is a perfect example of the Millennial Generation. The green was too small so they enlarged it. The hill too steep so they brought in a shuttle. On my last round I proudly walked the hill while my caddie took the shuttle. The hole represents where the worm turned. Hardly hallowed.

John McCarthy

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 03:13:24 PM »
I played Dunes Club yesterday for the first time.  I loved it obviously. 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 06:34:15 PM »
Reply #2 is one man's opinion. Not my own. People had heart attacks on that walk. Not just one. Good golf architects revisit their work and make alterations. Old Course, Pinehurst #2, Pasatiempo, Bandon Trails. My Hallowed Ground edict stands.

John, who were your caddies? They are splendid fellows. Filled with support and stories.

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John McCarthy

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 07:01:58 PM »
Ronald:

I completely forgot their names!  They were top notch - they should be, they are trained to the Butler standard.  And everyone knows Butler has the best caddies in the nation.

Mine was a longtime caddy/ski bum who now lives locally.  Did not need to pace off a single yardage, kept me away from disaster.  Heard a very funny story about a Dunes Club caddy and Anthony Rizzo.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back