News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Cruden Bay as it once was - old photos
« on: December 29, 2019, 01:02:03 PM »
Some old B&W photos of Cruden Bay now with colour added.
Enjoy.
atb

David Harshbarger

Re: Cruden Bay as it once was - old photos
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 09:18:50 PM »
Thomas, I love how the hotel provides a landmark to gauge how far out on the course the subjects are. 

Also, love the grounds crew.  Hope they don't bleat during your swing! 

(BTW - are herds flocks of sheep actually effective at their job, assuming an appropriate adjustment in conditioning expectations?)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 08:26:04 AM by David Harshbarger »
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 07:44:39 AM »
...are herds of sheep actually effective at their job, assuming an appropriate adjustment in conditioning expectations?
Flocks of sheep can be very effective. Inexpensive and flexible too.

Mowing by sheep and grazing animals was pretty standard at GB&I courses for centuries/decades. Some of us wish they still were. See my other old photo threads, like the ones on TOC and St Enodoc and you’ll see that in prior times sheep were nibbling away at the fairways. Other parts of the world too. Not appropriate everywhere though for reasons like climate and nearby hungry meat eating critters. Goats are good nibblers too, eg Lahinch, and will eat a greater variety of vegetation than sheep or cattle.
Conditioning isn’t usually an issue unless you’re a course-must-always-be-manicured fan, and for rural area courses there is a cost impact in terms of costly equipment and staff versus grazing animals. Also, a course doesn’t need that many sheep, they’re pretty much 24-hour nibblers and the resulting short length of grass is pretty near perfect to play from and the sword of high quality. Sheep tend to avoid putting surfaces as the grass on the fairways is easier for them to nibble. Bigger grazers with heavier feet can need a stout or electric fence to keep them away from putting surfaces, eg Brora.
Atb

David Harshbarger

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 08:31:18 AM »
I've noted the electric fences at Minchinhampton.  Makes sense that would be for the heavier grazers.

From personal experience, our horses really suck at uniform grazing.  That's one reason I was curious about the sheep. 

Goats are frigging garbage disposals of vegetation.  With their popularity as yoga partners I would think they have a future at the upscale club, wouldn't you?

The photos are excellent.  It's nice to see the ladies on the course. 

Am I to understand the course in these photos is the Old Tom layout and that that layout has been subsumed by renovations in the '20's?  If so, how different is it?

Also, that course is really exposed.  There's nary an inch of shade out there.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 05:17:26 AM »
Very fine ATB. Is the second photo the 8th?

Happy Hockey
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 07:06:29 AM »
I believe the 2nd photo is of the present 8th hole.
Not sure when sheep disappeared from the course. After WWII maybe?
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back