News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robin_Hiseman

Reputable courses that start with a Par 3
« on: October 22, 2019, 06:30:28 AM »
I've got a situation whereby I may be required to design a course with an opening Par 3. It's likely to cause a negative reaction, so am looking for some help from the forum to help justify my case with a list of references to notable courses that start with a 3.

So far, I have the following UK courses of note:

Royal Lytham (obviously)
Berkshire Blue
Liphook
Hayling
Bingley St. Ives
Purley Downs
St. Andrews (Eden) (due to clubhouse moving)
Boat of Garten
Deeside (due to clubhouse moving)
also...the old Glendevon Course at Gleneagles (RIP)

There will be others, but i'm hoping you can give me some US, European and Australasian examples to strengthen my case.

I grew up on a course that started and finished with a Par 3, so I've never really given much credence to the prejudice against them. I figure that as long as I put down a relatively straightforward, attractive hole that we won't have too many issues with the tee sheet...and given where we might be building it (confidential for now) I doubt we'll have issues in that regard too often anyway!

I'm hoping you can come up with some good ones.

Thanks.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Notts; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ),

Thomas Dai

Re: Reputable courses that start with a Par 3
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 07:05:56 AM »
Ashburnham
Church Stretton
Enville (Lodge course)
atb
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 10:04:50 AM by Thomas Dai »

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 07:14:08 AM »
The Addington
Walton Heath Old

Matthew Rose

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 07:22:44 AM »
Latrobe GC in Melbourne does.

Yarra Yarra used to before it was rerouted.

Victoria GC is a very short 4 that's been played as a par 3 in events.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 07:27:13 AM »
The Addington
Walton Heath Old

Walton Heath! I knew there was an obvious one i'd missed. Thank you.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Notts; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ),

Ira Fishman

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 07:57:13 AM »
Kilspindie

David McIntosh

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 07:59:17 AM »
Robin,

Off the top of my head, there’s also:
S&A
Bridge of Allan
Winterfield (Dunbar)
Aberdour
Pacific Grove

The last two start off with two par 3s!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 08:06:05 AM by David McIntosh »

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 08:03:49 AM »
A par 3 start is a wonderful way to space out play.

A par 3 start comes up very often in competition with a two tee start as 10 being a par 3 is far more common

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 08:04:31 AM »

The short course at ANGC  ;D

and Musselburgh Old

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2019, 08:23:14 AM »
The Addington
Walton Heath Old

Might not want to mention WHO as the club wants to ditch this hole  8)

Happy Hockey
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2019, 08:45:50 AM »
The Addington
Walton Heath Old

Might not want to mention WHO as the club wants to ditch this hole  8) 

Happy Hockey

Trust me. They wouldn't know any of these courses from a lump of coal! It's strength in numbers that will count. The knowledge that we're not going out on a limb with something unheard of or unproven.

I'm also going to have to persuade them that you can have a 'proper' golf course with a par other than 72. You wouldn't credit how many times I've had that discussion over the years. I've read planning conditions that state a golf course has to have a par of 72!

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 09:03:10 AM »
Both nines at the Southampton municipal course start with par 3’s; very unusual but it worked quite well.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Ben Stephens

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 10:24:21 AM »
Longcliffe GC nr Loughborough starts with a meaty par 3 uphill with a two tier green.

The former Western Park opened with a par 3 on both nines which was unusual.

Liphook is one of my favourite opening holes.

La Domangere in France originally opened with a par 3 now renumbered as hole 11 - I nearly had a hole in one (1 inch from the hole) and the prize for the next day pro-am was a Mercedes 190E this happened in 1992!

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2019, 10:38:47 AM »

Robin,

Slightly different take on your question, but one way to justify a par 3 opener is that pace of play experts like Bill Yates said starting with a par 3 is the best way to set pace and flow on any course because it meters players/groups out without having to manage the first tee.

Form follows function, futuristic design.  And, as Pete Dye told me once, "Apologize for nothing, its just the way you wanted it!"
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Sam Krume

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 10:40:32 AM »
I guess you also forgot The Knole....very similar to the Add....I think that La Moye in Jersey also starts with a 3

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 10:46:02 AM »
The Grange (Dublin, James Braid design)

EDIT: Actually, it starts off with two par threes.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 10:49:39 AM by Dónal Ó Ceallaigh »

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2019, 11:28:10 AM »

Robin,

Slightly different take on your question, but one way to justify a par 3 opener is that pace of play experts like Bill Yates said starting with a par 3 is the best way to set pace and flow on any course because it meters players/groups out without having to manage the first tee.

Form follows function, futuristic design.  And, as Pete Dye told me once, "Apologize for nothing, its just the way you wanted it!"

My thoughts exactly Jeff. It might only be an issue if you are a commercial pay-and-play operator envisioning a full tee sheet at 8-minute intervals...which this isn't.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2019, 11:29:19 AM »
I guess you also forgot The Knole....very similar to the Add....I think that La Moye in Jersey also starts with a 3

I had...but I would have got there in the end, Sam. Thanks for the input. It's all adding supporting weight to the case.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2019, 11:32:13 AM »
Meyrick Park too, although at 244-yards, it is a brute of a hole to start with.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2019, 11:53:00 AM »
Robin
I was struck by the fact that you referenced "reputable" courses that start with a Par 3 -- because it brought to mind the reality that there are many less than stellar courses that also start with Par 3s (and I've played several).
Which is to say: what's interesting (and perhaps important) is what happens *after* a Par 3 opener -- since a course's quality and reputation seems to be determined 'backwards' or 'post-facto'.
In other words, the 17 holes that follow the opening Par 3 at the courses mentioned in this thread obviously 'complete' a very satisfying picture & experience, with the opening hole being merely a pleasing 'part' of that picture/experience.
On the rather banal and wholly average/unremarkable courses I've played, the rest of the golf holes haven't been nearly interesting enough to 'mitigate' the Par 3 opener.
Or, to put it too bluntly: I'd suggest you focus on the other 17 holes more, and then everybody will forget all about the opener!  :) 

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2019, 12:10:35 PM »
Bingley St Ives is a short four. Always liked that course.

The Shire has a rather brutal island green par three opener...
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Niall C

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2019, 12:43:36 PM »
Whitecraigs in Glasgow.

Niall

Mike Hendren

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2019, 12:44:05 PM »
Has Huntercombe been mentioned?

Mr. X
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Ben Stephens

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2019, 01:26:09 PM »

The Shire has a rather brutal island green par three opener...

The Shire opening hole has rather a large green I don't think its that brutal. The other par 3's like 7th and 17th are harder

Another I forgot is Piperdam a tricky short par 3 over a large lake.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2019, 02:14:22 PM »

I'm also going to have to persuade them that you can have a 'proper' golf course with a par other than 72. You wouldn't credit how many times I've had that discussion over the years.

I would imagine that the majority of courses holding a major have a par that is less than 72.

Adam,

for the European Tour Events held there in the 80's (Lawrence Batley) it was played as a par three but you are correct that it was normally a short par 4.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back