News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jeffwarne

Re: George Waters on Seth Raynor & CC of Charleston
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 09:05:27 PM »
Isn't it interesting that the impotence of the governing bodies has enabled the LPGA, (and to a lessor degree the Senior men) to play some of the best courses in the country on a scale originally intended by the architect, while the PGA Tour and men's majors find themselves at either a bastardized supersized classic with dead turf or a modern monstrosity.

CC of Charleston looks fantastic in those photos-I've only played it in the winter

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tommy Williamsen

Re: George Waters on Seth Raynor & CC of Charleston
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 09:33:11 PM »
It is a wonderful course. I have played it twice, before the restoration and afterwards. I have to admit, the first time I was left wanting. I didn't get it. The second time made me a believer. There are some flatish holes but the green complexes are off the charts. My biggest "What is that?" came on the famous 11th. I had friends who played the Azalea Invitational who told me they lay up on 11 and trust their short game to make par. It is kind of a volcano green although it is called a redan. The bunkers left and right are from Dante's Inferno. The first time I thought, "Go for it." I played the hole from about 160 yards and hit the green. The second time I went back to the back tee, about 185 yards and hit it into the right bunker. It is some ten feet below the green. I made three the first time and an easy five the second. I am eager to see how the women handle the course and the devilish 11th.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back