News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Schley

I know Hillcrest CC started their renovation last summer, but apparently it won't be ready this year until sometime September or after due to heavy rains this winter.  Does anyone know any specifics of the renovation as I only know hasn't been open since last August. I think Todd Eckenrode is doing the work, but not certain, as he has done many LA renovations.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Robert Mercer Deruntz

The work is being done by Kyle Phillips and is more than a renovation.  There has been a complete rerouting, and a full length driving range and short game area.  Having seen my really good friend's photo and video tour, it will be a very enjoyable and strategic test.  The previous course had a few William Watson gems, but quite a few not his greatest holes.  Overall, this should be an improvement plus they now have really good practice facilities.

B.Ross

heard from a member that they'll have views of Downtown on 4-6 holes once all said & done, but that they're not likely reopening until sept '19 despite july '19 being target date. wet LA february put things behind schedule.

Steve Lapper

So long as they keep Kyle,Todd et.al. out of any kitchen renovation, it will be an unequivocal success! ;D ;D
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Robert Mercer Deruntz

Steve you are spot on!  Could have some of the best food and dining in the US! 

David Druzisky

Hillcrest really needed to take an aggressive approach with improving their golf and by all accounts it appears they have with Kyle pretty much re-inventing the place.  With all the great work that has occurred at the other clubs in the area they were way behind.  Heck they were way behind even before. 
I spent a fair amount of time there back in the 90's when I was with Keith Foster and we were working with the club.  We did a few things, but I recall it was difficult to get them to do much.  And yes, even then, the food had a stronger rep than the golf. 
I do remember standing I believe at the first tee and hearing a very recognizable voice talking somewhere behind me.  Jack Lemon.  It was shortly after all the OJ Simpson trial stuff (or it was still ongoing) so of course Robert Shapiro was recognizable to me.

Landscapes Unlimited is doing the work and yes, they've mentioned the weather (it's a fairly hilly property) and permit/city challenges have had to be managed.  I am hoping to swing by there later this summer when in the area.  If I remember, I will report back in.  I'm sure Kyle and his gang are going to do something nice there.

Blake Conant

Is Kyle shortening the course?  Curious how a full length driving range and short game area fits into that property without making some sacrifices on the golf course.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

By rerouting the course, Phillips was able find room for a modern grass 300 yard+ driving range. Though I have not seen the yardages on all the new holes, I would be very surprised if the new course is less than a couple hundred yards longer from the tips. This includes two drivable par 4's and a very short par 3.

Adam G

Re: Hillcrest CC (LA) renovation - I think Eckenrode is doing the work?
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 11:22:36 AM »
I believe the "new" Hillcrest opened a few weeks ago? Any updates or impressions?

I have seen a video on Vimeo comparing the old and new courses, but am curious to hear on the ground impressions.

B.Ross

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 04:40:32 PM »
they aren't allowing guests until 2020. this is the vimeo vid referenced - https://vimeo.com/363922509

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jeff Schley

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2019, 12:50:26 PM »
Lovely vimeo drone cam shot.  Really like the beautiful bunker on the Par 3 sixth and taking out the trees on the right side and replacing it with some large shared bunkers with 12 it looks like. Should be a great shape by next summer when I get back to LA. Commend the membership for going down 15 months til they got their course back.
- Steve Prefontaine

Adam G

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2019, 08:25:55 PM »
The routing is quite clever. It adds several hundred yards, allows for a much larger driving range, and a par 3 course on the same land! Tree removal also opened some nice vistas across the property and the city.

It looks like they kept the old 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 14, and 18 (now 10, 13, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 3, and 18, respectively). There are some nice updates on the old holes with more interesting bunker and more strategy as you mention (e.g. nice tie in between 8th and 13th fairways, originally 8 and 4). There are some subtle tweaks: 18 is lengthened as a par 5 that begins close to the old 13 tee, 8 is shortened to a long par 4 by bringing the green forward, and that allows 9 to be a par 5 beginning to the right of the old 8th green.

Then they found a lot of empty space in the old center of the golf course where the old 12, the beginning of 13 fairway, 15, 16, and 17 were. The new 1 begins in the old driving range and ends at the old 11 green. 2 is a par 3 going to the old 13 green, 4 is a new par 3 making use of the turf nursery that used to be right of the old 15. 11 replaces the old 2 with a short par 4 up the hill, moving the tee back to right of the old 3rd green. 12 takes some of the land that the old 3 has and is long downhill Biaritz par 3. The new 14th is a long par 3 that replaces the old 16th -- but actually goes to the green site of the original Watson 16th green which was on a hill behind and to the right of the old 16th. Then 15, 16, and 17 are new long par 4s which traverse across the terrain of the old 16th, 17th, 15th, and 12th green. This leaves space for a huge driving range and par 3 course where the old 10th and 11th holes were.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 08:33:36 PM by Adam Guren »

Adam G

Jeff Schley

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2019, 04:06:19 PM »
Adam, I really like the drone video for it has before and after.  It illustrates so well what reading leaves to your imagination.  I have a charity auction here next summer so looking forward to seeing the changes.  BTW it was always known for having great food and dining room, I assume that will still be the case.
- Steve Prefontaine

John Emerson

I have video of the 1929 PGA Championship at Hillcrest if anyone is interested in seeing this.  I dont know much about Hillcrest, so I thought someone here might care about the clip
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back