News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Schley

Retiring - St. Andrews Links Director of Greenkeeping Gordon
« on: December 06, 2018, 02:02:12 AM »
Just saw this on the St. Andrews Links blog and end of an era.  Gordon is still relatively young, but certainly his job has been very hectic I'm sure.  Some interesting Q/A with him found here.

http://blog.standrews.com/2018/11/20/director-of-greenkeeping-to-bid-farewell-to-the-home-of-golf/

I never had the pleasure of meeting the man, but anyone have any good stories or memories of Gordon? I know Mark Chaplin just finished up a season at St. Andrews.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Mark Chaplin

Re: Retiring - St. Andrews Links Director of Greenkeeping Gordon
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 05:18:41 PM »
Gordon is a great guy and highly respected, other than the Augusta course manager I doubt anyone has run as many majors and top tier professional and amateur tournaments. I imagine he’ll spend the next couple of years travelling with Pauline and taking up some of the hundreds invitations he must have received over the years.

I’d hope the Trust give him a life Links Ticket for his service.
Cave Nil Vino

Joshua Pettit

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 01:53:55 PM »
I contacted Gordon while I was studying in Edinburgh in 2008 and he graciously offered to meet with me.  In the morning he insisted on picking me up at the train station instead of letting me take a taxi to St. Andrews.  We ended up spending most of the day together touring the facilities, the Old, New, Jubilee, Eden and then up to the just completed Castle Course which was nearing its official opening.  I'll never forget his hospitality and his genuine interest in talking with me. 

From my brief experience getting to know him I 'd say this sums him up pretty well -- from the blog:

"Greenkeeping is an industry where people are more than willing to share knowledge, experiences and help others.  I've met so many people over the years who have helped me in one way or another and I'd like to think I've done the same for others."

I wish him well in retirement. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 04:16:38 PM by Joshua Pettit »
"The greatest and fairest of things are done by nature, and the lesser by art."

Ken Moum

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 03:10:44 PM »
My first round on The Old Course was with Gordon and Euan Grant, the greenkeeper at the time.  Gordon had given me and a friend a tour of the construction on the Castle Course and around TOC on the previous Sunday.

He's not only a nice guy, but a heck of player.

In subsequent trips to Scotland, I've reached out to him and in each case he went out of his way to come around and say hello.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back