News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Re: Thoughtfully select the site of your final, earthly round of golf
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2018, 04:12:42 PM »
Any of you guys or gals think often of your own mortality? I know I do, perhaps too much.

I have definite nostalgic tendencies, like listening to 80s music and not wanting to get a haircut. So for me I imagine if asked to choose one last earthly round of golf I think it would have to be the course I played most when I was a kid ... Lake Tansi.

Eric,

I have found that liking golf course architecture is a double edge sword in terms of confronting my mortality.  On the one hand, I plan trips to celebrate milestones (60th Birthday, 30th Wedding Anniversary) that enable me to remember the many good times I have been blessed to have.  On the other hand, I think about all of the courses that I will never get to see or that I will get to play some of my favorites only once.  Plus of course I lose more distance each passing year.

But all in all, I subscribe to Walter Hagen's philosophy: "You are only here for a short while so make sure to smell the roses as your go by."

Ira
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 04:22:27 PM by Ira Fishman »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2018, 02:15:35 PM »
I hadn't checked on this thread for over a week, and look what we have.

I'm always reminded of the game of telephone that kids play, where you whisper a message to the person next to you, and by the time it reaches the 5th or 10th or 20th in the line, the original message is hopelessly irretrievable. Allow me to explain:

--This is not a "once you finish, you drop dead" round of golf. Not a Bing Crosby thing in the slightest;
--You don't get to make demands, nor invent rules;
--It's only too difficult a question until it isn't;
--I'm 52. I've lost golf buddies much younger and much older. Perhaps they thought about this, perhaps not. I owe it to them to think about it;
--I would love to never read again on this site "The answer is simple," or "There's only one direction." Untutored people write those things;
--I'm surprised at the reaction to the Topp comment. I found it witty, but not nearly the orgasm that many of you did. Perhaps that's because I never connected the end of the round with the end of life;
--I understand hizzoner's note on spending time with loved ones. Yeroner, please read the bits state above. You may see them after the round of golf!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 02:24:17 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ian Andrew

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2018, 07:53:42 PM »
Before anyone else dismisses the idea, I know of quite a few people, for various reasons, who have planned and played one last round. Mostly for physical reasons, but not all of them ...

I have said on record a number of times, my choice has always been Jasper Park.
I figure the answers are only interesting if we say why...

1. The Rocky Mountains of Canada are my favourite place to be.
2. The course is a Stanley Thompson. He is my inspiration and this was his first great work. The golf course remains largely intact.
3. It happens to have the best set of par threes in Canada (my opinion - don't care if you think differently)
4. It's very wide and remains fun from start to finish (I have a history of playing exceptional well there)
5. My wife insisted I go play it the very first day we were married.

With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Steve Lang

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2018, 11:34:27 AM »
 8)  perhaps better to just fill some divots with them ashes.. or put me along the continental divide so i can wash down slope east and west..

I'm going for last loop at Ottawa Park in Toledo, exploits there I've mentioned before, known as The Country Club by many of the 1960's "before 10 AM kids!"  ;D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 10:25:36 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

BHoover

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2018, 11:57:55 AM »
Was the ending scene of “The Legend of Bagger Vance” supposed to be interpreted as Hardy (Jack Lemmon) playing his final hole as Bagger Vance reappeared to bring him home?

J_ Crisham

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2018, 01:50:14 PM »
Beverly- in fact I know where my ashes are to be spread......

Bob Montle

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2018, 03:01:03 PM »
Ron,

I misinterpreted (try to spell quickly without thinking!) your posting as asking if I was limited to one course from now on, what would it be.

After much deliberation, my answer is

Fraserburgh

Because walking there is as close to heaven as I can imagine.
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

MCirba

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2018, 03:30:18 PM »
I tell people that if I had one last day on earth I'd go to Sand Hills, but I'm really not sure that's true.   I think I just say that because most people who ask expect to hear Augusta, or Pebble Beach or some other very famous course and most of them don't have any idea what or where Sand Hills is.

I'd probably go to Brigantine Golf Links in southern NJ.   It was the site of impossibly glorious memories of golf played with my dad and two brothers during our annual summer vacations during my teen years.   We'd arrive at the crack of dawn and try to get in 36 holes before joining my mom and grand mom on the beach later in the afternoon.   There is no way for me to architecturally evaluate that Stiles & Van Kleek course as I'd be totally biased.

To paraphrase Terrence Mann, the memories are so thick I try to brush them away from my face.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 04:29:43 PM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2018, 04:21:38 PM »
This thread reminds me of the story told in recent years about the last time Ben Hogan hit a golf shot -- he took 3 golf balls and a persimmon driver to his favourite spot at Shady Oaks, teed each ball up slowly and methodically, went through his usual pre-shot routine, and hit each drive well out there and on the (preferred) right side of fairway. And then he looked out for a moment, and turned and walked away. The fellow who tells the story says that, after Mr. Hogan left, he went out to that fairway, and there they were: three golf balls, all about 250 yards out and so close together you could lay a blanket over them. Maybe because, like anyone who knows about it, I've always had a heartache imagining little Ben on the day his father committed suicide; and maybe because I imagine him years later trudging up the fairways at Carnoustie in the wind and rain and on tightly bandaged legs -- but it is very gratifying to believe/hope that Mr. Hogan found his peace, and found his closure, and was able to say an unconditional 'yes' to his life right then and there, holding a golf club that bore his name, in his home state of Texas, with three last perfect drives that he thought no one else could see, on a day that was so close to the end of all things.       

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2018, 04:39:41 PM »
Beverly- in fact I know where my ashes are to be spread......

Be careful with that, a Phiily course is currently disturbing two of my buddies with their restoration work. So where I put them might not be where they end up.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2018, 07:40:10 PM »
This thread reminds me of the story told in recent years about the last time Ben Hogan hit a golf shot -- he took 3 golf balls and a persimmon driver to his favourite spot at Shady Oaks, teed each ball up slowly and methodically, went through his usual pre-shot routine, and hit each drive well out there and on the (preferred) right side of fairway. And then he looked out for a moment, and turned and walked away. The fellow who tells the story says that, after Mr. Hogan left, he went out to that fairway, and there they were: three golf balls, all about 250 yards out and so close together you could lay a blanket over them. Maybe because, like anyone who knows about it, I've always had a heartache imagining little Ben on the day his father committed suicide; and maybe because I imagine him years later trudging up the fairways at Carnoustie in the wind and rain and on tightly bandaged legs -- but it is very gratifying to believe/hope that Mr. Hogan found his peace, and found his closure, and was able to say an unconditional 'yes' to his life right then and there, holding a golf club that bore his name, in his home state of Texas, with three last perfect drives that he thought no one else could see, on a day that was so close to the end of all things.     

Peter,

I too have read that story about Mr. Hogan. I am begging the historians on this site not to unearth a newspaper clipping, letter, or even scribbling on a napkin that would call the story into question. Mr. Hogan deserves no less than for it to be true forever.

Ira

Jud_T

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2018, 08:05:08 AM »
Prestwick, with my trusty southpaw Tom Stewarts...

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

George Pazin

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2018, 01:34:55 PM »
1) Wolf Point with Mike and Don

2) Barnbougle with Greg, Tom and Mike

Beyond those, Sheep Ranch, The Loop, Cabot with Ran and Ben all merit consideration.

I just hope a few of those happen someday. If some or all did, then I'd probably opt for a last round at my home course, North Park GC, a muni here north of the Burgh.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

MCirba

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2018, 12:00:36 PM »
George Pazin,

Are you aware that North Park was designed by Emil Loeffler/John McGlynn with some input from William Fownes of Oakmont. (see the South Park thread on this page for more info)

Pretty nice pedigree.  ;D
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

John McCarthy

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2018, 06:41:19 PM »
By legend, Chick Evans supposedly birdie his last golf hole, 9 at Butler National, in his late 80s.  That hole is no joke.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Doug Lionberger

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2018, 08:50:54 PM »
I’d play Champions - Cypress Creek.  It was the place where a friends dad introduced me to golf by taking us to watch the 1997 Tour Championship, my home course and the place I first played golf with my son.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2018, 10:17:17 PM »
I hope I'm a decrepit old man who can only hit the ball a 100 yards and I have to play from in front of the forward tees when that day comes but if I had to pick a course it would probably be Lahinch. You then could put me in the wheelchair and roll me to O'Looneys for a pint.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2018, 04:52:56 PM »
Split me in half:

• 1/2 of me gets dumped on Torrey Pines - 1/2 on #3 South & the other 1/2 on #15 North
  • 1/2 Kapalua
I'll enjoy the view for quite some time and have lots of company & visitors.

James Brown

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2018, 08:45:14 PM »
The Old Course in early September in mild winds that follow me around the course.  A chip and a put for birdie and drop dead on the steps of the the R+A at a hefty age with a smile on my face. 

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2018, 11:52:53 AM »

That is a lot of halfs.

Split me in half:

• 1/2 of me gets dumped on Torrey Pines - 1/2 on #3 South & the other 1/2 on #15 North
  • 1/2 Kapalua
I'll enjoy the view for quite some time and have lots of company & visitors.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2018, 06:29:39 AM »
Royal Melbourne West,

as i am getting close to my half century and having had involvement with RM from the age of 15, spent 7 years as trainee / assistant pro and played hundreds of rounds if and when I come to playing my last round the west course would be ideal

having said that the club i would join for my twilight years in golf would be sorrento, very playable into your twilight years

Jeff Schley

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2018, 07:19:27 AM »
Where doesn't matter nearly as much as with who to me.  I would love to have it with my dad and brother, but I hope I'm around for a long time.  The location would be Innwood Golf Course in Joliet, Ill. where I grew up and my dad still works part time for the last 40 years.  Easy muni, but has special significance to me as it was the only course I ever played until I was in college.

Godspeed to us all, as we enjoy our lives for whatever time we may have.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Bruce Katona

« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2018, 09:24:27 AM »

Ron:

1/2 Kapalua
1/2 Torrey.....I couldn't decide on North or South so that half will need to get divided in two. 

Put me in with the divot mix and it will be easy to shake me out.

James Reader

Greg Smith

« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2018, 10:28:40 AM »
I would have to select Yeamans Hall, for a number of reasons:

1)  That place is very focused on an overall, low-key, perfect experience and ambiance.

2)  I am a big fan of Seth Raynor, and Yeamans just has to be the best presented/restored of Raynor's works.

3)  It's in the Low Country, which means a course that is flattish and easy to walk for an old man, which I assume I would be at the time.

4)  It's in the Low Country, which means the climate will be a bit warmer and probably acceptable to old bones at any time of year.

I just don't think you can do better than YH from and experiential standpoint.  Many other wonderful places (Merion, PV, Augusta, etc) are equally awesome, but also more publicized/closed/mysterious/overblown, which might interfere with the bittersweet happiness of the day.

Cypress Point would be serious competition for Yeamans Hall though.
O fools!  who drudge from morn til night
And dream your way of life is wise,
Come hither!  prove a happier plight,
The golfer lives in Paradise!                      

John Somerville, The Ballade of the Links at Rye (1898)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back