News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Johnson

Re: The definitions of fun and hard
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 04:58:26 PM »
Mark Johnson,

I would love you to flesh out the examples, since I have played most of the courses on the list and generally agree.  What is your handicap and how do you get there? (i.e. accuracy, length, finesse in putting/chipping?)  Obviously, I am most interested in your take on the Quarry!

A friend defines the difference between fun and hard as:

Fun = a course where you shoot close to your normal score, or exceed it slightly
Hard = a course where you exceed your normal score, sometimes by a lot!

Jeff,

when healthy, i generally range between a 3 and 6.   A bit more than that now because I am recovering from some shoulder issues.    In terms of my game, my strength is short irons, chipping and sand play.   Weaknesses are accuracy off the tee and lag putting.   I would probably be long by GCA standards (though I am usually 30 yards behind most of the people I play with),  decent drive is usually 280, 3-wood 255.

In my definitition, I view fun courses as ones which either 1) have holes which are atypical,  2) have multiple options, or offer chances for scoring.   I think most people's fun course list will likely include alot of half-par holes.    For instance, I think the #3s at quarrey is a great example of this.

For hard courses,  i am calling out courses that are 1) unforgiving and 2) really dont give you any breather holes.    going back to the 3rd hole example, if you want to make his a hard hole as well,  you could shave the collection area to the side of the green and bring the quarrey more into play.

In fairness to a few courses on the lists (including quarrey), I think alot of my opions comes from course set up as much as it does from architecture.     Understanding that the quarrey is a resort course, it can't be set up the same way a private club is.  (slightly slower greens,   less penal rough, wider fairways, etc.)   I think if i were to add 10 more fun not hard courses,  a majority of them would likely be resort courses as well.

Adam Clayman

Re: The definitions of fun and hard
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 06:48:18 AM »
The tilt of the green or its moulding, the undulations here and there, the position of the bunkers, the openings for certain shots--these are the methods an architect uses to present the problems. Simply to make holes difficult to play is not at all the point. That would be an easy matter, and unfortunately it is too frequently done by the inexperienced. ROBERT HUNTER
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back