News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Kelly

Organic Golf
« on: August 17, 2010, 03:51:50 PM »
I'm wondering, first, if this is an accurate claim -- from The New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/17/sports/golf/17vineyard.html?src=un&feedurl=http%3A%2F%2Fjson8.nytimes.com%2Fpages%2Fsports%2Fgolf%2Findex.jsonp), about the Vineyard Golf Club on Martha's Vineyard: "Opened eight years ago, the club is thought to be the only completely organic golf course in the United States, its 18 holes groomed without the use of a single synthetic pesticide, fertilizer, herbicide or other artificial chemical treatment."

I'm wondering, second: Whether that's a true or false claim ... how feasible is Organic Golf Course Management, in various parts of the country? What are the costs? What are the benefits?

Is Organic Golf Course Management the future?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Richard Choi

Re: Organic Golf
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 03:59:59 PM »

Dan Kelly

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 04:08:37 PM »
Dan, I call dibs...

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,45572.0/

You've got 'em.

I think I've got an insecticide around here somewhere that'll kill 'em.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Ian Larson

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 06:06:38 PM »
It is true and accurate. Its not going to be the future until the next generation of superintendents come through and its being lectured in the colleges. Sadly you just cant teach an old dog new tricks for the most part and theres nothing out there forcing supers to go more organic unless there is an environmentally sensitive issue with the site. Some of the old supers even think going organic is creating a larger carbon footprint for the operation.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 11:06:03 PM »
I’ve seen Jeff talk about Organic Golf. Everyone should.

The reason his course – Vineland Golf Club on Martha’s Vineyard, Mass – went this route was because there is only one single source aquifer on the island. While they felt they could “virtually guarantee the safety of the groundwater – 100% was not possible – and that was the standard required to approve the club. So they went organic. Jeff talked a lot about the trial and error that is still going on in order to maintain the organic commitment but also to keep a good healthy course.

Jeff said, “Our mantra is, we strive for excellent playability, but that doesn’t necessarily mean visual perfection”

Jeff talked about a few of the progressive techniques like using nematodes to deal with grubs – and mentioned that they get a lot of things to trial because of their unique position in the golf community. He was optimistic about the future mentioning how many companies are bringing organic products to the table to be ahead of the curve and to be ready for the foreseeable future.

The key he has found is cultural practices. He mentions they had to develop techniques to limit leaf wetness to deal with problems of fungus. This even includes the old fashioned technique of whisking the dew from the greens. He mentions that fungus has been his biggest battle for the last 6 years.

“When I started, it was the fungal diseases that were the most problematic. With our cultural practices and the organic fungicides that we use, the disease severity is a lot less than it was. We also think – not proven, total anecdotal – that there is some natural selection going on. We think the grasses are starting to adapt. It’s survival of the fittest – disease-resistant grasses occurring naturally.”

He mentions that weeds are still a problem and laments that if he could only use a couple of pre-emergent applications that issue would be gone. He mentions that there really isn’t an organic solution to this problem and ends up talking about a machine that literally applies boiling foam in a concentrated spot spray to kill the plant. The one thing that this points out about going organic is techniques like this – or hand picking which they have to do too - are very labour intensive compared to spraying applications.

Jeff mentioned that superintendents would go more organic if they knew their jobs were not linked to the current level of perfection. The level of expectation is extraordinary now and the organic movement is up against those expectations. One large issue that most superintendents bring up is the fear of losing their jobs because organic golf will not meet member’s expectations. As Jeff points out – they would be more organic already if they had some assurances.

I think there is a little context needed to understand that his circumstance plays a role in this too. This course is built on sand (excellent drainage), that has a clean water source (no complications of salt), it has a moderating maritime climate (this tends to suppress disease pressure), the grasses are new (selected for the situation and are still fairly pure), this is a high end club with a decent budget, and the golfers have no choice but to accept the conditions that he can present in the circumstance.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back