News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JLahrman

Re: GCA "Blank Stares"
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2009, 02:13:37 PM »
Well thats why i said I will almost always not drink it....agreed!!!  But I'd rather drink a nice heffeweizzen or an IPA when its hot out!! :)

I'm not a big IPA fan personally, probably the only genre of beer that I generally do not care for (yes, I said beer genre).

I do love a Weizen or Hefeweizen.  They are great if I'm just hot.  But if I'm hot AND thirsty, I'll take a nice cold Miller Lite.  Yellow Piss tastes terrible if you're having it with dinner on a cold winter day.  But when I'm hot and sweaty and just in off the course on a summer day...damn is it tasty.

Wine comes in red and white...but beer...a non-beer-drinking acquaintance of mine called beer "Bitter brown water".  BROWN?  Are there a thousand colors named brown???

Kalen Braley

« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2009, 02:19:20 PM »
Meanwhile someone like me and my beer snob buddies would not only not buy it, but usually won't even drink it when offered for free.  The best beers look and have the viscosity of used motor oil.... Dark, thick, chewey and just plain awesome.

Kalen, I think you need to have a Guinness at the turn next time you're enjoying a round in Houston in the middle of August.   :P

I am not saying you need to check a horse for diabetes and drink a Corona - try one of these:
http://www.saintarnold.com/beers/lawnmower.html

Jason,

Touche indeed...the dark beers certainly aren't very effective in hot summer months...but I did have a couple on my recent trip to Spokane anyways!   ;D

Thanks for the recommendation, always love trying new stuff that isn't advertised in the traditional manner, that is most beer commericals have nothing to do with the actual beer itself!!   ;)

Scott Warren

« Reply #102 on: August 25, 2009, 02:19:27 PM »

Garland puts red wine in the refrigerator.

Anthony

There's actually some method to that if you live in a crazy hot climate where you get 35+ Celsius days regularly. In the terroirs where most wine is produced, "room temperature" doesn't mean 30+ all that often, so a short stint in the fridge before it's decanted can be great for the wine.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2009, 02:19:45 PM »
My father is fond of saying "We're all ignorant - just about different things."  

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Kalen Braley

« Reply #104 on: August 25, 2009, 02:26:43 PM »
I should also note....so it can be said that I'm not missing the point.

Even though I disapprove of your yellow beer swilling, it doesn't mean I won't play a bit of gawf with you and have a few laughs all the same!!   ;D  ;D

Just like golf, there is definitly a big world theory to beer too!!   ;)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #105 on: August 25, 2009, 02:32:51 PM »

Garland puts red wine in the refrigerator.

Anthony

There's actually some method to that if you live in a crazy hot climate where you get 35+ Celsius days regularly. In the terroirs where most wine is produced, "room temperature" doesn't mean 30+ all that often, so a short stint in the fridge before it's decanted can be great for the wine.

And good beers, espeically lighter beers like IPAs, heffe's, Pale Ales need to be refreigerated as well.  The darker beers can be simply cellared or kept in a dark, cool spot in the house. 

P.S.  I just drank a beer with my buddy in Spokane that we had been aging for 8 years!!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #106 on: August 25, 2009, 02:37:52 PM »
Kalen,

Dark and chewy beer is delicious.

But after walking 18 holes on a 90 degree day, there is nothing better than a nice cold bottle of Yellow Piss.  It has its place.

Au Contraire, my fine friend. A nice Old Tom Morris easily tops that with the best of both worlds. All the thirst quenching of the Yellow Piss plus all the dark and chewyness.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2009, 02:41:30 PM »

Sean Arble thinks Anthony Gray posts something honest more than 5% of the time.

Bill McBride
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Brad Wilbur

« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2009, 02:49:03 PM »
"Crystal Downs"

My favorite OT reference to people knowing something about a subject, but not really, is a lady that came to my office a couple weeks ago with a book about Frank Lloyd Wright.  I like to talk with people about what they're reading, so I asked her if she liked his architecture.  She replied yes, so I told her how excited I was about seeing Fallingwater this summer.  I almost fell off my chair at her "Blank Stare."  Even with prodding and descriptions, she had no clue.

JLahrman

« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2009, 02:51:49 PM »
Au Contraire, my fine friend. A nice Old Tom Morris easily tops that with the best of both worlds. All the thirst quenching of the Yellow Piss plus all the dark and chewyness.

Thanks, I will put it on the list.  I take much the same approach to beer that I do to golf courses - I will try anything once.

Thanks Brad for getting us back on topic.  If we start listing our favorite beers this will wind up rivalling the Merion threads for length.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2009, 02:52:35 PM »
"Crystal Downs"

They race horses there in the Michigan Derby. Don't they?

Scott Warren

« Reply #111 on: August 25, 2009, 02:53:45 PM »
Y'all got Hoegaarden in the US of A?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #112 on: August 25, 2009, 03:00:25 PM »

Indeed we do...they make a few decent beers!!  But most of thier offerings are middle tier stuff at best though they make a pretty good Belgian White.

http://www.ratebeer.com/brewers//brouwerij-hoegaarden-40inbev41/73/

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #113 on: August 25, 2009, 03:04:23 PM »
Nirvana:  A superintendant that "gets" GCA.
Double Nirvana:  A superintendant that gets GCA and has a good working relationship with the course's architect.

Scott Warren

« Reply #114 on: August 25, 2009, 03:06:22 PM »

Indeed we do...they make a few decent beers!!  But most of thier offerings are middle tier stuff at best though they make a pretty good Belgian White.

http://www.ratebeer.com/brewers//brouwerij-hoegaarden-40inbev41/73/

The white beer is awesome. How about Leffe?

JLahrman

« Reply #115 on: August 25, 2009, 03:07:22 PM »
Leffe is a little tricky to find depending on where you are, but yes it is available and it is delicious.

JMEvensky

« Reply #116 on: August 25, 2009, 03:11:51 PM »
Double Nirvana:  A superintendant that gets GCA and has a good working relationship with the course's architect.

Quadruple Nirvana : yours above plus the ability to tell the slow children to GTFO of maintenance decisions.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2009, 03:14:08 PM »

Quadruple Nirvana : yours above plus the ability to tell the slow children to GTFO of maintenance decisions.

That would be triple Nirvana JM,

Unless telling the slow kids off is worth 2 Nirvanas..   ;D

Tim Pitner

« Reply #118 on: August 25, 2009, 03:16:07 PM »
Kalen,

I'm no stranger to darker beers, but I've come to re-appreciate the pilsner; in many ways, a clean, crisp and flavorful pilsner (not Bud or Miller) is the hardest beer to make--the darker beers will more easily mask imperfections.  Lots of German, Czech and other continental folks view pilsner as the higest expression of beer and I can't say they're wrong (although, at certain times, nothing beats a Guinness).  

JMEvensky

« Reply #119 on: August 25, 2009, 03:17:10 PM »

That would be triple Nirvana JM,

Unless telling the slow kids off is worth 2 Nirvanas..   ;D

My bad,I thought we were progressing geometrically.That said,it is.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #120 on: August 25, 2009, 03:19:08 PM »
Dr Mackenzie and Donald Ross......ANY MORE NEED TO BE SAID?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #121 on: August 25, 2009, 03:29:53 PM »
Tim and Dave,

1st and foremost, thanks for the high comedy with that scintillating beer analysis...rest assured don't quit your day jobs.   :D

Secondly, Pilsner the hardest beer to make?  I can't even respond to this one I'm laughing so hard.  Its not much different than turning on your tap, throwing in a kool-aid packet and you're done!

And lastly, if you guys think Guiness and Sam Adams are "da bomb" then thats all I really need to know.  Both of these beers are middle tier at best, but they sure know how to advertise don't they.  ;D  ;D

If i had to put it in GCA.com terms....  Sam Adams is Pelican Hill and Guiness is Sand Pines
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 03:31:58 PM by Kalen Braley »

Jason McNamara

« Reply #122 on: August 25, 2009, 03:33:15 PM »
That's a good point, Tim.  And it's accentuated by the fact that Sam Adams (which makes a pretty darn good version of just about every beer varietal) doesn't even try to make a pilsner.  

Not true!  But they did screw up the name.

They called it a Bohemian Pilsner, which is redundant.  Pils(e)ners are named for Pilsen, aka Plzen, a town in (ahem) Bohemia.

Hoegaarden and Abbaye de Leffe here, Corsendonk as well.  (Houston summer is designed for Belgian beer.)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #123 on: August 25, 2009, 03:34:57 PM »

... the fact that Sam Adams (which makes a pretty darn good version of just about every beer varietal) doesn't even try to make a pilsner.  

Au Contraire my dear friend. You forget Samuel Adams Imperial Pilsner Harvest '05.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 03:37:37 PM by Bayley R. Garland »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #124 on: August 25, 2009, 03:36:18 PM »
burn

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back