News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

The Age of Mass Popularity
« on: June 28, 2008, 11:18:59 PM »
Every new art form or human endeavor has a stage where it reaches critical mass, or mass popularity, or common, majority acceptance.

So it was with golf and golf course architecture after the end of World War II.

With the genius of the GI Bill and the creation of the first Middle Class ever in the United States, suddenly the gap between the pursuits of the wealthiest land-owners and the rest of us closed a tweak, and for a brief shining moment we were probably as close to a wealthy egalitarian society in the 1950s and 1960s as was ever attained by any nation in the history of the world.

During that time, everyman players like Arnold Palmer and Gary Player and the rising ubiquity of television brought golf to a whole new generation who saw in the game the type of rugged individualism and dynamic heroics that most previously only found on the baseball diamond or football gridiron.    It certainly helped that great men of vitality and machismo from other sports, such as former boxing champion and US Serviceman Joe Louis seemed to spend many of their free hours on the golfing links.

Suddenly, demand far exceeded supply.

Into that void stepped any number of US architects, and while men like Robert Trent Jones Sr. and Dick Wilson are derided a bit now as being the "Howard Johnson's" of golf, they build HUNDREDS of golf courses across the land at the time it was needed most.

In their steps were the Ed Ault's, and the William Bell's and the William and David Gordon's and another twenty or so of their ilk, each largely geographically localized, but each building courses that were sound, efficient, and sustainable.

Each of these men, instead of creating the latest Southampton, or West Palm Beach, instead created hundreds of little Levittowns across the landscape...courses that brought thousands and thousands of the new middle class into a great game formerly affordable only to the wealthiest 2% of the US population.   

It's interesting that we can sit here today and roll our eyes and deride their efforts, and wish for a time when every course built had the cache and artistry of a Cypress Point, or the strategic flexibility of an Augusta, or the character of a Merion, or the brilliance of a Pine Valley, yet in our reach for elevating and stratifying only the highest creative pinnacle of what the game has ever produced, I'm afraid that we might once again become some tiny, self-referential, and ultimately irrelevant minority holding onto the crusty bones of some former time we seemingly all relate to but which few of us have actually lived in.

The truth of the dyamics and realities of modern demographics and economics is that for golf to prosper, the golf courses of the future need to have more in common with Torrey Pines and Mount Pleasant, and Bayou Oaks, and Bonneville, and farmland tracks in Iowa and urban tracks like Cobb's Creek than with Sebonack or Sand Hills.

The former models are relevant and prudently pragmatic;   the latter are ultimately our last bastions of escape to a different, romanticized time.

The only relevant model for golf in the 21st century, if we are to go back and learn any real vital lessons of the past, is to create vibrant, playable, affordable courses, right within the urban, population centers, that are available to both the King and the candle-maker, the lord and the serf, and peoples of all races and creeds...and to remember that in the simplest, most relevant, and most sustainable parameters, golf really needs to paradoxically be the most simple and most complex, and the most affordable and richest game all at the same time.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 11:28:09 PM by MikeCirba »

Tim Nugent

Re: The Age of Mass Popularity
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 11:40:54 PM »
Well said.  Too bad golf design has taken on a celebrity status.  Each trying to out do the other - this goes double for developers.  Ironically, outside of the likes of those who turn in here, it's not that important.  The last time my daughter and I teed it up at our little nine-holer, we joined a couple gentlemen on the 1st tee.  Turns out they were a pair of Northshore Chicago heart doc's.  (One got paged on the 8th tee for surgery but said "can't do anything until the team arrives" so he finished the last 2 holes, got in his Porsche and left after having a great time with his buddy). Just goes to show.
Coasting is a downhill process

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 06:36:52 AM »

The only relevant model for golf in the 21st century, if we are to go back and learn any real vital lessons of the past, is to create vibrant, playable, affordable courses, right within the urban, population centers, that are available to both the King and the candle-maker, the lord and the serf, and peoples of all races and creeds...and to remember that in the simplest, most relevant, and most sustainable parameters, golf really needs to paradoxically be the most simple and most complex, and the most affordable and richest game all at the same time.

Mike,

This has all the possibilities of making you the Robert Moses of golf!! Let's replace the people of North Philly with a golf course? Can't be done and you by the way are part of the problem. What town did you grow up in Upstate, and where do you live now that contributes to the creeping crawl of suburban Philly?

I grew up playing Cobbs and Walnut Lane, taking the bus to WL on occasion from Bala Cynwyd shopping center. I am guessing all that infrastructure is still there. My Dad did not play, but my buddies whose fathers did play got me into the game my freshman year of high school. I am probably pretty rare of our generation to learn at that age without a parent who played. My son plays "vacation golf" with me, but he is not going to say on his own "hey let's go play some golf", but he will with other sports.

If you want to grow the game, you have to tap into kids, women, minorities and immigrants and you have to market places like Mosholu to them and make them feel comfortable there and when they want to move up to full 18 hole courses.

http://www.golfinnyc.com/bronx_golf_courses/mosholu_gc/mosholu_golf_course.php

Restoring Cobbs to its former Flynnish glory is a noble cause, but it does nothing to grow the game to the groups I outlined above.

As a consumer, I have to be honest, I like an empty golf course.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 06:47:26 AM by Mike Sweeney »

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 08:19:07 AM »
Mike:

I think one of the downside of that era you call the Age of Mass Popularity and the architects who supplied it is they just got into some serious mass-production and with the onset of vastly improved construction machinery a lot of courses came off the boards with a certain sameness to them.

It shouldn't be lost on us in that vein that the majority of today's architects who seem to be popular with this crowd are back to low production from which they don't seem to want to vary.

I think mass production architects vs the ones who concentrate on only a few at a time is a reality of interest and quality that golf architecture will always be saddled with. In other words, time on site is probably the most important factor, and probably always will be.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 09:15:10 AM »
Tom,

Is it the difference between custom cars and 50,000 solid black Model T's rolling off an assembly line?

We tend not to think it about GCA in terms of pure crass consumerism, but I'm not sure how the game would have exploded in popularity during the 50s/60s without the subsequent streamlined rollout of courses to meet the burgeoning demand at the time.

It seems like it was about as good a case for watching successful capitalism in action as one could find.   While there was certainly a "sameness", it was also somewhat brilliantly marketed as a "signature".   

Mike,

I wholly agree with you.   The key is to increase community involvement.   A restoration would simply be the vehicle to drive attention and resources.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 09:17:27 AM by MikeCirba »

JeffTodd

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 09:44:43 AM »
Bravo! Can I get a shout out for Hal Purdy? ;D

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 10:09:57 AM »

You go, Hal...   ;D   

Actually, Jeff...I've played about a dozen of the late Mr. Purdy's designs, Sunset Valley in northern NJ being probably my favorite.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 10:43:58 AM »
Mike..extremely well put.  The price of golf has become exorbitant.  There is no better example than the Pound Ridge thread.  My only disagreement is that it is unrealistic to build courses in populated, urban centers given the price of land without government providing the land.  That would be wonderful but when the land is worth so much can our cities afford to use it for golf courses? 

I might also add that one of my reasons for deep admiration for Geoffrey Cornish is his building of courses for "the masses" and his dedication to public affordable golf.  Brian Silva gets little mention here but he has followed Mr. Cornish's lead admirably.  While he does some high end private courses, Mr. Silva continues to build affordable golf courses, at least in New England.  As a non private club member my thanks go to all that build decent courses that are affordable.

JeffTodd

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 10:58:19 AM »

You go, Hal...   ;D   

Actually, Jeff...I've played about a dozen of the late Mr. Purdy's designs, Sunset Valley in northern NJ being probably my favorite.

I and my friends learned to play on a Hal Purdy muni called Bey Lea Golf Course near the Jersey shore, so my "shout out" was from the heart. It was $3 for students to play, and we figured if we could get in 54 holes it would really pay off with some value.

To this day we lovingly call it the "Hal Purdy Gem", or "HPG" for short. It has all the charm of a driving range, or nuclear bomb proving ground, but it is special to me and I play it at least once a year.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 11:00:22 AM by JeffTodd »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 01:36:57 PM »
In my view, this is nothing more than an extension of an overview of our socio-economic condition in general, and a study in parallel to how our condition has evolved. 

Mike points to the mass popularity for a period of time, after WWII and how it was a time of growth of the recreational opportunities, mass production of golf, aimed at the wider segment of the public.  All of us boomers seem to remember riding a bike or taking a bus to play at a local muni, or daily fee.  Those courses were largely 9 holer or 18 built before WWII, or many WPA projects, or even earlier courses that somehow survived the depression.  The demand for recreation became greater, and more egalitarian as the people came out of the war and depression, with values of everyone trying to enjoy a balance of work and leisure life that they all had a sense of entitlement or that they deserved for just surviving those horrible times only 15 or < years previous, (if you use 1948-60 as the window)  Those people were much more interested to enjoy their modest but cherished middle class activities together.  Mass media marketting has redefined our distinctions, discriminations, and expectations to not see ourselves in as equal of terms, including how and who we recreate with.

The same thing happened to golf as happened in neighborhoods (quality and style of housing) work life, home life, and such.  WE ABANDONED OUR OWN PARENTS VALUES!  Our parents were just happy with the modest cape cod, three bedroom 1 - 1 1/2 bath, urban or suburban home.  They weren't yet under the spell of intense marketting to redefine what they liked.  We (the younger generation) needed more because we were marketted to more intensely, until we got to the McMansion era of today.  Our parents were happy with a nice muni to take the kids to learn, enjoy the weekend game with the buddies, and not need the big extravagant CCFAD experience.  Our parents were happy with the wife not NEEDING to work at all or full time, to sustain the lifestyle of that middle class environment of the 50s-60s (that seemed like heaven to those depression and war survivors)  We are now chided to work harder, and spend more intensely, not settle for less.  Thus, we have some getting more, and more getting less.

But now, we see those that hang on to a middle class lifestyle, having both parents work F.T., take mortgages out that would make our parents faint, pine for the McMansion developments, acquire the vacation homes, yet have so little time to actually enjoy them.  And, we see less and less people ABLE to afford that shrinking middle class lifestyle that in the golf arena includes expectations for CCFAD style more than affordable muni or daily fee courses.  Marketting has fooled people to play less often (also not enough time to play more) but at very expensive show venues, not so much play regularly with buddies and family at the understated muni. 

Why is it so puzzling to many that golf is shrinking in this regard, when the lifestyle of the middle class is shrinking in leisure time, time available, and feweer numbers in the middle class going up, and more sliding down for a variety of reasons, all seem related to a Darwinian capitalistic model marketted to us constantly? 

To me, it is a no-brainer.  Golf will continue to shrink as a mass popularity proposition, and will become more elitist, as long as the middle class are under assault and under intense commercial and political-economic marketting as to what socio-economic conditions and factors defines our values. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back