News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

Eden Holes
« on: October 10, 2006, 09:03:07 AM »
Can anyone help me find a good link about Eden holes? I think I've seen it on this site but I can't find it.

Bill Brightly

Re:Eden Holes
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 10:21:57 AM »
From the picture on this website, the 5th at Carmargo is beautiful, altough I've never played it.

BCrosby

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 10:56:37 AM »
I agree with redanman. There aren't many knock-offs that come close to the original.

More than the bunkers, contouring is what makes the 11th at TOC. That's also probably why it's so hard to build a good copy. (Yeaman's is pretty good, though.)

Knock-offs can't replicate the knob that the original green sits on and the deep swale around it. The green is really perched up there. Strath bunker is set into a very steep incline. There is a major fall off behind the green as well.

Bob
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 11:57:10 AM by BCrosby »

Bill Brightly

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 04:52:59 PM »
bump

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 05:08:41 PM »
I do think we've got a superb site for an Eden hole on the property in Bandon for Old Macdonald.  The green site was buried under gorse and we'd just drawn a vague routing, and when we cleared the gorse away, there it was just sitting right up for us.

It will be the second hole and I wish it came a bit later in the round, but I think it's too good of a setting to pass it up.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 05:39:31 PM »
Bill,

Not sure about the link to which you refer; however, the description on the Links Trust's website includes the graphics from "Experience the Old Course."

I find it quite useful:
http://tinyurl.com/34ldpc

Cheers
Mark

Rich Goodale

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 11:19:50 PM »
Thanks for pointing this out, Mark.  It's good to see that the Link Trust is finally doing a little bit of promotion for the book!

TEPaul

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 07:38:54 AM »
I think some of the Eden at NGLA is excellent.

The green sits on a pretty good rise in relation to what's between the green and the tee and the green has a lot of back to front tilt that just brings everything at the front of the green into real strategic function (eg particularly the very deep Strath bunker and the steep incline up to the green front).

What NGLA's Eden does not have is what's sometimes called it's "situation" in GB. In other words, it has a very bland backdrop compared to what the original Eden hole has.

Other of Macdonald/Raynor Eden holes on Long Island such as Piping Rock (#11) and The Creek (#4) are really bland topographically. Macdonald/Raynor probably just shouldn't have referred to the latter two as "Edens".

JSPayne

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 10:06:02 AM »
Allister McKenzie's attempt at an Eden Hole at Meadow Club (Mike DeVries rennovation).

"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back