News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

What did it for you?
« on: March 08, 2005, 01:20:36 PM »
Been thinking on this topic lately...

What brought any of you into such a deep passion for Golf Architecture?

There is a lot to this game and most people don't get beyond simply trying to put the pill in the jar... but what was it that pushed you over the edge to realize that the places we were playing had allure and depth to them all their own?

For me, it was reading Brad Klein's Rough Meditations while on staff for a week long Boy Scout Junior Leadership course...

JakaB

Re:What did it for you?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 01:22:43 PM »
Kyle,

What is a deep passion for Golf Architecture...

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 01:24:04 PM »
To me, taking time out to post periodically (or obsessively) on a bulletin board devoted to the subject is passion enough for me.

THuckaby2

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 01:25:15 PM »
I've said many times that I don't HAVE a deep passion for golf course architecture.  I like to talk about golf courses, true, but to me architecture is just one component of the equation.

But I'll play along, especially based on the definition you just posted.  ;)

What got me into thinking about, reading about, seeking out, being fascinated by golf courses was the simple fact that each one is different.  I grew up playing a lot of tennis, and while a tennis match is always going to be unique based on how you are playing and how your opponent is, well... there isn't much variety in venue.  The simple fact that golf presents such infinite variety is what sealed my fate and made me a golfer and had me give up tennis pretty much forever.

BTW, this happened at about age 11.

;D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 01:25:51 PM by Tom Huckaby »

JESII

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 02:22:19 PM »
Kyle,

What is a deep passion for Golf Architecture...

600 posts in a month  ;D

Kyle Harris

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 02:24:53 PM »
JES II,

Sticks and stones...  :P  ;)

But yeah, I definately live for this stuff for some reason...

Not sure why or how, just do.

JESII

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 02:29:41 PM »
I'm with you Kyle, I just can't put my finger on the exact point as yet.

George Pazin

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 02:37:59 PM »
My interest in the subject grew out of my dream of having my own course someday. I started wondering why PV was always ranked number 1 and whether there was anything to learn from that. So I started reading architecture books. My first two were Geoff's The Captain and The Golden Age... If you can look at those books and not get fired up, then gca is not the field for you.

As for this site, where else can you can where you can get intellectual stimulation on everything from golf courses to babes at the Oscars, from munis to Ayn Rand, from the role of Mother Nature in design to the role of the showers at Merion - need I go on? :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

JESII

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 02:44:28 PM »

As for this site, where else can you can where you can get intellectual stimulation on everything from golf courses to babes at the Oscars, from munis to Ayn Rand, from the role of Mother Nature in design to the role of the showers at Merion - need I go on? :)

No

And I hate it when people answer my rhetorical questions as well.

Great post.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 02:50:33 PM »
So many potential starting points for the interest, but the moments of devine intervention, were two rounds within 6 weeks of eachother.
Firstly, my first round at Merion, in the mist..and being in somewhat of disbelief that a golf course could be such a wonderful place...
secondly, I returned home to play as many links courses as I could in  a two week span..and I fell in love with the courses that I used to take for granted..
I began to understand links golf..I guess I finally "got it".
From that I was able to appreciate other courses alot more and unfortuantely, become more critical of other poorer designs..critical to myself not publicly.

Thousands of hours of reading later and I realise I am still a golfer interested in design and with never enough knowledge to consider myself worthy of calling myself...one with knowledge of golf course architecture...that is why the guys with their names on the scorecard earn their pay..
My hat is off to all architects..your works are passions that I can only admire.

Ted Kramer

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2005, 02:56:38 PM »
The 11th hole at Lido.
It is far from a great hole but it is the first hole that really showed me a very good, relatively subtle, risk reward situation.

-400 yard par 4.
-2 fairway bunkers down the right side.
-Green angled sharply from front right to back left with a bunker guarding the entire length of the left side.
-The favored approach is from the right side which brings the bunkers into play.

There is nothing about the hole that would amaze anyone who was looking for genius GCA. But for me, as a rank beginner, that hole was the one that started to get me to really open up my eyes, look around, and think my way around the golf course.

-Ted

Mike Hendren

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2005, 03:13:10 PM »
I recall my mom taking me to the Okeena swimming pool in Dyersburg, Tennessee when I was 5+/- years old.   I remember playing in the sand.  I'm fairly sure it was a practice bunker at the adjacent Okeena Golf Course (NLE).  

Honest.

I was country when country wasn't cool.
-Barbara Mandrell

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mark Brown

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2005, 04:22:47 PM »
First walking the centerlines of Haig Point, which has a beautiful natural environment, with Rees Jones in about 1985. And what really got the fire going was spending 3 or 4 days at Sandhills just before it opened with Crenshaw, Coore, Doak and Dick Youngscap. I was in total awe of both the site, the company and the intriguing conversations.

I remember riding a Cushman up to one of the highest dunes near sunset with views that went forever. It was just an unbelievable feeling of awe, and I felt like a band of Indians on horseback and a herd of buffaloes were going to come rumbling over the crest of one of the massive dunes.

That pretty well did it.

PThomas

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2005, 04:34:49 PM »
some great posts on this alrady, and don't know if I can add anything new...

Huck's point about every course being different is important...reminds me of when Arnold says (I'm paraphrasing) that all courses are good....at a minimum they all provide a play...heck, we need more of those basic, inexpensive layouts these days

I'm really into golf history too, so when I played Pinehurst and Pebble -- what a cool feeling, knowing I played the same hole where Jack hit the 1-iron on 17, etc...

I REALLY enjoy holes with options, not just hit it down the middle and then on the green all the time.......I think its also cool to learn some of the architects' tricks like placing bunkers 20 yards short of the green v. right next to the green

and to be able to play a quality course for the first time:  my favorite pastime!

197 played, only 3 to go!!

Kyle Harris

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2005, 04:41:06 PM »
Paul,

The architectural tricks are probably what most got me into architecture. Just knowing that I could decipher a course by knowing the designer and their tendencies, and also some of the other clues and patterns that golf holes have, i.e. how to play a true redan.

As I am fond of saying, every good golf hole has a back way in, sometimes you just need to knock on the right door.

johnk

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2005, 04:49:52 PM »
I think Huck's answer is right, for most people on here.  Once you've played a round with Gib, you'll understand that you are likely not that deep on the architecture passion front.

:)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2005, 04:59:02 PM »
As I am fond of saying, every good golf hole has a back way in, sometimes you just need to knock on the right door.

Kyle, gotta love that quote...

Mark Brown, you were obviously hit by the tunderbolt in Hooker county! :o ;D 8)

As I have said many times over the years, a dear uncle/God Father, took me to Lawsonia a number of times as a young lad and pointed out the neat golf architecture features and would draw me into discussion of them.  He got me thinking about golf course design very young.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

mike_malone

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2005, 05:15:44 PM »
 One day I looked back and I had crossed the "Rubicon".

I grew up playing a club (DuPont) with four courses. The championship course was longer but the one across the street was "sporty"( my father's "word"--- I keep his "words " alive). Then ,once I could drive, I found the "gem "some 15 miles away. I was beginning to see differences; some courses hold your interest more than others.

When I lived in Vt. I was a member of a "Ross" course. That was good ,or so I was told. Members seemed proud of it, but I had no clue what it meant. Something about the greens.

When I joined a club near Philly, I wanted to make  sure the greens were interesting. The club was deciding  on a Master Plan.I became intrigued by the 1926 photos they had on a table. They got me to see what was and what could be. I guess they introduced me to "original intent".

When I decided I wanted to convince people to pursue the plan, I knew I would need to "commit" myself to the learning and political action processes. I,for one, don't commit unless I give myself over. Now there is no turning back.
AKA Mayday

Mark Brown

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2005, 05:20:59 PM »
I like golf architecture because it's like golf -- there's always more to learn. The subject is endless and everytime I play I notice something new and intriguing.

TEPaul

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2005, 05:23:55 PM »
I don't remember what brought on the passion but I knew I had it when I realized I actually stay on this website every day educating a bozo like Patrick Mucci!  

;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back