News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Is there a better finishing hole on the golf course ?
« on: February 26, 2004, 09:28:42 PM »
The discussion with Matt Ward, Geoff Childs and SPDB over BPB got me thinking about BPB and other golf courses.

SPDB mentioned the 8th hole and 18th hole at NGLA.
While I love the 18th hole at NGLA, for it's architecture and playability, I started thinking, would # 8 make a fantastic finishing hole as well ?

I then started thinking about BPB, Plainfield, Somerset and other courses, their finishing holes and other holes on those golf courses that might make for interesting, or better finishing holes.  Then I remembered the thread about ANGC starting at # 14 and finishing with # 13.

If you could reconfigure the order of play on any golf course, what hole would you like to see as the finishing hole ?
And WHY ?

I might reconsider the finishing hole at Bandon Dunes.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 09:29:43 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Tom_Doak

Re:Is there a better finishing hole on the golf course ?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 09:34:18 PM »
Pat:  I have two problems with your question.  The first is that I think the importance of the finishing hole is overblown by most people.  The second is that changing the order of holes might have other effects as well.

In the case of Bandon Dunes, David Kidd was adamant about having his golf course finish away from the ocean -- so that none of the holes would be wrecked by the road which would have had to get to the clubhouse, or by an ugly parking lot out in the open.  If he hadn't made this call, I am sure that the course as a whole would not have been as good ... and I don't understand what great benefit it would have received for calling a better hole the last.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004, 11:35:25 AM »
Tom Doak,

Let me address your point in the following manner.

I think that Somerset Hills would provide a much better finish if the nines were reversed.

Golf courses are made to be played on, with competition a key element.

It would seem to be preferable to have a finishing hole or holes where the golfer can't cruise or limp home, holes that require a reasonable or higher degree of challenge.

I understand your point about the location of the 18th hole at Bandon, my point, which I probably didn't express thoroughly, is that I think that both #9 and # 18 are weak finishing holes at Bandon.  I think both holes could have been made more architecturally challenging.

Look at # 18 at Pacific Dunes, especially from the high back tee.  Would you say that it's difficult to cruise or limp home on that hole, or # 17 ?  Or do you feel that both holes provide a substantive challenge for the golfer to finish the golf course ?

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2004, 11:53:10 AM »
Pat- Your premise discounts the "mind".

How many times have you golf in competition, only to come to 18, and on paper, the hole is not as challenging as you advocate above? Have you ever blown-up on one of those easy finishers that you shoulda limped home on?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 01:30:29 PM »
A Clayman,

Not that I can recall, but, my recall may still be under the influence of the anesthesia.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back