News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Parsons

Spanish Bay or Spyglass
« on: September 22, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
I only have time to play two courses at my business conference  and Pebble is one of them. Should I opt for Spanish Bay (I have heard good and bad reports) or Spyglass (everyone talks about how hard it is)? I am off 12.

Clark

Spanish Bay or Spyglass
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Definitely Spyglass.  It is difficult, but still very good.  At Spanish Bay you would waste all your time dropping ot of the protected sand dunes.  Spanish Bay is nice and more scenic, but you will wonder why you brought your driver (or any other wood).

DT

Spanish Bay or Spyglass
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
I vote for Spanish Bay. You can have a better time at there - the back nine at Spyglass is just OK, but both nines at Spanish are unique and different in a good sense.

Tom Naccarato

Spanish Bay or Spyglass
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
I say don't waste your time with both of those and go straight to Pacific Grove, at least for a late afternoon/early evening round that will have you jumping for joy at the revelation of the games simplicity.Go to Pacific Grove.Then dodge out of that ever so important business meeting or conference and drive 45 minutes north to Santa Cruz and play Pasatiempo.  David, this is a no brainer. Just do it!

John Morrissett

Spanish Bay or Spyglass
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Tom makes an excellent point -- if you have a car go play Pasatiempo (and if you don't have a car, rent one!).  It's better, more enjoyable and less expensive than the other two.

Matt Jones

Spanish Bay or Spyglass
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
I would agree with Tommy. By all means, play the back nine at Pacific Grove if you can. It's right next to Spanish Bay. I was there about six weeks ago and played Pac Grove and Spyglass on back to back days.Spyglass was set up for the Amateur and made for a long day (6-inch rough, lost balls just off the fairway, etc.)  It is a very solid golf course but I didn't find it to have much charm beyond #5.  It was just to tough.Pasatiempo is certaily well worth seeing as has been pointed out.

Ran Morrissett

Spanish Bay or Spyglass
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
You have to play Spyglass once because 1. the first five holes deserve it and 2. you will convince yourself you never need to play the next 13 holes ever again.

DBE

Spanish Bay or Spyglass
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Contact Ran, he can get you on CPC

Gib_Papazian

Spanish Bay or Spyglass
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Given the choice, Spanish Bay by a nose. Jones Jr's work is terribly underrated here and it is certainly the most difficult course on the Peninsula from the back tees with some wind.The only complaint I have is that the ogiginal fesque never took on the greens and sonme of the putting surface contours - notably the 2nd hole - are over the top. However, there is some wonderful golf out there if you have a taste for something original and daring. The 13th hole is only 120 yards, but I would have to say it is the most dangerous short par 3 I have ever played including #7 at pebble and the Postage Stamp at Troon.    

Mike Benham

Re:Spanish Bay or Spyglass
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 05:48:36 PM »
Since we haven't heard from Gib lately, and the Spanish Bay vs. Spyglass debate was renewed, here is an oldie ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tim Leahy

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 06:12:22 PM »
I only have time to play two courses at my business conference  and Pebble is one of them. Should I opt for Spanish Bay (I have heard good and bad reports) or Spyglass (everyone talks about how hard it is)? I am off 12.
If cost is not an option, then Spyglass or if you're a short hitter Spanish. Best less expensive option is Bayonet on the sunny side of Monterey Bay in Seaside. Very unique and a challenge from every set of tees. Great views of Monterey Bay.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 07:35:55 PM »
Spyglass without another thought.

Brian Marion

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2006, 09:30:34 PM »
Depends on what you want out of the round. If you want a stern test of your game, Spyglass. If you fancy a bit more scenery, Spanish Bay. SP also has the bagpiper at dusk, very cool.

redanman

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2006, 04:15:41 PM »
Jim Nantz just said that Spyglass is one of THE most under-rated courses in the country.

The battle is lost. It was once #10 on the GolfWeek modern top 100.  Under-rated?

More alcohol, stat.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 04:25:45 PM by redanmanŽ aka BillV »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2006, 04:18:39 PM »
Jim Nantz just said that Spyglass is one of THE[/i] most under-rated courses in the country.

The battle is lost. It was once #10 on the GolfWeek modern top 100.  Under-rated?

More alcohol, stat.

Jim Nantz is becoming the new king of hyperbole and overstated emotional drama.

He should be put into a dark room, his eyelids taped open, headphones blaring, and forced to watch and listen to Renton Laidlaw's European PGA broadcasts for a month non-stop.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 04:19:12 PM by Mike Cirba »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2006, 04:20:32 PM »
Spyglass without a doubt. As a matter of fact, the 1st 6 holes at Spyglass was the first time I saw something other than parkland golf, and it hooked me ever since.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

PThomas

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2006, 04:58:05 PM »
Bill V:  go get that drink now, and I'll reimburse you, or I owe ya one next time I see ya

I never thought Nantz was great anyway, and then today's utterance.... ???
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back