News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

The last six holes - why golf is the greatest game
« on: August 15, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
How exciting where the last six holes?? Like the course or not, the drama was sensational. Woods's expression of relief and exhaustion at the end was something I had never seen from him, and it certainly made me appreciate him more than the fist pumping action.The Nicklaus/Woods comparisons will heat up again. All I will say is this - can anyone remember Jack Nicklaus missing both par three greens on the back nine in the fourth round of any of his 140+ majors? I appreciate Woods' course management but Nicklaus was there and then some, I do believe.

Tony Dowling

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Don't rub it in - I went to work when Woods was five ahead and I missed everything. For me, I will always remember Tiger for what he did in the 1997 Australian Open at The Australian. He fired a 79 the first day in wind and rain and on the second day he fought and fought just to make the cut by one. Come Sunday, he was on the last page of the leaderboard when the tournie finished. His father was sick back home in the States and he could have easily mailed it in. But he didn't.

John Crowley

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Jack was in the top ten in 76 major tournaments, equivalent to all 4 majors for 19 years.  He was second 19 times and of course won 18 majors.  When Tiger gets within 50% of those numbers we may continue the discussion of greatness.  I predict Tiger will win the US Open only once.PS - US Open will be at Shinnecock in 2004.PSS - Ray Floyd shot 65 at Maidstone the day before I arrived.

Ted_Sturges

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
To continue the Tiger vs. Jack debate, I submit the following statistics on the golf career of another pretty good player.He entered 292 tournaments in his career.He finished in the top 10 241 times.He finished in the top 3 139 times.He won 63 PGA tournaments.Mr. Hogan might be the player Tiger should compare himself to.  

JohnV

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Jack Nicklaus won 20 majors, just ask him.  Given that, Tiger has won 5 so he is 25% of the way there.I don't think that Tiger is the one who brings up the comparisons, the media does and he has to respond to the questions.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back