News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brooks Nelson

Tom Doak's Interview
« on: July 04, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
I read with great interest your Doak interview. I have bought both his books and agree with 90% of what he says and am waiting for any updates he publishes. The biggest surprise in the interview was his five favourite links courses. He did not name Muirfield, Royal County Down, Royal St. Georges, Cruden Bay, Lytham, or Troon, all of which he gives higher marks to in his book than Macrihanish. I am not suprised in the least - IT IS GREAT TO SEE AN ARCHITECT REMOVE HIMSELF FRPOM THE NITTY-GRITTY AND LOOK AT A COURSE AS A WHOLE. Baeed on pure inspiration, Machrihanish deserves to be there.Good on ya, Tom.

Del Wood

Tom Doak's Interview
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Tom's greatest attribute as a course critic  is his consistency. In fact, after reviewing 800 courses, Doak is rarely able to surprise the reader because the reader understands what criteria Tom is employing in reviewing the courses.

Clark

Tom Doak's Interview
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
I agree -- Doak is right on the money so often (and he's about the only one out there not afriad to put down his opinion in writing).  What I don't understand is that his "favorite" courses don't always correspond to his grading scale.  To my way of thinking, you would rather play an "8" than a "7," but sometimes I wonder with Doak.  He sort of admits this in his "Gourmet Choice" section, but I'm still a bit puzzled.  

Clark

Tom Doak's Interview
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
When Doak states, in effect, that his two favorite current architects are partners and don't turn out much work, am I correct in assuming he means Coore and Crenshaw?  

Scott Kraus

Tom Doak's Interview
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
I am sure he meant Coore/Crenshaw - they are  the best going, so it makes sense.In terms of the questions, I thought his most revealing answer in was in regards to unpredictability - that modern designers rape the land and steal from it any quirkiness. I have always enjoyed finding and playing a Jack Nicklaus course. You are always trying to place the ball somewhere to accomplish something - everything is well thought out.And yet... something was missing, and know I think I know what - unpredicability. Too many level levels, too many clear views of the entire flag, etc. I am going to start looking to play Doak courses instead. He has done one in Evansville, so I'll start there.

AJB

Tom Doak's Interview
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
In the interview, Doak says the 4th at Cruden Bay in Scotland is among the six holes he wishes he could claim for his own design. I appreciate the view from the back markers is sensational but the hole itself seemed straightforward enough (ie only one way to play it). How he could pick it ahead of the 4th at National Golf Links Of America, with multiple ways to play it, is beyond me. And for a beauty contest, the 4th at County Down surely unsurpassed.

Sean H.

Tom Doak's Interview
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
I'm glad to hear someone shares similar views about Cruden Bay's 4th -- it's pretty and everything, but is it really that good (in terms of all-British Isles)?  Certainly not as good as the two holes AJB mentions.  I've heard that Tom Doak modeled a hole on one of his courses after this (don't know which course).  Why?  What is the architectural merit of it?  The tee and green were merely leveled off, and I don't remember that much going on around the green.

Ted_Sturges

Tom Doak's Interview
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
To Scott Kraus,You are correct that Mr. Doak has designed a course in Evansville, Indiana.  How close do you live to the course, and how soon do you plan to play there.  I have played many, many rounds there and I would be interested to hear your comments.  Make sure you grab a scorecard and check out the name of the 10th hole.  I think the best holes there are the "multiples of 4" holes (the 4th, 8th, 12th and 16th).  I also really like the 13th.

Sean H.

Tom Doak's Interview
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Will someone explain Doak's fascination with Rye GC?  It's good, but is it really that great?  I've played only one round there -- did I miss something?It has some very good holes, such as 4-7 and 13-16, 18, but the rest of the course is just fair.  It'll never win a prize for beauty.  I bet those of you who defend carnoustie are also admireres of Rye!  I can't help but think that much of its reputation is owed to the President's Putter.

Tony Dowling

Tom Doak's Interview
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
How Doak didn't list the green complexes at Royal Melbourne among the best in the world is a mystery to me. I haven't played his High Pointe course in the United States but... gimme a break.

Robert Ward

Tom Doak's Interview
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Tom Doak has three courses, all of which have just opened either this or last month. That is great news to have, as I've seen little about them elsewhere.However, I wish you would have also asked what other projects he is working on,  such as those  opening next year. That way, I can perhaps plan future trips better. I am sure other readers feel the same.

Ran Morrissett

Tom Doak's Interview
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Sean,You must have had either a horrible round or horrible weather at Rye - it is virtually the perfect links course! And I don't think the par threes (which even one dwells on) are perhaps as good as the collection of par fours. Hole after hole keeps coming after the golfer, which to my mind is unusually for a links course. I note you don't mention the tricky 9th - go back and give Rye another chance.

Jim Gift

Tom Doak's Interview
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
I wish you would ask Tom why he isn't more positive on his work on the Black Forest course at Wilderness Valley in northern Michigan. My golf group of 9 went to Northern Michigan last September and played six courses. Of them, 6 of the 9 of us thought Wilderness was the one we would most like to return to. The ragged bunkers and bizarro greens made the course stand apart. Tom Doak gives the Fazio course at Treetops a bigger rap, but we thought just the opposite.

James Clifford

Tom Doak's Interview
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
In the interview, you ask Doak his five favourite links courses. His responses are all in the UK. If you keeping asking that same question, sooner or later someone will answer that one of their favourite links courses is in Holland or Belgium or South Africa or New Zealand or Australia, etc. Also, is Shinnecock Hills on Long Island in the United States a links course? At least I think so.The UK isn't the only place with links golf available. I think we forget that point sometimes.

John Sessions

Tom Doak's Interview
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
I have worn out my copy of The Confidential Guide. Has a Part Two ever come out?Doak is bound to have seen another hundred courses, given how he moves around. Plus, for his own good, he could profile the three new ones that have just opened.

Clark

Tom Doak's Interview
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Just returned from a trip to northern MI, which included a round at Doak's Wilderness Valley but regrettably not High Pointe (don't get me started; I'm still upset at a certain person).  Anyway, I enjoyed Wilderness Valley tremendously and was curious to get home to re-read Doak's write-up of the course and his interview on this site.  My main surprises are that (1) he seems to be so down on the course in general and (2) his love affair with the 10th hole.  I just don't get the latter.  Yes, those two trees hold the interest for the first two shots, but the pitch is quite ordinary -- to a somewhat large, featureless, open green.  The only interest with the third shot was when I thinned it into the trees! What do the rest of you think of the 10th at WV?  There are a lot more holes on the course I would have singled out.

T. Doak eavesdropping

Tom Doak's Interview
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
For those of you interested, there probably won't be a new version of The Confidential Guide for a while -- I've been busy enough with work that I've only seen about 90 courses in the four years since its publication.However, starting with their October issue, I'm going to do one course review per month for ESQUIRE.  The first two will be Taconic and East Lake.I was too negative on Black Forest in the Guide.  Some of the best work I've done is there, but it's just so frustrating to think that if I'd just had someone put their hand on my shoulder at the right time to tone it down a bit, it might be considered the best course up here.Lost Dunes, Riverfront, and Apache Stronghold are all in my top five.This year we've been rebuilding Atlantic City CC from the ground up, and starting a 2-year project for the Village of Sands Point, NY.  Both are pretty good projects, but neither will make the top five creatively -- the clients wouldn't stand for it.  We'll also be building bunkers at Inwood and The Valley Club in the fall.Our project at Archerfield, Scotland, should be underway before Xmas.  The second course at Bandon Dunes will break ground next fall.  And unfortunately I don't have a timetable for the 27 holes we're contracted for south of Melbourne -- but it will be worth the wait.Also looking at possibilities in Indiana, Wisconsin and Michigan.  I suspect one of them will be on tap for next summer.

John Sessions

Tom Doak's Interview
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
When will the Archerfield, Scotland course open if all goes well? Is that a links course?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back