News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Keith Durrant

Albatross
« on: February 11, 2004, 07:33:46 AM »
I was lucky enough to recently shoot an Albatross 2, on my opening hole.  :D

Are there any organisations which recognise or celebrate Albatrosses or Double-Eagles in the same way that various hole-in-one "clubs" or registries exist?

e.g.

http://www.nationalholeinoneclub.org/

Paul_Turner

Re:Albatross
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 08:05:22 AM »
Brilliant, well done!

Polishing all those "Bright Carvings" must have brought some luck ;)
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 08:39:45 AM »
There's nothing I've ever been aware of that celebrates an albatross, other than the golfer! That's certainly recognizing, though, that the albatross is a lot rarer than the hole in one!

ForkaB

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004, 08:41:47 AM »
OK, Tom

I know you're dying to tell us......

How many albatrosses?  5? 6?

How many of these were NOT on #18 at Gulph Mills?

Existentially yours

Rich

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 09:07:45 AM »
There's an elderly Piasan who's just full of golf's spirit who hangs out at PG. He recalls his double eagles on #3 & #4 yet, he considers the par he made on the par 5 5th, with his second ball, to be the best stroke he ever made.

I know of no other recognizing body, than your own.

May he rest in peace, but a former Baseball player in the late 30's, Bob Loane, still holds the record (?) for 3 eagles in 9 holes. It was done in the 60's in San Ramone. He told the story how when visiting the pga headquaters in Florida, on the wall was his story of that fateful day. Of course, what made the story great was his final score. Nowhere near as low as you'd expect.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 09:09:54 AM by A_Clay_Man »

Brock Peyer

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 09:16:25 AM »
It must be a good feeling to be 3 under after 1!!!!

Congrats.

George_Bahto

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004, 09:50:32 AM »
a perfect time to walk off the course and never play golf again
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

TEPaul

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2004, 10:12:12 AM »
Rich:

Very clever of you! I wasn't planning on mentioning it but I once did have an albatross and it certainly was on GMGC's #18 (all 421 uphill par 5 yards of it guys!!)! I feel very proud of it too because in my entire life it's probably less than a dozen times I've even tried to hit a par 5 in two (including GMGC's #18!). How else do you think I got my reputation of being one of the best around at sneaking up on holes before they see me coming?  ;)  

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2004, 10:20:35 AM »
Here's a rather surprising feat (that some might be aware of). Not sure I can tell you the actual hole numbers but at Llanerch G.C just outside the city of Philadelphia Jay Sigel arrived on the tee of a rather short par 4 (but well over 300 yards) hit a driver at it and made a hole in one. On the following hole, a par 5, apparently he knocked his second on the green, sunk the putt and made eagle. That's pretty shocking! I don't know if anyone has ever gone 5 under par on two consecutive holes in golf's history. I'm fairly sure no one has ever topped that. Today a plaque rests on that short par 4 denoting Sigel's hole in one!

mike_malone

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2004, 11:53:38 AM »
 Tom
    I believe those are #13 and#14.He apparently birdied the par three#12 as well.The #13 is just beyond 300--not much.The #14 is now played as a par four.A 240 yard teeshot gets kicked some thirty yards further down the hill.I once played there with 2 good amateurs(Ray Thompson and Rob Savarese).They both hit 8 iron for their second shots on #14.
AKA Mayday

Mike Hendren

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2004, 04:03:32 PM »
As a teenager playing ALONE I holed a wedge from 100 yards out on the 370 yards 6th hole at Rolling Hills Country Club in Ripley, Tennessee.  The 7th is an uphill par four playing around 290 yards.  I drove the ball two feet from the hole (the one and only time I ever drove that green in probably 500 rounds) there and made the putt for a second consecutive eagle on a par four.  

I later learned through one of the golf publications that this was extremely rare, much to my surprise.  No witnesses, but at this point I could care less.  

Nowadays I'd settle for driving the ball 290 yards DOWNHILL.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2004, 09:25:06 PM »
Somewhere on a CBS tape of the LA Open held at the Riviera C.C., there was talk of a player having a fast start. One of the TV guys then mentioned that the fastest start by a member on Nos. 1 and 2, playing as par 5's at the time was a birdie 4 followed by an albatross 2 on the second hole. Four under after two holes. Modesty forbids me to mention the player's name.

Keith Durrant

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2004, 10:48:11 PM »
So is the ultimate golf shot an Albatross 1 or 2?!

...I just have John Cleese at the Hollywood Bowl going round and round in my head... ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back