News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

david beckham

Are we getting bored with Augusta?
« on: February 10, 2004, 07:34:55 PM »
Another year, another Augusta.

Would it be feasable to change the location of the Master's, for me, it's getting a bit, "here we go again".

And if it could be relocated, where could it go?
         Thought's..   Stove..

A_Clay_Man

Re:Are we getting bored with Augusta?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 07:46:49 PM »
We are too depressed to be bored.

david beckham

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 07:50:21 PM »
We are too depressed to be bored.       ..Explain.  does this mean that your not motivated this year, yet,  niether am i.

Perhap's when the sun start's to shine, i may get a bit more into it..

« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 07:56:26 PM by stovey »

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 07:53:18 PM »
Perhaps you're unfamiliar with the direction that Hootie and the boyz, have taken Dr, Mackenzie, Mr. Jones and Ms. Hollins art.
Trees and rough, the stuff that boredum and then depression is caused by. Ya know!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 08:17:13 PM »
Stovey,

Get a grip.

ANGC remains a great golf course...... and.....

The Masters signals the begining of the golf season for many of us.

In addtion, it has proven, year after year, to be a great tournament.

If you don't like it, don't watch or read about it.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 08:37:04 PM »
Good points, Pat. Honestly. If you don't like it, don't watch the Masters and don't read about the tournament or the golf course. It is in fact that simple.

However, there are those of who are a bit disappointed with what the course and tournament golf there, at Augusta National, has become. Comparatively, it's... let's say, "not what it used to be".

That's a fact some of us are disgruntled with. Sorry.
jeffmingay.com

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 08:40:38 PM »
Stovey,

Go down to Augusta and buy a ticket for the practice round just once and you'll never have that opinion again.  For the rest of your life you'll wish that somehow you'd be granted the priviledge of being invited for a day.

The place is amazing looking on TV, but the pictures on TV don't even begin to do the entire event justice.  It's too bad they don't televise the Par3 course also.

For all the flaws people might see in the course, they run the best tournament in the world and they never slip from the standard of excellence they've set for themselves.  

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 09:08:05 PM »
Is it possible to be bored with the golf course at Augusta National but still thrilled by the Masters?

Cheers,
Darren

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2004, 11:12:50 PM »
As long as the greens remain largely as they have been, it will still be pretty exciting to watch.

However, recent changes have certainly done little to improve the course, and have removed the "veteran" factor, where a Jack Nicklaus at 46 could put on a charge.  

It's become more like a standard PGA tour major setup, with some loss of what made it unique all of these years.

Brock Peyer

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2004, 10:39:47 AM »
In my eyes, asking the question, "are we bored with Augusta?", is the equivalent to telling "Your Mama is so ugly" jokes.  

Yes, they have changed the place, where else can you get so much history than Augusta?

If you haven't been, make a point to go, you probably won't be bored, if you have a ticket for this year and are feeling bored, send it to me, I have secured my ticket for the year.

Steve_Lemmon

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2004, 02:16:10 PM »
A story re last year's Masters:  I was with a friend on no 13 when the final group came through.  Frankly, Mattiace looked to me like he was playing the best.  We followed Weir through the 15th.  When he birdied 15, we put our chairs on the rope next to the 10 green, in hopes of a playoff.  We watched him play 17, couldn't get close to 18, and went to our chairs to hope for a playoff (there were already a few hundred people there).  
I was very surprised to see a young Augusta employee double rolling the no. 10 green with one of those old fashioned hand rollers.  Hootie and the Augusta member in charge of course preparation (I've forgotten his name but saw him on tv that week talking about the course set up, rain, etc) showed up and watched the final rolling.  It was finished just as Weir and Mattiace walked down the fairway.  
Mattiace, of course, missed the green, but hit a pretty good chip.  I was sitting close, and can tell you all he hit a darn good putt, but it took off on him because of the rolling of the green.  He was in shock.  Weir had been "gimping" many of his putts and did the same, and it still rolled past the hole.
I found out later that Mattiace had been preparing for the playoff on the practice green, which had not been rolled.  I wonder to this day if anyone has told him of the special preparations of the no. 10 green.   By the way, after Mattiace hit his putt off the green, I looked at Hootie and the other guy, who were laughing to themselves.  Sort of an inside joke, I guess.  

Jim Franklin

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2004, 02:34:16 PM »
It is a shame that some of the changes have taken the intended strategic aspects of the course away. If I am not mistaken, Mackenzie and Jones wanted it to play like St Andrews with wide fairways that allowed players to position themselves for tyhe correct angle of attack. With the addition of rough, this style of play is changed considerably. I like the old course.
Mr Hurricane

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2004, 02:48:20 PM »
I think the Green Jackets have made their course into a US Open type venue with less rough and are trying to defend par. It used to be said that the tunamint didn't begin until the back 9 on Sunday. Now, I'm not so sure.
Steve
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Kelly Blake Moran

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2004, 03:43:41 PM »
Does there exist in print a detailed accounting of the original course, graphics and words?

munson

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2004, 04:02:32 PM »
Traditions can be boring, but that's how they become traditions.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2004, 04:19:58 PM »
The rough is a mistake, the extra trees should not be necessary, the added length plays into Tiger's hands and recent tournaments have been lackluster in comparison with the event's storied history.

But weather has impacted the last two Masters, and there have been years past when the competition wasn't exactly scintilating, nor was the winner a popular favorite (Coody, Brewer, Archer, etc.)

I like the Masters' chances of coming up with another thrilling weekend, sooner rather than later.

"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Odd_Job

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2004, 05:12:14 PM »
I will be glued to the TV for the weekend:

I will not be bored with:

1)  no commercials
2)  the CBS telecast w/ the great Master's music score
3)  watching the US amatuer champion and the last's year Master's champion playing on Thursday and Friday
4)  the fact that the Master's is the harbinger of spring in MN
5)  watching the old master's champions make their way around the course and occasionally get on a roll

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2004, 05:25:54 PM »
Having been to Augusta and seen this place, I will never be bored. Attended a Monday practice round in 2001 and could only describe it as the same way Dororthy felt when she landed in Oz. It is truly a beautiful place, and even though the golf course has changed you feel like you can still see Jack stick his putter in the air on 17, Sandy Lyle hit that beautiful bunker shot on 18 and Mize chip in on 11 just to name a few.

For some I can see your point. It doesn't appear the course is set up for a back nine 30 like Jack's in 1986. For the longest time it was one of the few majors where guys made birdies coming home, instead of grinding out pars.

There is still an historic feeling about the place. And, as some have said the par-3 course is beautiful as well.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2004, 06:48:08 PM »
Odd Job,
I will be glued to the TV for the weekend:

I will not be bored with:

1)  no commercials
2)  the CBS telecast w/ the great Master's music score
3)  watching the US amatuer champion and the last's year Master's champion playing on Thursday and Friday
4)  the fact that the Master's is the harbinger of spring in MN
5)  watching the old master's champions make their way around the course and occasionally get on a roll

All great points

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2004, 07:27:54 PM »
Its never boring watching history and Augusta rarely disappoints.  The golf course (to most of us) is so defamed but always looks so good I'm mesmerized by it.

Steve Lemmon:
Johnny Miller always talks about how they trick up Augusta.  They cut the fairways in one direction to speed the ball and flood other areas with water to slow things down.  Your example is a little surprising but Augusta makes their own rules.

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2004, 08:02:24 PM »
How could you not love this place?

You can't see that large mound in front of the green from the fairway

TV doesn't do just as to how steep that hill really is:

david beckham

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2004, 09:04:38 PM »
Uuum, yeah, nice photo's, it realy does look like heaven on earth does'nt it, guess i made a boo boo! sorry folk's..

Doug Siebert

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2004, 02:02:42 AM »
Yikes, are those golf cart tracks in the second pic?  Sacrilege!
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2004, 08:30:00 AM »
I'm not sure if they are cart tracks or tracks from landscaping vehicles.  The pictures are from the 2003 Masters, and it has rained about 4-6" in the previous two days, so the course was very wet and very soft.  ANGC does not have cart paths, but they do allow players to use carts.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2004, 09:03:02 AM »
How can anyone get bored with the Masters?  If we took a poll as to the #1 course most people would want to play, is there any doubt that ANGC would be it?

Now, if the brass would only make participation contingent on the use of a specially commisioned Masters ball yielding about 85% of the current ProV1 distance at the top swing speeds.  Those who don't like it can decline the invitation, and I doubt that the manufacturers would generate much sympathy.  Perhaps then the club wouldn't feel the need to acquire additional property, grow rough, and tighten the course with trees.  Maybe Ike was not so dumb after all some 50 years ago.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back