News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lou_Duran

Re:Laid off or laidback? Golf Leprechaun or America's Guest?
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2004, 02:43:18 PM »
Matt,

Thanks, big boy ;).  I played Monday for the first time in awhile, and after yanking it for the upteenth time, the pro I was playing with told me on the 18th tee that I wasn't doing anything with my legs.  Go figure!  It was ugly, very ugly.

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2004, 02:53:35 PM »
Huck,

[Putting on my Butch Harmon hat]
While the 4th picture "appears" to be getting closer to vertical, it took a twisting path (of your hands & wrists) to get it there.  Now, the good news is that you don't hit the ball on the backswing and this won't kill you.  The bad news is that the twisting might make it tough to get back down from the top because it's starting to make your shoulders dip & twist.  

Having seen your swing for 18 holes, I'd say the chief cause of this is the way you make that extra "rise" before you swing to get a little taller.  This brings your hands and shoulders slightly out of alignment and the only way to compensate is to be a little bit flat going back.  Again, the backswing doesn't hit the ball so it's not terrible, but getting "crooked" at the top because of this does create some concern for being able to be really consistant.  

Don't want to give you too much to think about at this point.  Maybe I can give you a few tips when I'm out in March.  There are a couple of easy ways to fix this.    

[BH hat off]

Mike Benham

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2004, 03:02:19 PM »
This is great ... America's Guest is now America's Student !!!

Although I believe that this is a somewhat shallow attempt by the South to disrupt your swing going into the KPIII.

As a reminder, with visions of Bob Murphy, the aged Ray Floyd and Jim Furyk,

It's not HOW, but HOW MANY !!![/i]
"... and I liked the guy ..."

THuckaby2

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2004, 03:02:32 PM »
Holey moley... that is great stuff BG - thanks - man now I owe you some serious vino also.

So we come to the kicker, though... as you saw, my game is decent enough - it's good enough for me anyway - that day we played was a little below average skill and result level for me, but close enough to standard.  My index has ranged from 2-7 for about the last 20 years and such is my life.  Given the realities of this life these days, make the assumption I have zero time to devote the range work necessary to make  changes.  Also factor in I am pretty content and happy with my game, with enough good rounds to keep me so and an acceptance of my lack of place in the competitive golf world, and zero desire to change that, that is pretty karmically correct... With all this background, can you see WHY I hate seeing pics of myself?  I have enough knowledge of swing mechanics to know mine sucks, but not enough to fix it, nor enough time or desire to implement changes.  Bottom line is trying NOT to do that little "rise", which I had completely forgotten about but now remember that I do on every damn swing - would be beyond painful to effect.

So while this makes great sense - as do the words of THE Doyen, well... at first glance it made me want to run to a range, but upon reflection all I want to do now is throttle Dick Daley.   ;D

Just getting, Dick - this has been great fun for me.  But for my home life and peace of mind, I'm thinking I'm gonna go back to the bliss of ignorance.

TH

THuckaby2

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2004, 03:03:44 PM »
This is great ... America's Guest is now America's Student !!!

Although I believe that this is a somewhat shallow attempt by the South to disrupt your swing going into the KPIII.

As a reminder, with visions of Bob Murphy, the aged Ray Floyd and Jim Furyk,

It's not HOW, but HOW MANY !!![/i]

WHEW!  Thankfully it takes a fellow Bronco for a reality check.  I was going off the deep-end there for a second.  Of course this has been my mantra for way too many years, but the bottom line is it likely should remain such!

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2004, 03:08:47 PM »
Note to Huckaby:

Don't mess with perfection.  I watched you stripe the ball all day long at Sand Hills, and painfully recall your's being the only ball in play at CP's 16th.

Remember the lesson of so many tour players who tinkered and tinkered until it was gone.

Don't become the Ralph Guldahl of GCA.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 03:10:02 PM by Mike_Cirba »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2004, 03:12:08 PM »
Huck:

Your swing is a thing of b-e-a-u-t-y compared to mine. :o

Don't change a thing othersie you could become the modern day poster child like Ian Baker Finch after he "improved" his swing. ;D

THuckaby2

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2004, 03:13:24 PM »
Note to Huckaby:

Don't mess with perfection.  I watched you stripe the ball all day long at Sand Hills, and painfully recall your's being the only ball in play at CP's 16th.

Remember the lesson of so many tour players who tinkered and tinkered until it was gone.

Mike, I sincerely appreciate that, especially since given your place in the pantheon, you could have REALLY screwed with me if you wanted to!

That is my karma/place in life/reality, to be Popeye as well as Medusa of golf, as I just told my bud Brian off-line... I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam... Sometimes it works, like that Sand Hills trip and the glorious day I was a man among other men whilst lesser men laid up.   ;D  Other times it doesn't, like with some great folks at Yale who saw me suck worse than the worst hack... The reality is that while everyone does prefer to play better than worse, well... I sure as hell have come to accept my limitations.  As other greats have said in here, the more I suck the more fun the game gets.

The quote I continue to attach to each post still has great relevance to me, also....

So OK, not to get too maudlin (sorry!) and while I'm sure this is among the worst wastes of bandwith in the history of this forum (I can just feel Tim Weiman cringing), well... I do appreciate all this, gents!

TH

ps to Matt - we crossed - muchas gracias also, mi amigo.  From what I hear and sure as hell need to SEE sooner rather than later, you have no issues with actually hitting the ball.  I just didn't know you were a Popeye/Medusa like me... Man I appreciate the company!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 03:14:58 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2004, 03:13:30 PM »
Personally, I love the way he pauses at the top.  Question: does he inhale or exhale at that point?

THuckaby2

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2004, 03:17:34 PM »
Personally, I love the way he pauses at the top.  Question: does he inhale or exhale at that point?

;D ;D ;D ;D

Oh man Lou, that elicited audible yuks most definitely.  You need to save that question for another two months though - remember my short-term memory issues!

Lou_Duran

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2004, 03:21:54 PM »
For the KPII, I am practicing my Seve routine (Andale demonio!), including a full array of recovery shots from the gunch and a pocket full of loose change.  All. of course, in  the spirit of the game, Don Tomas.

THuckaby2

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2004, 03:29:13 PM »
Lou - that is great by me.  Hey, I dig Seve... and you know, you do kinda resemble him....

;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back