News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Laid off or laidback? Golf Leprechaun or America's Guest?
« on: January 22, 2004, 03:53:50 PM »
This is an expose and a test to see how the Mystic Lab thing works.  I intend to delete the whole thread in a day or two and delete the pictures, inorder to not overuse the memory capacity of the GolfClubAtlas site.  But, If this works, it serves to do something I have been hoping to have as a feature here, whereby we might readily post pictures of a particular design feature we might be discussing at the time, to help understand the context of an architectural issue.  Then, after the issue is discussed for a while, the poster can go back with the sitesuite edit feature and delete it after it is no longer a current topic.

if this doesn't work, I will delete immediately...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 04:08:21 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

THuckaby2

Re:Laid off or laidback? Golf Leprechaun or America's Guest?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004, 04:02:18 PM »
what a stud that guy is
what an awful swing he has
what a great course that is
what a damn fun time that was

said stud is really working on trying not to lay the club back so much.  This was June 2002.  I'm hoping pics from TKPIII would show a better swing, but don't count on it!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 04:05:39 PM »
Ok Dave, I updated it with big pics, I think...

Have I captured the essence...BAM! :o 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

THuckaby2

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 04:09:58 PM »
oh man, this is painful... I've told people before, this is why I never watch video of my swing, nor do I like to see pics of anything other than a follow-through position (which is damn good, if I must say so - my posting of the PB pic was no accident).   ;D

My swing is a cross between Nancy Lopez and Bob Murphy, only worse.  Tempo is the same also.  I've also said before I am the Medusa of Golf - look on at your peril.  These pics ought to be fair warning for those attending TKPIII.

Great course though!

Side-note - yours truly is sporting a Yale GC shirt and Santa Clara University hat.  It was college day at Wild Horse.

;D ;D ;D

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2004, 04:13:42 PM »
I got the goods on a lot of you guys, so just watch out, or I'll expose one of the rest of you mugs next! ;D :P

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2004, 04:14:54 PM »
Surely the shot from the fairway bunker was staged for the camera! I can't imagine America's Guest actually landing in there.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

THuckaby2

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2004, 04:21:03 PM »
Surely the shot from the fairway bunker was staged for the camera! I can't imagine America's Guest actually landing in there.

Pete - I wish.  Nope, I found LOTS of bunkers at Wild Horse!

This very round also produced another interesting side-note - Brad Miller beat me for the umpteenth time in a row at that point, 1up on 18, getting up and down literally from a trash can.  I do mean literally - he had to take a drop from the trash can behind and to the right of the 18th green.

Funny how one remembers classic defeats... but at least I tend to remember not much from wins.  Maybe because they happen so infrequently.   :'(

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2004, 04:26:07 PM »
To try and focus this on architecture (and not to piss off Brad Klein ;)) the second to bottom pic of Huck in the bunker on #5 shows one of my favorite design features at WH; the convex laced or inverted bunker guarding the semi-punchbowl green.  The shortish hole is a blast to play.  Right side in the fairway must deal with the hidden green surface by the convex bunker, and flirting or cheating the drive too much left, and well... you get what Huck got. ;D  There is a small but happy left center LZ that gives you a better view of the green surface opening from the green's left front side.  

THuckaby2

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2004, 04:32:14 PM »
Very well said re #5, RJD, and I am happy to serve as an example of what can go wrong. As I recall everything is telling you to stay left, because that shot over the convex bunker, coming from the right, is just asking for trouble... But take this too far and yep, my fate is the result.  As I recall big bombers just take it over this bunker, but hell they don't count.

TH

SPDB

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2004, 04:49:22 PM »
My swing is a cross between Nancy Lopez and Bob Murphy, only worse.  

Tom,
From the looks of the swing, I assume you are referring to longtime Mets play-by-play man/octogenarian/recently retired Bob Murphy?

THuckaby2

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2004, 04:51:34 PM »
SPDB - well what the hell, odds are he has a better swing than me also!

But I was referring to the former Senior, oops I mean Champions Tour great and erstwhile announcer.  First time I saw him hit the ball I nearly died.  Same body shape as me, also.

This is not a proud day.  + ;D

Mike Hendren

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2004, 04:55:36 PM »
Who's that weenie pulling a trolley?  He does not appear to be nearly as bulked up as his more famous photo leaning on the fence on the 15th tee at CPC.

Architectural question:  Is there a name for the type of bunkering short/right of the green in the 7th photo?  Lace, perhaps?  I loved them.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mike Benham

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2004, 05:04:41 PM »
Side-note - yours truly is sporting a Yale GC shirt and Santa Clara University hat.  It was college day at Wild Horse.

;D ;D ;D

Huck -

It is not a side-note at all.  In fact you should deflect criticism and banter about your swing or results of your shot and focus on what is important ...

I have even included a link in case anyone else is interested in acquiring clothing from SCU, follow the links to the "Huckaby Collection"

http://santaclarabroncos.ocsn.com/store/sacl-store.html

Mike - SCU '81
"... and I liked the guy ..."

THuckaby2

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2004, 05:18:51 PM »
Mike H:

Man it was hot that day... trolley seemed like a heck of a good idea to me.  But I have always professed to full weeniehood also, as that (in)famous pic of me at CPC 15 attests as well.

Mike B:

Right on, fellow Bronco oh so much older than me.  See how far our vaunted influence extends?

TH
SCU '85

It is clear the school was not big enough for the both of us!

« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 05:19:57 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2004, 08:09:22 PM »
Huck:

I mean is that laying the club off or what?

I mean with a swing like that you should send in an entry to the World Rodeo Championships. If you can't hit the ball I know for sure you could rope some serious horses or bulls! ;D

Lou_Duran

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2004, 08:10:27 PM »
Dick,

You are not authorized to post any pictures of me.  It's a shame I don't have one of you changing a tire or pushing the truck out of the sand.  What a trip that was.

Huck,

Pity or a thing of beauty.  Which is it?  And to think that I lost to that.  Nice form on the first picture.  Excellent at the top, though I don't like where your ball ended up.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2004, 09:58:25 PM »
It is a shame I don't have one of YOU changing the tire.  Remember, I was too weak to turn the lug nut! ::) :P  No good deed goes unpunished around here...

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2004, 10:03:21 PM »
RJ_Daley,

I'm pretty sure that you don't need to worry about using up all the GCA.com memory space by posting pictures like this.  The pictures are stored on the MagicColorLab servers, not GCA.com, so it shouldn't be a problem.  

RJ_Daley

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2004, 10:07:11 PM »
Good, I only have about 5000 of GCA contributors in various states of embarrasment on courses of architectural merit left to post! ;D :o  Of course the last is of Lou on the tee of the all world par 3, 17th at SH.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2004, 11:35:31 PM »
Dick,

I recognize the hole, but who's the fat guy with the bad posture?  Some corn-farming hack you found in Nebraska?

For the record, that is one of my favorite short par-3 in the world, on one of the most unique, grand courses I've ever seen.

BTW, my attorney will be calling yours.

THuckaby2

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2004, 09:09:48 AM »
I dunno Lou... you look like Tiger freakin' Woods compared to the other truly fat guy pictured in this thread...

Matt Ward - I told you not to look!
 ;D

These pics do one positive thing, though - they make me want to go back and play Wild Horse again right now!

TEPaul

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2004, 02:17:05 PM »
You know what--I sort of wondered about that backswing of Tom Huckaby myself when I saw it--at least the first half of his backswing. The third photo above does look like the poster child of the definition of "laid off". But towards the top of the backswing it seems to get better--sort of. In that third photo his shaft is just about horizontal. Try and get that baby far more vertical at that point in your swing TomH and guess what you just might find you have a ton more energy towards the end of your rounds. Didn't anyone ever tell you if you get the shaft more veritical at that point in your backswing the club will feel a whole lot lighter? This only took me about a minute to type so at my present hourly rate you only owe me  $16.66. I'll give you the "friend deal" though, so you only owe me $16.50. Forget about that and just buy me a couple of glasses of medium priced cabernet next time I see you!

Lou_Duran

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2004, 02:24:23 PM »
TEP,

Surely you jest.  Why mess with perfection.

By more vertical near the top, do you mean pointing at the sky or the ground?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2004, 02:25:46 PM »
Lou:

Great leg action -- golf and otherwise!!!

THuckaby2

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2004, 02:34:38 PM »
You know what--I sort of wondered about that backswing of Tom Huckaby myself when I saw it--at least the first half of his backswing. The third photo above does look like the poster child of the definition of "laid off". But towards the top of the backswing it seems to get better--sort of. In that third photo his shaft is just about horizontal. Try and get that baby far more vertical at that point in your swing TomH and guess what you just might find you have a ton more energy towards the end of your rounds. Didn't anyone ever tell you if you get the shaft more veritical at that point in your backswing the club will feel a whole lot lighter? This only took me about a minute to type so at my present hourly rate you only owe me  $16.66. I'll give you the "friend deal" though, so you only owe me $16.50. Forget about that and just buy me a couple of glasses of medium priced cabernet next time I see you!

TEP - see, I'm afraid to take lessons because having swung the club this way for oh, 33 years now, the horrors involved in changing just scare me.  But that being said, your words above do make a heck of a lot of sense to me, and give me something to work on... It's funny but this is exactly what I have been working on, in recent times when I do get time to work on my game at all (which is nearly never), but I never heard the "club feels lighter" phrasing.  Damn, this makes me want to get to a range...

So muchas gracias, mi amigo - and the Cab is on me next time we meet - and we shall make it high-end.  Oh, you're hourly rate does merit only medium-grade, but the worth to me gets you in Opus One territory.   ;D

One more question though, which make take us into French Burgundies:  in the 4th photo I do seem to have gotten it to vertical somehow... though I know the arms could sure as hell stand to be more away from the body... is this one at least starting toward getting the right idea?  Or does it even matter, given that the circuitous route the club took to get to this point is problem enough in and of itself?

« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 02:38:09 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back