News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy_Naccarato

Who Said This?
« on: December 26, 2003, 11:58:38 AM »
For those who do know this quote, please do comment, but refrain in Aerial of the Day-atyle from divulging the author. Feel free to add your clues!

"A golf hole, humanely speaking, is like life, inasmuch as one cannot judge justly of any person's character the first time one meets him. Sometimes it takes years to discover and appreciate hidden qualities which only time disclose, and he usually discloses them on the links. No real lover of golf with artistic understanding would undertake to measure the quality or fascination of a golf hole with a yardstick, any more then a critic of poetry would attempt to measure the supreme sentiment expressed in a poem by the same method. One can understand the meter, but one cannot measure the soul expressed, It is absolutely inconceivable."

Bold letter comments hilighted for Matt Ward & Thomas Brown :) Bold letter comments hilighted for Matt Ward & Thomas Brown :)Bold letter comments hilighted for Matt Ward & Thomas Brown :)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2003, 12:28:36 PM by Tommy_Naccarato »

A_Clay_Man

Re:Who Said This?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2003, 12:12:03 PM »
JakaB?...

:o

Maybe it's the sexism exhibited, but somehow I disagree on occasion with the ignoring of one's first impressions or the person who is capable of processing inforamtion at speeds not common, when this was written.

Darwin?

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2003, 12:15:41 PM »
No, its not Darwin.

Adam, try to figure it out with clues like Scott's Aerial of the Day. It should be too tough for some. Here is a first clue:

Like Harvey Pennick's Red Book on Golf Instruction, this is the Red Book on Golf Architecture.

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2003, 12:27:23 PM »
That's a real gift of a quote, Tommy.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2003, 12:35:29 PM »
TN, have you set my ship right?

Michael Dugger

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2003, 12:44:42 PM »
Is it from the crusty old windbag that didn't let two words in edgewise?  The man who won the U.S. Amatuer on his third try?  The man who liked to throw pebbles?  
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2003, 12:57:54 PM »
Very good Michael!

Adam, Your ship is back at sea, or should I say, sailing Reynold's Channel! (another clue)

What a great GIFT this would be for Christmas for some. Including Matt Ward & Tom Brown! :)

Dan Kelly

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2003, 12:59:54 PM »
In other words:

Ranking great golf courses is as silly as ranking great poems?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2003, 01:02:41 PM »
The Very Soul of Mike Erdmann Shrieks! Sorry for stealing part of your clue!

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2003, 01:04:28 PM »
Dan, Ranking courses would be like ranking editors, some deserve the ol' Dan Jenkins, typewriter carriage in the side of the head, while there are others that are just so perfect......:)

Matt_Ward

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2003, 01:35:57 PM »
Tommy:

Appreciate the plug .. suffice to say where would some of you "art" lovers be if it were not for those, like me, who look at golf from a different perspective?

I mean where would frick be without frack? Costello without Abbott? Mucci without Paul?

All the best Emperor -- hope the rain has stopped given all the mudslides I saw on TV from San Bernardino.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2003, 02:13:09 PM »
Same here Matt! Merry Xmas to you and La Familia.

Today its going to be around 74 and clear as can be. Right now, there isn't a cloud in the sky, and I'm going to get off of this computer and go outside and enjoy life! Maybe even try to attempt to play some stick ball.

Steve Katz

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2003, 02:26:59 PM »
Tommy:

My dear friend. The quote comes from C.B. Macdonald. I just happened to read it this morning in Geoff's wonderful book The Art of Golf Design.  Warmest wishes to you and the family for the Holidays and New Year.

Cheers,

Steve Katz

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2003, 02:50:59 PM »
You too Steve!

Although you gave the answer away!

The quote everyone is from Scotland's Gift: Golf by te Great C.B. MacDonald

Gift in a couple of posts was a given.

Michael Dugger's excellent clues regarding C.B.'s challenging of the rules of what consitutes a U.S. Open Champion. Some really classic stuff, and its the kind of stuff you just love thinking about while playing the National!

Thomas_Brown

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2003, 03:00:36 PM »
I just finished Mac's book last week.
In his 100 point criteria, length gets how many percentage points - 7% ?

I actually agree w/ that 7% score.
But, there has to be some reason to length for a championship course.

Is the putting green course in St. Andrews a great course?
No - not enough length(and not enough bunkers for Tommy.) :)

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2003, 03:22:33 PM »
Oh contrare my friend! It has the strategy where bunkers are not needed!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back