News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_F

Mike Clayton's new book
« on: December 23, 2003, 08:19:05 PM »
I am not sure how overseas distribution will be handled, but you should all try to get a copy of Mike's new book, "Golf From the Inside".

Only around one third of the book has architectural discussions, with the rest devoted to players such as Norman, Seve, Woods and others, and some thoughts on the game and equipment in general, but it is a fantastic, thoughtful and illuminating read, and at only $33.00 Australian peso's, the best value going around.

Miss it at your peril.

Chris Kane

Re:Mike Clayton's new book
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2003, 10:55:06 PM »
Although I can be accused of BIAS, I'll second Mark's recommendation.  

"Golf from the Inside" is an engaging read, with the architecture chapters - "Golf in Britain", "Golf in Europe", "Golf in America" and "The Sandbelt" being the highlight.  Mike's thoughts about the gradual destruction of the sandbelt will surely ruffle some feathers !

Mike, are there any plans for international distribution?  
« Last Edit: December 24, 2003, 02:09:08 AM by Chris Kane »

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2003, 12:54:43 AM »
Having just finished the book, I can say it is a engaging and enjoyable read. A little more relevant to Australians, with chapters on Wayne Grady and Ian Baker-Finch, but so much great stuff on the game through the last few decades. Seve, Tiger, the Shark, and so much more. For those who are keen for a copy, and who are unable to access it easily, go to www.scribepub.com.au for more. Mike's book is entitled "Golf from The Inside" and the ISBN is 1-920769-07-2   A great (if not belated) Christmas gift.

Matthew
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Mark_Huxford

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2003, 01:43:39 AM »
Thanks for this Mark, I've already started the hunt for it in this country.

Chris, did Woods in NZ rate a mention? I bet Mike has some stories from that week what with the organizers trying push Tiger's tee time back on the Saturday and so forth.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2003, 01:47:34 AM by Mark_Huxford »

Mark_F

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2003, 01:43:39 AM »
Chris,

I don't believe Mike's comments about the gradual destruction of various Sandbelt courses will ruffle any feathers at all.

That implies some measure of intelligence, a quality obviously not found in all feathered species here in Melbourne...

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2003, 07:44:32 AM »
Mark

Peter Fowler has the only copy in NZ as far as I know.
Send me a message with an address and I will get one to you.
And, no there was no mention of Tiger in NZ although Steve Williams gets a few lines as does #17 at Paraparaumu.

Chris
I am assuming it's only being sold in Australia.
It will be interesting to see the reaction to the sandbelt chapter - if any at all.Maybe the ones who need to read it won't and for those who do it will be a case of preaching to the converted.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2003, 07:47:21 AM by Mike_Clayton »

Brian Phillips

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2003, 08:21:57 AM »
Mike,

How can we all buy copies?  Is it possible to buy direct from you?

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2003, 03:36:43 PM »
Brian

It is possible to buy copies from me,I guess.Just send me a message with an address and I will get one to you.

Richard Chamberlain

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2003, 06:45:26 PM »
Mike

Are there any photo's in the book ?
I was hoping you would have some of that wacky dance you used to do on the greens at NSWGC.

Doc

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2003, 03:19:32 AM »
Dr K

Only a few shockers of Grady,Fowler and me from the really old days - when we all had hair.
Nothing from the famous day !

Mark_Huxford

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2003, 04:58:21 AM »

Mike, I vaguely remember a story about a bimbo costing you the Australian Masters one year. You hit her off the tee—it kicked into the tee trees—and the head came off. Was that you or Wayne Riley?

Also, what is "Quit" in Australia? You had that on your hat for years.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2003, 08:38:11 AM »
Mark, Quit is a government sponsored anti-smoking campaign, which used sports sponsorship well, to convey its message.

I never really thought of how strange it would look, to people who didn't know about the campaign, when they saw an athlete with "Quit" on their shirt or hat.

Matthew
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2003, 01:44:57 PM »
Mark

That was years ago - 1991. I had a chance to win on 14 and drove down the left edge right where you need to go and a girl had a table and chair on the edge of the fairway measuring the long drives. It hit the table and bounced behind a tree.
As usual I failed to handle the situation with the required grace.
If it had been Radar it would have been even uglier!

Mark_Huxford

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2003, 02:35:33 PM »
 :D
Very good

Rick Hartmann

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2003, 01:00:14 PM »
Clayts

Well done on the book!!! I bet i would have a few storys to add from the old days. Let me know how i can get copy.
Rick

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back