News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Sims

Elie to restrict visitors
« on: October 04, 2024, 04:10:53 PM »
A social media report by the UK Golf Guy indicates that The Golf House Club, Elie will close to visitors from mid-July to mid-August. I went on their site and saw this.

The July & August school holiday period is by far our busiest part of the year for members play. Due to capacity issues, play is therefore reserved exclusively for members within this period and no visitors times are available. A ballot is in place for all casual members times within this period.”

A friend said to me recently that he thinks good golf in the UK and Ireland is at or near capacity in many places. This doesn’t match my anecdotal experience over the last two summers, other than Royal Dornoch. Everywhere else we nearly had the place to ourselves and played as fast or slow as we wanted. In late June.

As is their right, Elie is closing to visitors in the high season to preserve their member experience. Yet, they’re so busy they’ll still need a ballot for members in that time. Does any other course in Scotland need a ballot for their *members* in summer?
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:17:18 AM by Ben Sims »

Daryl David

Re: Elie to restrict visitors
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2024, 07:19:44 PM »
What is a “casual member”?  Perhaps they are not full members and must use a ballot?

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2024, 08:42:28 PM »
I salute Elie for putting their members first and not feeling obliged to "maximize revenue."

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2024, 09:52:21 PM »

[size=78%]“[/size][size=78%][/size] The July & August school holiday period is by far our busiest part of the [size=78%][/color][/size][size=78%][/color][/size]year for members play. Due to capacity issues, play is therefore reserved [size=78%][/color][/size][size=78%][/color][/size]exclusively for members within this period and no visitors times are available...[size=78%][/color][/size][size=78%][/color][/size].”[size=78%][/color][/size]

Royal West Norfolk has had a similar policy for years.  Both Clubs are in popular holiday areas, and with prosperous members.[/size]
Let's make GCA grate again!

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2024, 10:14:28 PM »
I salute Elie for putting their members first and not feeling obliged to "maximize revenue."

Well said

Niall

Ben Sims

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 12:22:07 AM »

David,

I think you raise an interesting point. I like to think the standard UK and Ireland club model as we know it today isn’t simply a revenue proposition. But your post makes me curious. Do you think the collectively known “UK club model” is merely economics? Or is something more virtuous and/or traditional driving it? All of the above?

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 05:37:28 AM »
What is a “casual member”?  Perhaps they are not full members and must use a ballot?
Daryl

I read that as being the non-competition times for member play.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Notts; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ),

Daryl David

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 11:41:22 AM »
Daryl

I read that as being the non-competition times for member play.

Thanks. Makes sense.

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 01:17:40 PM »
Ben -

Since I have never been to Elie, know very little about the membership and know nothing at all about the club's finances, I probably should not have posted anything at all.

I am certainly a fan of the GB&I "club model." No doubt revenue from visitor play can have a positive impact on a club's finances. It can help subsidize the members' annual dues and possibly allow clubs to hire extra staff to maintain the course and operate the clubhouse.

That being said, I think many clubs welcome visitors because they have pride in their club and their course and are more than willing to share what they have with visiting golfers.

As we have seen on a couple of other threads here and in the media at large, in may places around the world there is now a push back against the rise in tourism that goes far beyond the world of golf.

My guess is 90% of the visitor play in GB&I happens at less than 10% of the golf clubs. No doubt some of those clubs (and their members) are feeling overwhelmed by visitor play. I see nothing wrong with any club trying to draw a line in some way. Some clubs limit visitor play to certain hours of the day or certain days of the week.

After all, the primary purpose of a club is to serve its members.

DT   

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:38:50 PM by David_Tepper »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 02:03:12 PM »
As we have seen on a couple of other threads here and in the media at large, in may places around the world there is now a push back against the rise in tourism that goes far beyond the world of golf.
My guess is 90% of the visitor play in GB&I happens at less than 10% of the golf clubs. No doubt some of those clubs (and their members) are feeling overwhelmed by visitor play. I see nothing wrong with any club trying to draw a line in some way. Some clubs limit visitor play to certain hours of the day or certain days of the week.
Nicely summarised.
Atb

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 02:19:52 PM »
We ought to be careful in the way we frame simple heuristics.

While I don't disagree with this statement in general, I would suggest that there is at least some element of stewardship and public reciprocity involved. Once a club begin acting hostile to the general public, there is no reason why the general public ought not act hostile to the private club.

I think two months of exclusive use is fair play, but I would worry about cultural issue if Scotland started to trend toward the American model.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 03:55:17 PM »

This.
IF tee times are so scarce that members need a lottery, it makes perfect sense.
Courses are no better with all the additional revenue, just more crowded with faster greens.
I'm sure at some point they will find a happy medium and eventually offer some visitor play on the odd "in season"(July August) days.

I've often wondered aloud about the gradually over time diminished experience for members at Ballybunion, and now many other clubs.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Handley

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 05:32:38 PM »

Quote from: David_Tepper on Today at 01:17:40 PM[size=0px]After all, the primary purpose of a club is to serve its members.[/size]

[/color]We ought to be careful in the way we frame simple heuristics. [/size]While I don't disagree with this statement in general, I would suggest that there is at least some element of stewardship and public reciprocity involved. Once a club begin acting hostile to the general public, there is no reason why the general public ought not act hostile to the private club.I think two months of exclusive use is fair play, but I would worry about cultural issue if Scotland started to trend toward the American model.

@Matthew

A private club is just that....private.  They don't owe the general public access to anything.  These golf clubs in the UK don't owe me "stewardship" to allow me to play their golf course. I feel privileged to be able to play top private clubs in the UK. And I am fine to abide by their rules.  After all, I am a guest. 

[/color]
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 05:41:39 PM »
Happy to hear Elie is "protecting" their members. Good on them.
That said, I assume maximizing their revenue had a hand in the decision.

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 05:52:22 PM »
A private club is just that....private.  They don't owe the general public access to anything.  These golf clubs in the UK don't owe me "stewardship" to allow me to play their golf course.

In a very naive sense, of course this is true. This perspective, however, ignores the social compact as the basis for property.

If limited, precious resources fall into the hands of too few in a society, and those few do not act as good stewards, don’t be surprised if the state steps in to preserve some type of status quo.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 06:11:31 PM »
We ought to be careful in the way we frame simple heuristics.

While I don't disagree with this statement in general, I would suggest that there is at least some element of stewardship and public reciprocity involved. Once a club begin acting hostile to the general public, there is no reason why the general public ought not act hostile to the private club.

I think two months of exclusive use is fair play, but I would worry about cultural issue if Scotland started to trend toward the American model.

I don't think there is any real danger of that. Ninety-nine per cent of British golfers (and a fortiori Scottish golfers) would wet their pants if they knew what Americans pay to be members of decent golf clubs. Lower budgets are the main reason for that, but visitor income is an important component.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

John Handley

« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 11:59:59 PM »
"In a very naive sense, of course this is true. This perspective, however, ignores the social compact as the basis for property. [/size]If limited, precious resources fall into the hands of too few in a society, and those few do not act as good stewards, don’t be surprised if the state steps in to preserve some type of status quo."

Well let me know when the state of Georgia steps in to let you play Augusta National.   ::)
[/color]
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #17 on: Today at 12:07:16 AM »
Well let me know when the state of Georgia steps in to let you play Augusta National.

I would offer up the ladies who have recently joined Pine Valley, thanks to the State of New Jersey, as an example of what I'm talking about.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:13:50 AM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: Today at 01:02:28 AM »
Ben -

Since I have never been to Elie, know very little about the membership and know nothing at all about the club's finances, I probably should not have posted anything at all.

I am certainly a fan of the GB&I "club model." No doubt revenue from visitor play can have a positive impact on a club's finances. It can help subsidize the members' annual dues and possibly allow clubs to hire extra staff to maintain the course and operate the clubhouse.

That being said, I think many clubs welcome visitors because they have pride in their club and their course and are more than willing to share what they have with visiting golfers.

DT

Some GB&I clubs are fuelling and caught in a vicious circle of loving the visitor money so they can improve the  facilities and “the experience” which promotes more visitor play. I suggest the drive to run clubs like businesses has gone much too far in some cases the result is the visitor experience is cheapened….because clubs….and courses are being homogenised. Tourists get the blame, but it is greedy clubs creating the problem. More power to Elie.

Ciao
« Last Edit: Today at 11:08:29 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Chris Hughes

« Reply #19 on: Today at 10:53:30 AM »
Well let me know when the state of Georgia steps in to let you play Augusta National.

I would offer up the ladies who have recently joined Pine Valley, thanks to the State of New Jersey, as an example of what I'm talking about.
Is this example really illustrative of "the state" keeping "precious resources (from) falling into the hands of too few in a society"...??
"Is it the Chicken Salad or the golf course that attracts and retains members ?"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back