News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Presidents Cup and Royal Montreal
« on: September 27, 2024, 12:36:32 PM »
There has been no discussion of either. Who has played RM? It looks like a good test for the players. Does anyone care about the Presidents Cup?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jim Hoak

Re: Presidents Cup and Royal Montreal
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2024, 12:44:33 PM »
I don't care about the Presidents' Cup--and I'm beginning to not care about the Ryder Cup either.
Golf shouldn't be and is not a team sport--as the meaningless team competition on LIV has shown.
And hopefully it shouldn't be a nationalistic sport either.
The "USA" chants for Bryson at the US Open turned me off forever.  I was pulling for Rory; am I being un-American?  I don't believe so; I hope not.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2024, 01:12:09 PM »
I don't care about the Presidents' Cup--and I'm beginning to not care about the Ryder Cup either.
Golf shouldn't be and is not a team sport--as the meaningless team competition on LIV has shown.
And hopefully it shouldn't be a nationalistic sport either.
The "USA" chants for Bryson at the US Open turned me off forever.  I was pulling for Rory; am I being un-American?  I don't believe so; I hope not.

I echo your comments. The USA chants turn me off, and I cringe when I hear them at regular tournaments. They are boorish and don't belong at a golf tournament.

I enjoy watching match play, so I watch the matches, but generally, I don't root for anyone. I enjoy watching the strategy and shots.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Keith Phillips

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2024, 01:26:49 PM »
I love team golf, including the Ryder Cup, Solheim Cup, NCAA Championships AND the LIV event (loved the drama on the back nine). The President's Cup is tough because it's been too one-sided - not sure what the solution is there.  And why should golf be the only sport where a fan can't cheer loudly for their country?  Played Royal Montreal with a member two days after the 1997 Canadian Open. I don't remember much about the architecture but do remember is the 6" rough made it a long day for me! Royal Montreal is a very elegant club - back then if you wore shorts you had to wear knee socks, which they sell in great volume in their pro-shop!

Tim Martin

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2024, 01:46:30 PM »
At the risk of sounding unpatriotic I really don’t care about the Presidents Cup. I went to the event at Royal Montreal in 2007 after the course had been “Presidents Cup Doctored” by Rees Jones and wish I could have seen Dick Wilson’s work which had been pretty much abandoned. Not a fan of Rees so the golf course did not impress me as anything more than being overly penal which in his defense were probably the marching orders. I was somewhat familiar with Montreal after making more than a couple “educational” field trips while attending college in Burlington, VT. ;D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2024, 02:10:22 PM by Tim Martin »

Keith Phillips

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2024, 05:42:23 PM »
Wow what a day for the Internationals - down 5-0 after day one they just swept day 2 to even the match.  Fans going wild.  I LOVE team golf.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2024, 05:50:40 PM »
Wow what a day for the Internationals - down 5-0 after day one they just swept day 2 to even the match.  Fans going wild.  I LOVE team golf.

Matsuyama and Im were 8 under through 12!!
St. John of the Cross

Philippe Binette

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2024, 07:03:17 PM »
I played royal montreal before and after the Rees-toration...
Prefered the prior version...
Rees flatten the 11th fairway, inversed 12 and 13.. ruined the angle on the 16th (it used to be a diagonal tee shot over the lake
but mostly, the bunkers used to be flashed up sand really close to the greens (like 6-8 feet), which made the greens look tiny... with a bit of room to run the ball it... DL III call it a mini winged foot... 

The routing is good, especially the last 4 holes playing around the same lake

Philippe Binette

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2024, 07:55:28 PM »
It's parkland golf, the property is huge (45 holes). The blue (Presidents cup course) is a little flatter than the red course. The red is closer to the Dick wilson / joe lee design.

It's a nice place.for golf...but the access is complicated with a single bridge leading to ile.bizard island.
Surprised the players are staying downtown... it takes 1 hour at least to get to the course.... I thought the teams would have rented 2-3 mansions on the island to stay clos to the course

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2024, 09:04:57 PM »
It looks like there are 6+ courses on the island and another 5 right across the water?

Craig Sweet

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 12:06:08 AM »
I hate watching team golf for all the reasons mentioned....and it seems the viewing is 80% on the greens and 20% tee and fairway.   However, I really enjoy playing team golf!
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Matthew Rose

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 09:56:16 AM »
Is there anything worth restoring here? I'm not familiar enough with the original Wilson version apart from some photos in a World Atlas of Golf I have.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 12:10:40 PM »
Played it with Tom Doak.
I'm curious if he'll weigh in .... lol

Played it numerous times since 1992.
Thought it was a great driving course back in the 1990's
Banana shaped fairway corridors perplexed better players.

Walked it with Joe Lee just before his death.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:30:23 PM by Ian Andrew »
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Rob Marshall

« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 12:11:15 PM »
Love the 1 foot lower cut of rough around the greens. Frustrating to hit a decent shot and have it roll against a collar that’s taller than the ball.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tim Martin

« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 01:52:41 PM »
Would love to see one of the Stanley Thompson courses showcased for this event.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 02:37:44 PM »
I feel like with the LIV players unable to play, the depth of field in these team events are lacking.I am from Montreal, and even as a Montrealer I can't sell you Royal Montreal. It's alright. It's a course.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 04:25:22 PM »
I feel like with the LIV players unable to play, the depth of field in these team events are lacking.

Deeper fields don't mean better matches.
St. John of the Cross

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 04:34:40 PM »
It's at Kingston Heath in four years - so we all have that to look forward to.

David_Tepper

« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 06:40:04 PM »
Some of the most exciting golf I have ever seen, especially on a Saturday afternoon. ;)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 07:17:33 PM »
Some of the most exciting golf I have ever seen, especially on a Saturday afternoon. ;)

I'm with you David,

Not sure what more one could ask for.  Both teams taking big shots at each other and some incredible holed chips and putts from way downtown.

What a terrific day of golf!

P.S.  As a life long Warrior fan, Si Woo Kim got a huge dose of karma for the early call using Steph's night-night move, even if it was an epic chip in.

https://www.si.com/golf/si-woo-kim-clutch-flop-shot-dunk-leads-to-epic-steph-curry-night-night-celebration
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:33:42 PM by Kalen Braley »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back