News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

archie_struthers

Stonewall Elverson Pa
« on: Yesterday at 03:04:24 PM »
 ;D

Hello all ... heading back to Stonewall after a twenty year hiatus next month for a couple days of golf with a nice group. What's everybody's take on the golf course and facility in general ?

Ryan Book

Re: Stonewall Elverson Pa
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 03:31:58 PM »
The bunkers could use an update in aesthetic but I'm not prickly enough to deny the setting of the back nine, regardless of whether I (or Edmund Hillary) could walk it. Rarely intellectual, frequently fun.
"Cops are an abomination." - C.B. Macdonald and/or Jello Biafra

@BethpageBlackMetal

mike_malone

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 03:52:01 PM »
It has an aura.
AKA Mayday

archie_struthers

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 04:05:02 PM »
 8)

I'm not exactly skinny in my old age so will have to bring my best shoes for the walk . Caddied there and played a little in tournaments in my youth and the Old Course was one of the hardest greens for me to read . Never had problems like I did there reading greens . Interested to see if my skills are still tested to the max LOL

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 05:18:00 PM »
Stonewall's North Course is one of my favorite courses to play. I could play it every day and not get bored. The greens are wild. Plus, it's fun, strategic and interesting for both the low and high handicappers.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 08:31:33 PM »
Stonewall is a fave.

I’ve been fortunate to play both courses multiple times over the last 20 years.

Here are how my eyes and camera saw this 36 hole delight:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/StonewallOld_2023/index.html

And

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/StonewallNorth_October2023/index.html

JWB

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

MCirba

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 08:40:10 PM »
For my taste, a 10 round split between North and Old favors the former 7-3 or even  8-2.

I know that's a minority opinion but I really like the Old and simply think the North is one of the most underrated courses in the US, suffering the fate of being the 2nd course following a successful first.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Joe Bausch

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 09:14:48 PM »
For my taste, a 10 round split between North and Old favors the former 7-3 or even  8-2.

I know that's a minority opinion but I really like the Old and simply think the North is one of the most underrated courses in the US, suffering the fate of being the 2nd course following a successful first.

What he said.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 09:29:50 PM »

Mike, I would have my split just the opposite. The Old is such a good golf course. It requires good ball striking, well thought out strategy, and good putting. I felt the North had more mediocre holes, although I have only played it once, so I might have missed something.

Why are you so high on the North?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 11:31:42 PM »

Mike, I would have my split just the opposite. The Old is such a good golf course. It requires good ball striking, well thought out strategy, and good putting. I felt the North had more mediocre holes, although I have only played it once, so I might have missed something.

Why are you so high on the North?

Having not been on the property....
This could likely be a very clear indicator of the importance of routing as integral to design.
Tom inherited much of the Old routing - the North would be more Tom.
The client could have gotten better at their tasks too - providing a larger parcel.
peace
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back