News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Sims

What are you missing…
« on: Today at 11:25:03 AM »
…in your golf resume?

Some of us compete, travel to see courses, work in the industry, write, or just play locally. Part of why I like this site is all the different experiences. What are you missing in your personal list of experiences and/or accomplishments? Please keep your list to under five things. For me:

1) playing The Old Course. I’ve walked it now and that’s just not enough.

2) be on tournament greens crew at the Open and the PGA. I didn’t really think about it until recently, but being on the tournament greens crew at the Masters and the US Open, I think I’d like to get the grand slam.

3) become a sub-5 handicap. There’s something about being able to consistently play good golf that makes the game a bit more enjoyable.

4) play much, much more golf in the UK and Ireland. Two trips now and I think going every summer will be a fixture until I’m unable. It’s very special.

5) play at the home club of all my golf friends. It’s more rewarding than being an unaccompanied guest without question.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: What are you missing…
« Reply #1 on: Today at 12:06:29 PM »
When I was younger, I wanted to make the cut at either the Maryland Open or the Mid-Atlantic Open. I never did.

I was the stroke play club champion once, but I only made it to the finals in match play and never won.

I have not been to the Masters.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Brian Finn

« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:20:08 PM »
A few fairly specific items, which I plan to tackle in the relatively near future:

1. Play a bunch of links golf in Ireland & Northern Ireland - my first links round ever was at Portmarnock, but haven't played golf on Irish soil since - by far the biggest hole in my experience

2. Play in the Scottish Highlands - I have visited Scotland several times, covered most regions (including both big names and lesser-known courses), but never made it North of Cruden Bay

3. Play the "best of the best" in the US - I have played roughly half of any top 100 US list, but not many of the top 10-20 - beyond just wanting to see these great courses, I'm genuinely curious whether there really is a significant gap in quality.

4. Attend the Open Championship - I've been to the Masters, US Open, and PGA several times each, and figure I ought to get to at least one Open.  While it is my favorite of the majors, I have opted to spend my limited time in GB&I playing links golf and not watching it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A couple more that I have in mind, but it may take a while before I can really consider them:

5. Play the top 100 links courses, play every links course - I am not a list chaser, because pretty much every list has at least a few courses that I'm not terribly interested in visiting - BUT - any list of links courses, particularly those best regarded, would seem a fun one to give a shot.

6. Play in Australia & New Zealand - I imagine it will probably take multiple trips (of 2+ weeks at a time) to see what I would like (golf and non-golf) - cost and time limitations put this out several years for me.
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Bruce Katona

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:26:32 PM »
1. I'd like to play Cypress Point
2. I'd like to attend the Masters.
3. I'd like to Plsy AGNC.
4. i'd like to play Fishers.
5. I'd like to and likely will play in the UK/NI.
6. I'll get to an Open.
7. I'D LIKE TO MAKE A HOLE IN ONE!

George Pazin

« Reply #4 on: Today at 01:43:59 PM »
I'm missing pretty much everything - EXCEPT the hole in one  :)  - but as far as things related to this site, the one thing I really wanted and expected to do was take a couple weeks, maybe a month, and go work on the construction of a golf course.

That will be on my bucket list for as long as I'm around.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

DFarron

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:54:08 PM »
1. Qualify for a PGA Tour Champions/US Senior Open
2. Replay all the great courses that I played as a younger man that I didn’t really appreciate at the time (Inverness, Muirfield Village, Oakland Hills etc )
3. Play Seminole, Crystal Downs, Augusta, Pine Valley and LACC North.

After that I’m good. Have been incredibly blessed to have played all over and with a lot of cool people. I’m very humbled and greatful!

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #6 on: Today at 03:08:31 PM »
…in your golf resume?

3) become a sub-5 handicap. There’s something about being able to consistently play good golf that makes the game a bit more enjoyable.

It's not hard to become a sub 5 hdcp, playing to it is another matter....

Ben Sims

« Reply #7 on: Today at 04:00:25 PM »
I'm missing pretty much everything - EXCEPT the hole in one  :)  - but as far as things related to this site, the one thing I really wanted and expected to do was take a couple weeks, maybe a month, and go work on the construction of a golf course.

That will be on my bucket list for as long as I'm around.

George,

In what seems like another life now, there was a brief moment in time where I was thinking of my post-military life being in the golf construction or turf world. In that time I was invited to help work at Dismal River with Don and his crew, and also to tag along with Brian Slawnik a bit. It was 10 days I’ll never forget. One, because it was a alot of fun and a lot of camaraderie and I feel like I saw behind the curtain for a millisecond. Two, because it’s a life I can’t really see myself having enjoyed once the initial novelty wore off. Those guys work their asses off. In lonely places. In many ways it was like being deployed in the military.

Ben Sims

« Reply #8 on: Today at 04:02:33 PM »
…in your golf resume?

It's not hard to become a sub 5 hdcp, playing to it is another matter....

That’s a fact. I’m glad my home course is hard for that reason. Lots of vanity 5’s and 4’s out there. Playing by the rules and holing out helps a lot. 

Ira Fishman

« Reply #9 on: Today at 04:31:58 PM »
Ben,

Another interesting question.

1. Learn how to read a topo map.
2. Caddy in the Walker Cup, Curtis Cup, or Palmer Cup.
3. Have a clue about how drainage actually works.
4. Play a few of my favorites one more time.
5. Not conclude that a MacKenzie bag makes no financial sense.

Ira

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #10 on: Today at 05:21:42 PM »
#1: More rounds with lifelong friends-no matter the venue.

#2: An ace. Again, the course wouldn't matter. I think I'm owed one by this point.
I've witnessed my non-golfing brother score two. Each one involved one-three contacts with a tree or cart path before finding the hole. What a cruel game.

#3: (An increasingly fleeting goal): Visit GB&I.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #11 on: Today at 06:58:48 PM »
I'd like to move to Ireland, join a club, live out my remaining year over there. ....I'm working on it. 
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Matthew Lloyd

« Reply #12 on: Today at 08:10:23 PM »
Great question. In no particular order:

1. Take golf trips to Ireland, Scotland and England. This is the most glaring gap on my resume. Some other countries and continents would be great too - but those I’d consider a bonus. The British isles golf feels essential to me.

2. Be a member of a club where I can play golf with my future dog(s). This is most important to me - and I hope that Kingsley never changes their pro-dog policy.

3. Play a round of golf in every state. I don’t intend to go out of my way to accomplish this - but it’s something I’d like to do over time without straining to make the effort. (I plan to visit Alaska for bear watching at some point and will fit golf in as Anchorage looks fun based on posts here)

4. Find more opportunities to wear my “ivy patchwork” hogan style golf hat. I love this hat but I find that it puts way too much pressure on me to perform well on the course. It’s almost as much pressure as showing up wearing white pants.

5. Stay in great shape like my dad and his longtime golfing companions who are still taking trips in their mid-80s. That is not a gap in my resume I suppose since it’s something you slowly work towards - but I hope this never becomes a gap.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back