News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Stephens

Re: Overrated Courses
« Reply #75 on: Yesterday at 03:19:59 PM »
Delamere Forest is the one on Sean’s list that surprised me - I have it as underrated (only sneaking in to the occasional GB&I Top-100)…

Don’t give me “the greens aren’t interesting”. There may not be a lot of internal contour but they’re plenty interesting and the greens are sited very well (I.e. using natural features in the routing).

I'm not taking sides re Delamere, but the one thing that has always astounded me is that Fowler built it, with its rather flat greens, at almost exactly the same time as he did Beau Desert, which has greens that are quite opposite!

Could there be any chance that the greens have been 'neutered' at DF since Fowler's time?

Possibly, but (a) I've never heard any such suggestion and (b) when at any time since Delamere was built has there been enough money in British golf to justify a club like Delamere, which does well enough but I'm sure isn't exactly rich rebuilding all its greens?

You never know at times greenkeepers or clubs have 'flattened' some part of the greens to allow for more playable pin positions or nature has moved the ground over time. Didn't M+E work at Delamere recently if so would be interested to see their historical research of the course.

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #76 on: Yesterday at 03:24:05 PM »
I'm really enjoying both of these threads. This one makes me think about the strong difference between consensus opinions vs niche preferences. I've written about how I wish golf course reviews were more like film reviews. Even in the most universally acclaimed films, there are plenty of reviewers that don't love them. So, if we're using the golf course rankings/ratings to help us find places we ought to play, it might be better to find a critic that aligns with our own preferences, rather than chasing down consensus opinions that we will inevitable disappoint us.

In my region, I think TPC Harding Park is overrated.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:26:29 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Sean_A

« Reply #77 on: Yesterday at 03:38:15 PM »
I'm really enjoying both of these threads. This one makes me think about the strong difference between consensus opinions vs niche preferences. I've written about how I wish golf course reviews were more like film reviews. Even in the most universally acclaimed films, there are plenty of reviewers that don't love them. So, if we're using the golf course rankings/ratings to help us find places we ought to play, it might be better to find a critic that aligns with our own preferences, rather than chasing down consensus opinions that we will inevitable disappoint us.

Sure, I think many people rely on individual opinion over consensus rankings to help figure out where to play.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Carl Nichols

« Reply #78 on: Yesterday at 03:40:03 PM »
I'm in absolute shock that they are getting $475 for Firestone South.

Not worth it and I love the place

Isn't Firestone private, so that's something like an unaccompanied guest rate? 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #79 on: Yesterday at 03:52:50 PM »
I think the fundamental problem GCA.com has with these kinds of threads is context and/or easily getting lost in the weeds.

For example, Sand Hills could be overrated where it sits at #11 on the Golf Mag list, but if it were #50, the howls would be far louder that its underrated.  But the actual "truth" is, whether its 11 or 50, its still among the elite in either spot.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #80 on: Yesterday at 04:20:33 PM »
Turnberry :)

Recently played Turnberry so I can say that I have played the Mackenzie Ross and Martin Ebert versions.

What makes you say it is overrated?

Hi Ben!

I played both versions as well (Albeit, only the one time each). I didn't find any of the greens really worthy of study, and didn't feel there were any holes that you could argue might make an all UK eclectic (maybe 10 or 15 if you were clutching at straws). Strategically, it doesn't feel quite on the same level as a Muirfield or the variety of a Royal St Georges, which is kind of the ratings that it's playing within, and I don't love the routing and how it only tackles the coastline in one direction and all at once. Views are great; it's a very good links course, but I would happily take Brancaster, Cruden Bay, Machrihanish, or Rye over Turnberry - all of which are rated much lower.

Curious on your thoughts of the course.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #81 on: Yesterday at 04:23:10 PM »

Sure, I think many people rely on individual opinion over consensus rankings to help figure out where to play.

Ciao

Yep. There are several people here whose judgment I trust more than the magazine rankings. Sean being one of them. I never would have had the pleasure of playing a bunch of UK&I courses if I had not paid attention to several of the posters here.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #82 on: Yesterday at 05:28:19 PM »
Delamere Forest is the one on Sean’s list that surprised me - I have it as underrated (only sneaking in to the occasional GB&I Top-100)…

Don’t give me “the greens aren’t interesting”. There may not be a lot of internal contour but they’re plenty interesting and the greens are sited very well (I.e. using natural features in the routing).

I'm not taking sides re Delamere, but the one thing that has always astounded me is that Fowler built it, with its rather flat greens, at almost exactly the same time as he did Beau Desert, which has greens that are quite opposite!

Could there be any chance that the greens have been 'neutered' at DF since Fowler's time?

Possibly, but (a) I've never heard any such suggestion and (b) when at any time since Delamere was built has there been enough money in British golf to justify a club like Delamere, which does well enough but I'm sure isn't exactly rich rebuilding all its greens?

You never know at times greenkeepers or clubs have 'flattened' some part of the greens to allow for more playable pin positions or nature has moved the ground over time. Didn't M+E work at Delamere recently if so would be interested to see their historical research of the course.

‘Some part’ yes but a rebuild of all the greens? Inconceivable
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Matthew Lloyd

« Reply #83 on: Yesterday at 05:41:28 PM »
I want to correct myself re Firestone South. I must have spoken to an operative that gave me incorrect info. The rate with the required overnight stay is closer to $275. That’s still very expensive - but nowhere near the other amount.

Hope this makes people feel better. It certainly makes me feel better as somebody who does want to get back there at some point as an Ohio native.

Mike Worth

« Reply #84 on: Yesterday at 06:17:41 PM »
I think the fundamental problem GCA.com has with these kinds of threads is context and/or easily getting lost in the weeds.

For example, Sand Hills could be overrated where it sits at #11 on the Golf Mag list, but if it were #50, the howls would be far louder that its underrated.  But the actual "truth" is, whether its 11 or 50, its still among the elite in either spot.

this is an excellent point. I’ve wanted to comment for sometime, but couldn’t actually think of a course I felt was overrated. 

And then it finally came to me:

Lofoten.

Kevin Stark

« Reply #85 on: Yesterday at 07:49:55 PM »
I'll say it -- Pebble Beach. A lot of forgettable holes that you wouldn't remember at all if they weren't located in the most spectacular setting on the planet.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #86 on: Yesterday at 09:21:43 PM »
I'll say it -- Pebble Beach. A lot of forgettable holes that you wouldn't remember at all if they weren't located in the most spectacular setting on the planet.

Kevin, can’t argue with your opinion but I will tell you I can still remember every club I hit on every shot when I played Pebble well over 10 years ago. Couldn’t do the same for any other round of golf I’ve played.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

DFarron

« Reply #87 on: Yesterday at 10:02:33 PM »

Kevin, can’t argue with your opinion but I will tell you I can still remember every club I hit on every shot when I played Pebble well over 10 years ago. Couldn’t do the same for any other round of golf I’ve played.

I can’t wait until I can get back there to play even at $675 or whatever it is. Haven’t played there in about 25 years but love the place so much I spent my honeymoon there !

Kevin Stark

« Reply #88 on: Yesterday at 10:41:27 PM »

I should clarify...the majority of the holes are all-world. The others are uninspired IMO beyond their setting. 1, 2, 13, 15, and 16 are meh to me. A top 10 course in the world shouldn't have that much meh.

Richard Fisher

« Reply #89 on: Today at 04:48:46 AM »
Always fun to see this sort of disagreement about what I guess are generally numbers 75 - 125 in most GB rankings... I think I like both Broadstone and Delamere more than Sean does, but the one inland course which in rating terms continues to puzzle me a bit is Hankley Common. A lovely place for a game, but one of the top half-dozen venues inland in the UK? Really? Better and more interesting than Alwoodley or Hollinwell?
My really heretical rating thoughts on GCA are, I guess, Dornoch, but I have only ever played two rounds there so doubtless have much to learn and to some extent Pennard, where I have played a bit more and where I had the marmite view thereof within Wales confirmed again only the other day, talking to some participants in the recent Welsh Open Seniors champs there.
Underrated nowadays, emphatically (although not on this site) remains RND Westward Ho! with as Ran says about the greatest variety of hazard of any golf course in the UK.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #90 on: Today at 05:40:38 AM »
Always fun to see this sort of disagreement about what I guess are generally numbers 75 - 125 in most GB rankings... I think I like both Broadstone and Delamere more than Sean does, but the one inland course which in rating terms continues to puzzle me a bit is Hankley Common. A lovely place for a game, but one of the top half-dozen venues inland in the UK? Really? Better and more interesting than Alwoodley or Hollinwell?

As we discussed about Hankley recently, I don't think it is particularly puzzling why some people rate it so highly. They are very clearly rating beauty over architecture. Hankley when the heather is in bloom is a pretty close approximation of Paradise. But I hope the golf is better in heaven  :)
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Niall C

« Reply #91 on: Today at 07:42:18 AM »

‘Some part’ yes but a rebuild of all the greens? Inconceivable

Adam,

I wouldn't say it is inconceivable. If at some point they were having problems with the greens, it's possible they just rebuilt them over several years using the greenkeeping team, which possibly would explain why they don't have much contour.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back