News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Jeffersonville GC ( '31, Ross) in West Norriton, PA Muni
« on: September 18, 2024, 11:13:58 AM »
How this $80 Ross muni transformed into a Philadelphia gem...Author:Jack Hirsh
Jeffersonville Golf Club, with a peak rate of just $80 on the weekends (with or without a cart), features prominently on GOLF’s first list of America’s best golf courses you can play for $100 or less.
But its transformation from a dried-out, non-descript public course to one of the country’s best values didn’t happen overnight.
It started in 2013 with a bunker restoration on the 3rd hole. Schilling brought in Tyler Rae, a previous protege of Pritchard, to help with the shaping. He also assisted on similar projects on Nos. 5 and 17. Other small enhancements have been made over the past decade.
“A lot of tree removal, hundreds of trees. Bunker complexes. New fairway cut lines, “A lot of tree removal, hundreds of trees. Bunker complexes. New fairway cut lines, simplifying the lines, bringing it back to the original,” Schilling said. “Everything’s straight lines rather than these contours around things which, you know, wouldn’t have been done back in the ’30s.”
 The course did 50,000 rounds in 2023 and is on pace to do so again this year.

Also this year, the club opened a brand new $12 million clubhouse, complete with new restaurants, banquet spaces, a fully-stocked pro shop and six Trackman golf simulators in the basement known as “The Stables” a nod to the site’s history as a horse racing track, which is a theme throughout the facility.
Read more:
https://golf.com/travel/jeffersonville-transformation/

Also, I remember a meeting with Brad Klein and Ron Prichard at the old club house in the 1970s to discuss a renovation of this Ross gem . I played there many times before the renovation by Tyler Rae. I'd like to play there now after looking at the picture in the article. When I return to Philly some day, I will.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2024, 11:48:55 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Jeffersonville GC ( '31, Ross) in West Norriton, PA Muni
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2024, 02:45:41 PM »
Jeffersonville is listed here:
https://golf.com/travel/america-best-golf-courses-100-less/
Jeffersonville
Norristown, Pa.
Donald Ross, 1931
$80 Jeffersonville Golf Club in Norristown, Pa.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2024, 02:49:20 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

MCirba

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2024, 11:43:37 AM »
Terrific course with lots of loving attention and full tee sheets since Ron Prichard's restoration, continuously improved since then by a terrific Superintendent.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2024, 04:42:09 PM »
   Jeffersonville is a terrific course. Renovations are great, and it’s always in good shape. As good as any B+ private club in Philly. For a senior, I think it’s $45, which includes cart and unlimited warmup time on their virtual golf screen with data feedback. A bargain at twice the price.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back