News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Lloyd

Chambers Bay advice
« on: August 21, 2024, 08:38:57 PM »

Interested to get some thoughts and advice while planning a trip to Chambers Bay, something I hope to do in the next 12 months, and maybe as soon as this fall.

This new thread is posted reluctantly, as I know Chambers Bay has been discussed at length in this forum. But much of that dialogue appeared to be a heated discussion about the course's merits or value as a civic project back around the time of the 2015 U.S. Open.

My interest is primarily in figuring out the best time of year to go, but have some other questions as well. I'll explain my goals as clearly as possible to help any responses - THANKS IN ADVANCE for any tips and suggestions, it's greatly appreciated.

Rounds of golf: the plan is to play 3x (they offer a three round "membership" which I would likely do); not interested in the "Championship Experience" with Home and Gold Mountain included; hope to play those eventually; but would like to get a variety of rounds at Chambers Bay (different tees and starting times) first.

Preferred weather: I'd prefer to play in cooler, cloudier, linksy weather if possible, and don't mind rain at all; does this take June to August off the table entirely?

*** I live on the west coast so as long as tee times are available I can schedule on fairly short notice ***

is 36 in a single day a horrible idea?  I don't own a car and walk 10-12 miles per day so a "tough walk" means nothing to me. Though 36 in a day at Chambers might still be a bad idea for other reasons.

Time of day: I'd love to see the course in the late afternoon light at least once; but is pace of play as bad as I've heard in the afternoons?  I generally don't mind slow play - especially at a place like Chambers Bay where the scenery is great; but worried that the six hour round rumors can be reality. My hope was to play a daybreak round; a late morning round and an early afternoon round if possible.

Ok I think that's it. Thanks in advance for any insights from those who've made the trek before.

Ben Sims

Re: Chambers Bay advice
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2024, 08:45:22 PM »
Matthew,

I lived in University Place for nearly three years. I’ll preface my advice by saying that summer truly begins in earnest by later June and those conditions kind of hang around more or less till mid-September. Gloomy conditions seemed pretty pervasive by Thanksgiving, if not Halloween. Breaking from gloomy to just rainy (there’s a difference in my opinion) was usually Feb to March. The single best weather day I ever had for golf at Chambers Bay was Super Bowl Sunday, 2013. I played a number of rainy-but-awesome rounds in March to April timeframe both at CB and Fircrest.

We have many Pac NWers here that can correct me.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 08:47:09 PM by Ben Sims »

Matthew Lloyd

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2024, 08:52:15 PM »
Ben, thanks a lot for the intel. Completely agree on the gloomy v. rainy distinction.

Brent Carlson

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2024, 09:24:46 PM »

Interested to get some thoughts and advice while planning a trip to Chambers Bay, something I hope to do in the next 12 months, and maybe as soon as this fall.

This new thread is posted reluctantly, as I know Chambers Bay has been discussed at length in this forum. But much of that dialogue appeared to be a heated discussion about the course's merits or value as a civic project back around the time of the 2015 U.S. Open.

My interest is primarily in figuring out the best time of year to go, but have some other questions as well. I'll explain my goals as clearly as possible to help any responses - THANKS IN ADVANCE for any tips and suggestions, it's greatly appreciated.

Rounds of golf: the plan is to play 3x (they offer a three round "membership" which I would likely do); not interested in the "Championship Experience" with Home and Gold Mountain included; hope to play those eventually; but would like to get a variety of rounds at Chambers Bay (different tees and starting times) first.

Preferred weather: I'd prefer to play in cooler, cloudier, linksy weather if possible, and don't mind rain at all; does this take June to August off the table entirely?

First off Ben gave you great info.  If you want cool and cloudy don't play until Oct 1 IMO.  That being said the course is firmer in the summer.

*** I live on the west coast so as long as tee times are available I can schedule on fairly short notice ***

is 36 in a single day a horrible idea?  I don't own a car and walk 10-12 miles per day so a "tough walk" means nothing to me. Though 36 in a day at Chambers might still be a bad idea for other reasons.

It's a hard walk no doubt.  That being said based on your fitness level it should be no problem.

Time of day: I'd love to see the course in the late afternoon light at least once; but is pace of play as bad as I've heard in the afternoons?  I generally don't mind slow play - especially at a place like Chambers Bay where the scenery is great; but worried that the six hour round rumors can be reality. My hope was to play a daybreak round; a late morning round and an early afternoon round if possible.

When I had the annual pass pace of play was bad.  We tried to play before 7AM.  I would play twilight nines also and they weren't too crowded, but that was back in the day.

Ok I think that's it. Thanks in advance for any insights from those who've made the trek before.

Enjoy.  It's one of my favorite designs anywhere.

Cal Carlisle

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2024, 09:17:00 AM »
Brent,

I went on a misty, overcast April mornining and was paired up with a couple of local guys from Tacoma. I don't think the walk is terribly difficult especially when combined with the temperatures in the 50's. Where you could run into trouble is if you have to go off the beaten bath to play an errant shot that is rolled way downhill. As a 50 year old with a "Dad Bod" I could have easily taken a lunch break and gone out for another 18.

I was particularly struck by the friendliness of everyone that worked there. They took a lot of pride in providing a good experience. If I had the time I would have played another 18, but I knew I wouldn't have made it back to Seattle in time for dinner with my wife. I highly recommend it.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2024, 06:09:20 PM »
Portland guy here.

I'd go in the fall. You can get wild weather in the spring, of course, but grass around here doesn't always come to life quickly in the spring and I would want the best possible turf conditions I could get at Chambers.

October or November. Just my two bits.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Brent Carlson

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2024, 09:42:52 AM »
Brent,

I went on a misty, overcast April mornining and was paired up with a couple of local guys from Tacoma. I don't think the walk is terribly difficult especially when combined with the temperatures in the 50's. Where you could run into trouble is if you have to go off the beaten bath to play an errant shot that is rolled way downhill. As a 50 year old with a "Dad Bod" I could have easily taken a lunch break and gone out for another 18.

I was particularly struck by the friendliness of everyone that worked there. They took a lot of pride in providing a good experience. If I had the time I would have played another 18, but I knew I wouldn't have made it back to Seattle in time for dinner with my wife. I highly recommend it.

Cal,

I don't think it's terrible either but many visitors have told me it's a hard walk.  I've played 54 in a day with no problems but it is about 8 miles plus a decent amount of vertical.  Yes the staff is friendly.  Really fun place.

Matthew Lloyd

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2024, 09:29:50 AM »
Thank you for all this feedback. My interest in making the trip has only increased.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2024, 10:30:09 AM »
Chambers is a hard walk, but that won't be the issue with playing 36 for a fit person. I just can't figure out how you'd reliably plan to fit 36 into a single 10.5 hour day in October when the groups ahead of you will be struggling to hold a 5 hour pace.

It's a cool course. Well worth multiple plays. I just think planning rounds on a tight schedule there is a fool's errand.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Rick Sides

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2024, 08:42:07 AM »
Matt played it late August last year around 2 pm. It was a good walk but not grueling . Really don’t need a caddy because the course is in front of you . It was truly one of my favorite courses because you see water on all 18 holes . I suggest an October round in afternoon and get dinner and cocktail after on the patio overlooking the sound . Just a great experience !!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back