News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne_Kozun

The forecast is calling for strong winds with gusts over 40 mph. They have revised the course preparation and are letting the greens grow a bit more and putting some water on them.
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/aig-womens-british-open-old-course-st-andrews-nasty-weather-forecast-changing-course-strategy

Matt Schoolfield

Re: Women's Open at the Old Course tomorrow should be interesting
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2024, 05:25:13 PM »
I'm so stoked for this tournament. The women will be playing much more reasonable distances off the tee, and inclement weather always adds to the spiciness. I can't wait to see a bunch of stingers and run ups, as if they were playing hickories.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Craig Sweet

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2024, 05:41:00 PM »
I have a feeling if it's as cold and windy as they are predicting that it will be a s#it show...
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Michael Felton

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2024, 06:45:41 PM »
I can't wait to see a bunch of stingers and run ups, as if they were playing hickories.

Not on the first though - I can see that being suboptimal. Should be fun though :)

Jason Thurman

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2024, 06:46:19 PM »
Sounds lit.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2024, 07:56:59 PM »
Thursday morning's golf is on the USA channel (not the Golf Channel), 4:00am to 11:00am Pacific Coast time.

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Joe Bausch

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2024, 05:52:30 AM »
Radio coverage is quite good (and more coverage than USA network provides):

https://www.randa.tv/live/263250
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Craig Sweet

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2024, 10:10:52 AM »
Are the NBC commentators contractually obligated to say "the home of golf" every 30 seconds?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2024, 11:53:51 AM »
Are the NBC commentators contractually obligated to say "the home of golf" every 30 seconds?
I didn't realize that they were playing at Musselburgh this week!

David_Tepper

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2024, 03:06:34 PM »
The three-some of Hull, Korda & Vu put on quite a show today. Collectively 12-under par!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2024, 11:25:49 AM »
Its available, ad free, here...   (UK ONLY?)

https://www.randa.tv/live/259266?showInterstitial=false

« Last Edit: August 23, 2024, 11:31:01 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2024, 11:28:41 AM »
No go from the Canadian colony.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2024, 12:28:51 PM »
The sign-up procedure for that is an utter pile.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2024, 01:03:57 PM »
I had no idea that gigantic earmuffs would play so prominently in the broadcast, but I hope Grant is at least being sponsored by that brand.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Thomas Dai

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2024, 01:06:26 PM »
There appears to be a distinct element of clothes-horse and talking heads chat show to this Open. A trend that seems to be ever increasing. Rather sad.
Where once there was a sporting event ………..
Atb

Craig Sweet

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2024, 01:19:22 PM »
There's definitely a lot of chatting...I have watched two days with volume off.  The golf speaks for itself.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2024, 01:34:20 PM »
There appears to be a distinct element of clothes-horse and talking heads chat show to this Open. A trend that seems to be ever increasing. Rather sad.
Where once there was a sporting event ………..
Atb
A sentiment as old as time. All broadcast (and most live) sport is primarily entertainment focused, combine with a passive commercial for equipment and gear.

One of the unique bits of history in pro cycling is they way the century-old sponsorships are still part of the sport. The tour's yellow jersey being a sponsorship from a pre-ww1 sports paper (now defunct after collaboration with the nazis in ww2), and the polka dot jersey being from a chocolate brand. Wrigley Field in Chicago is named after, yes, the chewing gum manufacture.

We're not the customer, we're the product, etc., and we always have been. The least we can do is try and have a bit of fun with it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2024, 01:39:31 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Thomas Dai

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2024, 01:51:24 PM »
I disagree in relation to golf Matt, or rather golf in the UK (maybe almost everywhere except the USA?). It’s only in the last handful of years that this sort of trend of vast numbers of talking heads, celeb involvement, social media output, close-horse advertising etc etc has magnified within golf. Prior to this things were much more gentile and traditional. Whether, as some might suspect, this is a deliberate and relatively recent strategy by the R&A etc for money making reasons can be argued but I’m far from convinced it was the situation a few years ago.
Atb

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2024, 02:18:16 PM »
I find it interesting that while America is generally far more commercial and permissive of advertising, that this has not been the case in professional sports.
Two examples are sideboard advertising and advertising on jerseys.   Sideboard advertising has been in European football  for a very long time, and was in European hockey since the 60s or 70s.  But it came to North America much later, in the 1980s.  In 1972 Canada played a famous hockey series vs the USSR and the communist Soviets had advertising on the boards but capitalist Canada did not.

Same thing with advertising on the walls for baseball - this was prevalent 100 years ago, but went away for decades until reappearing in the last couple of decades.  When I grew up watching baseball in the 1970s the outfield walls had no advertising.

Same thing with logos on jerseys.  It would be unthinkable to have "Carlsberg" or "AIG" be much more prominent than the teams logo in North American sports but that has been accepted in European football forever.  It is only recently that NBA teams allowed small advertising patches on one corner of the jersey.  And European hockey uniforms are extremely cluttered with advertising whereas there is much less in the NHL and that is also very recent.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2024, 02:51:37 PM »
So, they disqualified a player because her caddie used a range finder on a couple of holes. Interesting local rule.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

David_Tepper

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2024, 03:16:03 PM »
"I disagree in relation to golf Matt, or rather golf in the UK (maybe almost everywhere except the USA?). It’s only in the last handful of years that this sort of trend of vast numbers of talking heads, celeb involvement, social media output, close-horse advertising etc etc has magnified within golf. Prior to this things were much more gentile and traditional."

Are you sure about that? How long has the R&A staged a "tented village" to commercialize the Open championship? Didn't the BBC broadcast 7 series of Around with Alliss, a celebrity driven golf show, from 1979 to 1986 (a total of over 40 shows)?

Funny how time can cloud one's memories.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2024, 04:08:03 PM »
Funny how time can cloud one's memories.
Bollocks!
Atb

David_Tepper

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2024, 04:12:29 PM »
And nostalgia isn't what it used to be! ;)

Jason Thurman

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2024, 02:24:54 PM »
Freakin' exceptional tournament. Just a masterful inward 9 from Lydia.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back