News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Rudovsky

Terry Inslee
« on: August 20, 2024, 09:11:38 PM »
Just learned that Terry passed away on 8/16.  Terry was a wonderful wonderful guy whom I first met around 2010.  I think he ended up playing something like 3500-4000 different courses, mostly in USA.  He shall be missed...

Matthew Lloyd

Re: Terry Inslee
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2024, 09:22:12 PM »
Had the good fortune to randomly meet Mr. Inslee in northern Michigan in the last couple years inside a clubhouse post round. He was such a nice man. A lot of fun to talk to about his various golfing travels. Very sorry to hear this news.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2024, 09:23:55 PM »
I loved Terry Inslee. I spoke with him about two weeks ago, and he was having heart issues. I played Tree Farm and Old Barnwell with him in April; he felt good then. Terry collected friends and was a good friend to everyone he met. Terry loved the game and loved to play different courses. I will miss him.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/terry-inslee-course-panelist
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2024, 10:24:35 PM »
I never met Terry but I heard so many stories about him I felt like I knew him.

He will always be a legend on the Golf Digest panel.

Peace to his family and friends,

WW

Steve Lapper

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2024, 10:33:00 AM »
I had the good fortune of playing with Terry several times and always enjoyed his company. He had a wonderful demeanor and demonstrated the exactly the right reasons for belonging to a rating panel. He had a thirst to see anything and everything. He was a good man. R.I.P.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2024, 03:03:31 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2024, 06:33:32 PM »
Terry is a legend at Golf Digest. He kept some data on miles driven and it was probably close to a million miles.  I played with him a couple of times.  He wasn't a fan of classic architecture (he called it the old stuff).

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2024, 10:00:27 AM »
Terry is a legend at Golf Digest. He kept some data on miles driven and it was probably close to a million miles.  I played with him a couple of times.  He wasn't a fan of classic architecture (he called it the old stuff).

He was the ultimate Golf Digest panelist but he wan't a fan of the old stuff???

I was wondering how I never met him, but apparently we didn't like to hang out in the same places!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2024, 10:06:40 AM »
Even I played with the dude. RIP

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2024, 10:10:10 AM »
Did he popularize the practice of putting pins on a map indicating where he played?

Lou_Duran

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2024, 10:22:54 AM »
By coincidence and good fortune, I was paired with Terry in 2006 at Barton Creek's Canyons course.  He was there on behalf of GD; I was a rater at that time with brand X.  It was his second round of the day, and during a slow afternoon on the course, I was happily regaled with stories of his extensive travels and incredible golf experiences.  We communicated several times over the years, but I was never able to accept his invitation to visit his home course while he was there.  I know that he was a big Fazio fan, but I didn't get the sense of a bias against classic architecture.  His passing is a large loss to GD and many in the golfing community.  Condolences to his family and friends.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2024, 11:47:13 AM »
Did he popularize the practice of putting pins on a map indicating where he played?

No, but he had a spreadsheet that could rival Paul Rudovsky's.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mark_Fine

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2024, 12:21:32 PM »
Very sad to hear.  I always enjoyed my rounds with Terry.  We had some great discussions about golf course design.  Maybe he knew how much I loved the classics so he didn’t down play them as much to me.  I known he did love the modern designs. 

David_Tepper

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2024, 12:36:05 PM »

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2024, 05:02:53 PM »

He was the ultimate Golf Digest panelist but he wan't a fan of the old stuff???

I was wondering how I never met him, but apparently we didn't like to hang out in the same places!

He was close friends with Jim Engh.  I'm surprised the three of you never partied together.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2024, 01:09:58 AM »

He was close friends with Jim Engh.  I'm surprised the three of you never partied together.

Yeah, that explains some things.

Personally, my thought is that panelists should not become friends with architects, because it erodes their objectivity. It’s one of the reasons I have been standoffish to other architects and to panelists in various situations.  But then there are the people who were friends before they were panelists.

David Wuthrich

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2024, 09:44:08 AM »
Terry was one of the good guys!  From the first time I met him at Black Diamond to the last time we got together, he was the same great person.  You will be missed my friend!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back