News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Roths

Best Opening Tee Shot in Golf
« on: August 01, 2024, 03:28:07 PM »
I was asked this the other day and I think the first two are set but maybe a surprise for third:

1. Machrihanish
2. Sheep Ranch
3. WBYC
4. Pasa
5. ?

Matt Schoolfield

Re: Best Opening Tee Shot in Golf
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2024, 03:43:42 PM »
For me, and there is a lot of nostalgia here, it will always be the opening hole at Lions Muni on a busy day. It's not a beautiful hole, it's not the most technical (you won't even be hitting a driver), but the way the practice greens are stacked on top of the tee box means you'll have to deal with real nerves -- even for an fairly straightforward shot. I think the first at TOC during high season is a good parallel to that feeling.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Scott Weersing

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2024, 03:45:14 PM »
Here is a previous thread about best opening shot:

Let's discuss opening holes - what are the best and are they important?

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2024, 10:13:32 AM »
I wouldn't call it the best opening tee shot, but the most exciting and fun tee shot is the first at The Sanctuary. I am playing it again in two weeks and will post a picture.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mark Mammel

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2024, 10:17:18 AM »
Sadly I haven't played Sheep Ranch, but I'd put the opener at Sand Hills high on the list!
So much golf to play, so little time....

Mark

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2024, 10:22:13 AM »
Sadly I haven't played Sheep Ranch, but I'd put the opener at Sand Hills high on the list!

What's fun about the shot at Sheep Ranch is trying to use the speed slot. I'll second the one at Sand Hills.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

David Wuthrich

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2024, 10:53:57 AM »
Tobacco Road might be the scariest, through the chute.

I like all the ones mentioned.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2024, 11:14:02 AM »
Prestwick will always have a special place in my heart. It's the only opening tee where I've contemplated taking putter off the tee to keep it below the wall line  ;D

Tim Gallant

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2024, 11:20:37 AM »
Also, shout out to Hoylake's 1st (for members). Clubhouse patio left? Internal OB right? It's so mad it just might work :)

Mike Wagner

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2024, 11:30:56 AM »
I was asked this the other day and I think the first two are set but maybe a surprise for third:

1. Machrihanish
2. Sheep Ranch
3. WBYC
4. Pasa
5. ?

Trails

Mark Mammel

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2024, 11:44:53 AM »
I also like the first at Ballybunion. Have to like a cemetery in play for the bad shot! Playing there a few years ago there was a funeral going on. The club determined it was not disrespectful to play on.
So much golf to play, so little time....

Mark

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2024, 01:54:31 PM »
   Dan Jenkins declared Merion the best first hole in the US back in the ‘60’s. A lot has changed

Thomas Dai

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2024, 02:11:44 PM »
TOC.
The anticipation. The aura. The nerves. The memory.
Atb

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2024, 03:57:35 PM »
Some folks like a well-heeled crowd within bad-breath distance. For them, Merion

Some folks like a football field in front, that you can still miss, in the cradel of golf. For them, St. Andrews Old

Some folks like their home club and they never leave it. For them, their home club

Some folks like a resort where they spent a wonderful week with their besties. For them, that place

Some folks like a course where they learned the game with a departed ancestor. For them, Nostalgia National

For a nor'easter, playing a desert course for the first time will leave them agape. For a sou'wester, same for a verdant mountain course. For a midAmerica flatlander, hitting a links along the coast is frighteningly fun; for a coastal snob, finding a brilliant opener is Iowa, or the Dakotas, or Indiana, is unexpected.

There is no best opening shot, and it's high time that we stop naming threads in that manner. Instead, how about "Which opening tee shot do you love/leave you gobsmacked and why?"
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back