News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Mayhugh

USGA Junior Amateur at Oakland Hills - Luke Colton
« on: July 25, 2024, 01:14:03 PM »
This week, the USGA Junior Amateur is being contested at Oakland Hills. For those (like me) who would like to see more of the courses, there will be streaming and tv available on both Friday and Saturday.

Jim Colton's son, Luke, has made it through to the round of 16 and will be playing his next match at 1:50 today.
https://championships.usga.org/usjunioramateur/2024/scoring.html

Rumor has it that Luke enjoys golf course architecture and is a particular fan of a course in Colorado - mainly because he doesn't have to carry his bag from the 18th green to the clubhouse anymore.

Matt_Cohn

Re: USGA Junior Amateur at Oakland Hills - Luke Colton
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2024, 01:41:22 PM »
For anyone who hasn’t been keeping track, Luke is seriously good—#10 or so ranked junior in the country having just finished his sophomore year in high school.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2024, 06:34:33 PM by Matt_Cohn »

George Pazin

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2024, 02:33:42 PM »
Go Luke go! Pretty amazing stuff. I think it's being broadcast on Peacock.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Matthew Rose

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2024, 10:11:25 AM »
I played Ballyneal with him when he was about 11 or so, and he beat the pants off me.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

JLahrman

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2024, 04:03:55 PM »
I played Ballyneal with him when he was about 11 or so, and he beat the pants off me.

Nothing like playing a top junior to want to make you quit any sport!

Looks like Luke lost in the round of 16, but you have to be a serious player to get to the final 16 of any USGA amateur tournament.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2024, 12:12:13 AM »
I see that next year’s championship, for which Luke is now exempt, will be at Trinity Forest. In Dallas. In mid-July.  :-X

Joe Zucker

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2024, 08:55:10 PM »
I see that next year’s championship, for which Luke is now exempt, will be at Trinity Forest. In Dallas. In mid-July.  :-X

Considering he finished 2nd in the Texas Amateur this year played at Trinity, I like his chances.  The course was basically tipped out and reasonably firm, so those were all very good scores on a difficult course.

https://www.golfgenius.com/pages/4800213

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2024, 10:05:41 PM »
Yeah they are. Maybe it's just that I live in a city that rarely gets above 75°, but I can't imagine walking Trinity Forest in mid-July, or even mid-June. That just sounds brutal.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back